internally geared hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

internally geared hubs

is the shimano nexus internally geared hub capable of freeride abuse if mantained or is the roloff the only way to go. i'm sick of chainline issues and with running one ring wear and tear is so much worse. Any thoughts?

go big or go home
    my thoughts: $$$$$

Bike Hustler

word...

... the day I can afford a rolroff internal hub is the day you'll see me getting arrested on the 11:00 news for robbing a bank.

but hey, if you've got that knd of loot to drop....bombs-a-freek'n-way man!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    ... the day I can afford a rolroff internal hub is the day you'll see me getting arrested on the 11:00 news for robbing a bank.
    It's not so bad once you factor out the cost a new drivetrain: Shifters, derailleurs, cassette, rear hub.

Then estimate your replacement interval for those same parts, since the Speedhubs don't wear out and riders are reporting upwards of 50,000 miles on theirs and they're still rolling strong.

Plus it builds a stupid-strong rear wheel that'll take a beating for a long, long time.

I've got a Nexus on my street bike and while it does the job, it's nowhere near the muscle or finesse of the Rohloff. I don't think the Nexus would last more than a few rides off-road.

Former Noob Herder
    the Nexus has an emerging 8 speed sport model which is supposed to be alot stronger than previous but no one really knows how strong it is for rear wheel use (and so far far its not being made disc compatible). Its going to be used for GTs frame mounted tranny model so it can handle the torque, but may not last as a rear hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    the Nexus has an emerging 8 speed sport model which is supposed to be alot stronger than previous but no one really knows how strong it is for rear wheel use (and so far far its not being made disc compatible). Its going to be used for GTs frame mounted tranny model so it can handle the torque, but may not last as a rear hub.
    I've heard of some off-road successes with the SRAM 3 speed "Dual Drive" rear hub -- it's designed to take a disc brake plus an 8/9 speed cassette, but has been run single-cog style for a SS alternative. Supposedly better sealed than Nexus and Spectro, but the wheel build will be assymetrical like with a conventional hub.

I put a 7-speed SRAM Spectro internal hub on my wife's cruiser bike. It's got a wider range than Nexus, but doesn't appear to be any better sealed, and won't drop into gear following a shift unless pedaling pressure is nil.

I'm curious to try the new Nexus -- I'm hearing good things about the improvements, and the extra range is appealing for street riding.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    I put a 7-speed SRAM Spectro internal hub on my wife's cruiser bike. It's got a wider range than Nexus, but doesn't appear to be any better sealed, and won't drop into gear following a shift unless pedaling pressure is nil.

I'm curious to try the new Nexus -- I'm hearing good things about the improvements, and the extra range is appealing for street riding.
    and they have something that the Rohloff doesnt have which is a mechanism that helps the shift under power; harder you pedal, the easier it shifts. I dont see Shimano offering it with a disk tho.

ceteris paribus
    GT's prototype looks promising, specially since it keeps the gears away from all the RW violence... and it also gets internal shifting without adding rotating weight to your bike.
    It might just workout nice.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

inner peace to make peace

roloff?

how much? from where? roloff
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    how much? from where? roloff
    Ebay is usually the best place to find a deal on one. You'll see them pop up there with some regularity.

Former Noob Herder
    or the amazing power of google can find some answers http://www.google.ca/search?q=rohlof...en-US:official

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    or the amazing power of google can find some answers http://www.google.ca/search?q=rohlof...en-US:official
    Yeabut... a search for 'roloff' doesn't net the same quality results...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=roloff

Then again, a search for 'roloff' on ebay wouldn't turn much up, either!

mtbr member
    Rohloff is currently your only choice for a free-ridable geared hub.

I've tried the Nexus, and it survived 6month of XC before the half shaft broke. Similar experience with Sachs (now SRAM). My SRAM Duo-drive (3-speed cassette hub) is still working, but Red Haze broke his within a year, and mine is sounding pretty gritty. The new premium Nexus 8-speed might be better, but my understanding is that they only added roller bearing to the gears to reduce friction. I'll have to test it out one day, but they are pretty rare where I live.

My Rohloff has been great. Initial cost is equivalent to XTR - amortized cost is less. Weight is more.

Cheers,

Tom