Iron Horse 7pt good first fr/dh bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Iron Horse 7pt good first fr/dh bike?

I have been looking to get a first FR/DH specific bike and was seriously looking at the 2008 Iron Horse 7 point found here. I have been looking at both new and used bikes lately, but since RSCycles has been offering an additional 25% off their bikes lately I could buy this bike brand new for $1300. Seems like a pretty unbeatable deal, but I thought I'd ask opinions. I read the issues with Iron Horse as of late and am OK with that as long as the bike is still a good contender and value. So what do you think? Would this be a good bike to both learn on and beat into the ground replacing some of the weaker parts as they break, or should I look elsewhere?

Also fwiw, it would be intended for everything from shuttle runs and NorthStar days to aggressive trail riding with light climbing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    It was a dang good start for me. I loved that bike... but had to move on. It was a little too much travel for most of the local trails. But when I took it to Whistler and other lift accessed places it was right at home. I don't think that I ever regretted owning one. I did regret selling mine.
    Bikeless Rider

squish is good
    Yup it's good. Not really any weak parts on that thing to be honest. Thats a good deal too. Personally I'm a whore for used bikes but those are hard to find, for a reason.
    Bike good, work bad.

Bike Hustler
    I think that you'd find that bike would take everything you could throw at it. Great for a "first" bike because of the low price... not great as a "next" bike due to the resale value being aweful
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got an 05 7point and it's still going strong, maybe buy some bushings/bearings so you'll have parts if you decide to sell or do maintenace on it in the future. Parts like that may be hard to find now that they don't make the bikes anymore.

Capricious youth...
    I just sold my '05 frame only to try something new. But I loved that frame. Took two years of hardcore Freeride and DH, and a few different builds, and never gave me a problem. I'll miss that frame.
    Meh.

StraightOuttaCompton
    its a good bike. they are strong as heck and you can ride the hell out of them.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

N* Bomber Crew
    This thread makes me ask the opposite...what bike would make a BAD first bike?
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the responses. It seems like a good deal and I like the fact that it is more pedal friendly than a pure downhill bike, while still being far more capable than my regular XC/AM bike for shuttle runs and park days. For the price I think I'm going to give one a shot. Thanks again

StraightOuttaCompton
    very true. how about if your into biking, and your get a mongoose xr70 for dh. there you go. shitty first bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thats a sick bike at an amazing price.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    its a good bike. they are strong as heck and you can ride the hell out of them.
    Your name makes me think:

...EVERYTIME.
    Meh.

eci
    go for it, definetly a dh capable rig. i have 3 buddies that ride 7pts as their dh rigs

mtbr member
    Yes, they're excellent. Buy it and you wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i've got two friends w/ a 7 point, one guy picked his up for 700 BUCKS!!!! insane!!
    8BALL UP8

StraightOuttaCompton
    prettym1k3,

i go by dj, and my last name i wont say but it kinda sounds like ponee so i just put it so i could make a damn account. ha

Members who have read this thread: 0