Invincible 650 rimz? Anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Invincible 650 rimz? Anyone?

I'm looking for some strong ass rims that don't dent. I've ran WTB laser disc DH rims for 6 years straightand have a small dent and some wobble to them. WTB stopped making them and I'm going the 650 route now.
    WTB makes the i-pad series rims now, but I've heard they're not that great and are more suited for enduro.
    Carbon is out due to cost, reliability and the fact that I want a strong sidewall that can take abuse.
    Sun rims I will never touch again. I had the MTX rims for 1 season. 22 dents in the rear rim and 16 in the front was too much for me. I went to the WTBs and never looked back.
    Fwiw, I'm not light (260). I've been looking at Alex rims since they're inexpensive and seem to be rebranded all the time. How are the supras, or supra BH? Some of their rims will be available in 650 (one of those will).

Any other recommendations for a clyde? Thanks, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    DT Swiss FR570? They will be stronger than the EX471, which has been used on the WC circuit. I haven't tried them though, so I can't rate them based on experience.

brake later, pedal sooner
    "Carbon is out due to cost, reliability and the fact that I want a strong sidewall that can take abuse."
    Honestly, carbons only downside is cost. Enve's are more reliable and stronger than any aluminum rim you can get.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    Enve's are more reliable and stronger than any aluminum rim you can get.
    Stronger Yes. More reliable... not so much. The number of failures I've personally come across involving enve products are definitely up there.

That being said, when they are working, they are pretty dang good.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyToast View Post
    Stronger Yes. More reliable... not so much. The number of failures I've personally come across involving enve products are definitely up there.

That being said, when they are working, they are pretty dang good.
    I nose cased a 35 foot jump (hit the lip when it was wet, left a 2.5" deep rut hahaha) with my Enve M70's on my bronson last week and it didn't even tweak my wheel.

My ass landed to about 45 feet ... luckily the dirt was soft, but boy did it hurt....I would post the iphone video but it is too embarassing. I'm almost certain I would have taco'd any aluminum rim.

I have a new set of M90's I have yet to use. I had the old Enve DH wheels for 9+ months and thrashed them and they were basically still new so I was able to sell them for a couple hundred less than I paid.

I have faith these wheels will be reliable and last longer than anything else. I'd go through 3-4 set of aluminum wheels and constantly be truing/fixing...meanwhile the enve's are set and forget pretty much.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    subscribing gotta 650b on the way

the Flow EX rims are probably worth it...Derby makes some cheaper carbon fiber rims that are supposedly pretty beefy and a lot easier on the wallet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Fair enough ustemuf.

After spending 3 grand, and cracking both a front rim, and a direct mount stem, my enve boner has kinda gone limp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've heard the ibis wheels are incredibly solid. Pretty similar to the derby's.

Depending on what size tires you're running, velocity duallys (pretty heavy) or blunt 35's are pretty solid. Some of velocity's lighter rims are known for denting easy, I'm not sure about their heavier options. I've had no problems with my blunt 35's but there are no mountains or large patches of rock by me, just a lot of trees and sand.

I believe pacenti has a very good aluminum rim as well but I've only really looked over their lighter offerings. I think the DL-something is a heavier rim.

mtbr member
    Rims only dent when they make contact with the trail.
    If you frequently dent rims, consider upping PSI.
    Run tire PSI too low for terrain and riding style and you can dent any metal rim.
    Carbon is a bit different. Carbon rims can contact trail and not dent.
    I'd rather ride a rim that dents as opposed to cracks.
    If you put 22 dents in the rear and 16 in the front in 1 season you need to up your PSI.

mtbr member
    No. The psi was 30-35. The same I run with the WTB rims. The Sun MTX were pure junk.

Don't even know why we're mentioning carbon. I'd rather replace the MTX's yearly (cheaper) than spend 3x-10x the amount for a rim that will break vs dent.

How are the e13 rims? Fwiw, I was considering the DT 570 mentioned above too. Anyone with experience on the 26" or 650?
    Hubbard Bike Club

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Don't even know why we're mentioning carbon. I'd rather replace the MTX's yearly (cheaper) than spend 3x-10x the amount for a rim that will break vs dent.
    I agree those 26" WTB rims were pretty tough, still have one left that I rotate with a Supra D (and the other WTB was ok, I sold it cause the finish was 20% gone). I haven't found a similar 650b rim, but have not tried the Alex version yet... of those listed here that I've tried, from toughest 1st ime- 26" WTB laserdisc, 26" Alex Supra D, 650b WTB i25, 650b Pacenti DL31, 650b flow

I'd go with i25 for the bead seat, or DL31 the half dents aren't too bad and can be vised back to life somewhat (compared to the flows where they seem to flatten all the way), or try and Alex and let us know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I also run a WTB Laserdisc FR, still true as an arrow, that just finished its 6th season on the front. I sold the rear wheel last year when I got a new frame, but it was still perfect. I badly dented a rear en521, but the replacement Alex Supra D has survived 2 seasons without any damage or wobble. I do build wheels myself and tension them perfectly before every season, but these are 2 rims I would recommend highly. Nice width and strength, both around 570g and welded seams. As previously said, the WTBs have a great bead seat, and it seems that they have kept it on the Frquency i25 (same width and general construction as the LD FR, but without eyelets).

Im just about to build a new set with i25s (500g each), or order a cheap Canfield wheelset that are currently on sale real cheap. (26" on sale only)
    Last edited by guim; 12-15-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Damn ipad autocorrect

CoolArrow
    Haven't tried the 650 version of the MTX (there is one?), but I would say my 26" versions were like butter. Ran them on the DH bike, and got a ding in them first ride I think. To be fair, it took an entire season to crack the weld on them, but amount of dings in the wheel was crazy (I ride about 40psi, give or take). I wouldn't try a 650 version of the MTX.

My WTB laser disc wheels, on the other hand, too an incredible beating. Two harsh seasons of DH, with a couple dings, no cracks. It took a 12 hour DH race to really put the screws to the rear wheel. I'd try a set of 650 version Laser Disks in a heartbeat, I think WTB really makes a good product.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

Glad to Be Alive
    try the canfields High performance wheel hubs with faster spin for downhill mtb racing
    they are holding up very well on a buddy's dh bike....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pro Crastinator
    what rims are on the canfield wheelset? they are either an offering from Alex or Sun, but i'm too lazy to do the homework...

Merendon Junkie
    No. The psi was 30-35. The same I run with the WTB rims. The Sun MTX were pure junk.
    What else do you reccon is causing that rim to dent if not too low psi? Are they thicker or thiner than the WTBs? The rims dented because the wheel bottomed out, there is no other cause.

Anyways, I have a set of arch ex and they have been good so far, have never needed retruing and, no dents. The flows ex are supposed to be even tougher. I would look into those.

Cheers.
    Last edited by abelfonseca; 12-17-2014 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was looking for the Canfield Rims manufacturer too but couldn't find info. Judging by the website pictures, they look like an Alex Supra D variation, without eyelets and made of Dynamal alloy. The DH version of the Canfield wheels might have 30mm wide Supra 30 or Supra D rims, and the AM rims would be a 28mm wide version.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm hard on wheels and I've been through a lot of rims. Without going through all the ones I don't recommend, I'll just say DT Swiss EX471 and Enve M60/M70 get a thumbs up.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Pro Crastinator
    i figured a form of Supra D's as well...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    What else do you reccon is causing that rim to dent if not too low psi? Are they thicker or thiner than the WTBs? The rims dented because the wheel bottomed out, there is no other cause.
    Cheers.
    Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. Cheaper manufacturing, a bad choice of aluminum, too tall of a sidewall? If we had that answer, we'd all be riding the strongest rim. But several others have agreed they were junk too. Others agree that the WTBs were very good.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    DT Swiss FR570.

Proof? Sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I'm probably going that route (fr570) but I thought they said Gwinn races on the ex471 to save some weight.
    Hubbard Bike Club

2010 Glory custom FR
    That was EX471 Gwinn raced. Not FR570.
    You could see/touch THE rim during Eurobike. The rim has been devastated, but still in one piece
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    have put a few miles on the FR 570 rims. They are good, wide solid rims. Tough to beat these.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    I...I would post the iphone video but it is too embarassing. I'm almost certain I would have taco'd any aluminum rim.

I.

ahhh....we all need to laugh at ourselves sometimes....post the video
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuono View Post
    have put a few miles on the FR 570 rims. They are good, wide solid rims. Tough to beat these.
    What tires are you running? I built mine up last week and for the life of me, I can't get a tire on these things. DT said it's the tire of course, which is a Maxxis Minion. Thanks, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

banned
    Oct 2004
    What tires are you running? I built mine up last week and for the life of me, I can't get a tire on these things. DT said it's the tire of course, which is a Maxxis Minion. Thanks, Fahn
    I built some of these 570s up and got some Bontrager G5 2.5s on there w/o any issues. These are my backups for some LB 38mm, soon to be shoe'd w/ some DHF 2.5s

J:
    Swore off Bontrager and DT rims with shallow center channel years ago . Time to try them again
    video=youtube;][/video]...

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    DT Swiss FR570.

Proof? Sure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ
    I see 471 towards the end of that video...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Swore off Bontrager and DT rims with shallow center channel years ago . Time to try them again
    They still have a very shallow center channel and are next to impossible to get a tire on. Buyer beware!
    Hubbard Bike Club

squish, squish in da fish
    glad i saw this thread as i almost pulled the trigger on some 570's to mount with dhf's. that pisses me off, but i'm sure you're more pissed off

mtbr member
    Yes. Yes I am.

Maxxis wanted the tire back to see if it's their fault. That's going to take 3 weeks according to them.

DT claims that they asked around the office and nobody heard of this issue.

So in the mean time I have a bike that I waited 6 months for...
    Rims that I waited 8 months for...
    And a fork I waited 2 months for.

Now it's all here. But nothing works together! F'ing great.

Instead of companies working together, they're busy coming up with a new "standard" or something.

It sucks to own a shop these days. Can you imagine if this was for a regular customer? Yeah, we'll have a tire for you in 3 weeks... The customer would be out the door and not come back. Or, "I built you your wheels up. It's $900. The funny thing is, is that no tires fit these rims! Who knew? Anyway, with tax it's $954!"

F'ing ridiculous, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I went with Mavic EN 423 since it was cheaper than DT Swiss FR570. DT also got a rep of denting easier than Mavic. DT is listed at 590 g compared to 630 g of the Mavic. More is more.

^they're also much narrower and pinned

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im sure I will smash them soon anyway...

When I looked there was quite a few cheap rims that looked fine by me:

DT FR560
    Pancenti DL31
    Mavic EN 423
    etc.

I just went with the cheapest and heaviest. Even thou the pinned joint weighs more, I would guess it can take more of a beating.
    Last edited by Dystopism; 06-21-2015 at 11:41 AM.

larry, are you still pissed off with the rims? i really like the sounds of these and have been putting off buying a set of 650's but dual slalom don't play well with 700's

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Used Schwalbe Magic Marry's. Pumped up with floor pump. No issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A propper day of DH totaled my Mavic EN423. There was just nothing left of it, 15 dents and the pinned joint broke loose. I did bad things to it and was riding to low pressure, but it is not a durable rim by any means.

mtbr member
    I have been using DT FR 1950 Clasic rims (650b)for 6 months, no dents, haven't had to true them not even a loose spoke. I have been running Bontrager G4 Team Issue 2.35 tyres and can run stupid low pressures on some tracks. Tyres have been easy enough to get on and off, I was going to build up a spare set of rims but the reliability of this setup has allowed me to keep some cash in my pocket.

waxie where did you find just the hoops? all i can find in 5 sec on google are completes.

mtbr member
    Mine are completes, would be a shame if you can't buy spare rims for them in the off chance you run them over in your car. You could likely email DT and source some.

yeah i will, thx for the info.

J:

Anyone try these..

Alex Supra BH rim looks interesting, the internal profile looks solid like supra d..not hollow.. are these on those Canfield wheels?
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Members who have read this thread: 0