Interlocracing's Dual Banger Mech brakes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Interlocracing's Dual Banger Mech brakes.

Has anyone heard anything about these new calipers by Interloc Racing? The double action piston thing looks cool. There website has very little info on them. I've emailed them and have not heard back . Anybody got any info? Has anyone seen a proto or anything???
    GOD made DIRT & DIRT don't hurt!!!

Former Noob Herder
    bah, hydro brakes have been doing that for years

mtbr member

Bah, But!!!!

I'm not sure about spending all that money on Hydros. It looks loke a big pain in the A to maintian them. Do they ever bust a leek on the trail Then whadda ya do?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Thumper
    I'm not sure about spending all that money on Hydros. It looks loke a big pain in the A to maintian them. Do they ever bust a leek on the trail Then whadda ya do?
    alot of people dont realise how standard and reliable hydros are. Look at any DH mountain and you'll notice hydros make up for 95% of brakes used nowadays. I've onle cut one line in 3 years and that was due to my own stupidity, not anything done on the trail. In general, hydros require alot less maintenance too, you can run them for a year or two without bleeding on the better systems.

But if your keen on mechs, Avids have been the proven choice.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    alot of people dont realise how standard and reliable hydros are. Look at any DH mountain and you'll notice hydros make up for 95% of brakes used nowadays. I've onle cut one line in 3 years and that was due to my own stupidity, not anything done on the trail. In general, hydros require alot less maintenance too, you can run them for a year or two without bleeding on the better systems.

But if your keen on mechs, Avids have been the proven choice.
    I've never cut a line on my hydraulic brakes, and haven't bled them in the last 6 months, still run perfectly fine. Hydros are a great investment and will last a long time.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I've never cut a line on my hydraulic brakes, and haven't bled them in the last 6 months, still run perfectly fine. Hydros are a great investment and will last a long time.
    besides, debating the merits of hydros is sooo 4 years ago....

Cynical Bystander
    besides, debating the merits of hydros is sooo 4 years ago....
    Thats cool. Im not sure if my hydros have ever been bled....(im not the original owner.)
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member

SO>>>>>

Do you think these new double action mechs are a good investment? If not should I go with Hayes or Avid Juicy? Right now, I run Avid mechs with 7" rotors and want to upgrade the fron't to a 8" rotor. Oh, pray tell, what shall I do

ballbuster

I've been digging those IRD brakes too...

...but I'm gonna let somebody else beta test them first. I would say go with something proven already. It looks like they are trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. Single piston action disc brakes work well already. I have seen none of the issues they are citing. I get one finger lockups and good modulation as it is. The only real nit I can pick is that the pads wear more unevenly that with dual action, but not by a lot.

I use Avid Mechs, and they rock, but I'll prolly go with hydros for my next brakes.

Former Noob Herder
    Do you think these new double action mechs are a good investment? If not should I go with Hayes or Avid Juicy? Right now, I run Avid mechs with 7" rotors and want to upgrade the fron't to a 8" rotor. Oh, pray tell, what shall I do
    dont bother changing one set of mechs for another, its completly pointless and not even an upgrade. The only benefit from dual piston movement is it garantees no drag, it doesnt increase power (the Interlocs might even be weaker than the much heralded Avids).

If you want to upgrade, go hydros, like the Hayes Mags (not HFX-9s!). The Juicys look really good on paper but its still very new and you might have problems finding the larger rotors for now; they are also quite pricy like the Hopes and Maguras. Shimano is another option.

Some Assembly Required

I use the Juicys w/ 8" rotors....

they are worth the cost to upgrade to hydros. I use one hand to modulate both levers & hydros were a God send to the stress on my hand when I dh. I have a set of Avid 'chanicals on my RM Reaper ht. They're good but the hydros require no maintenence, 'cept turnin' the lil red dial to adjust pad contact, which is sweet I might add.
    If you are already runnin' Avid stuff then I would recommend stickin' w/them. ALL of the adapters & pads will interchange. The only problem is getting them .
    I got a Bullit that took forever to get, (note: forever in this case was 2 months of "you know what" waiting for it ), then had to wait another 2 months for the Juicys to come in.
    Just be prepared to wait, the good thing is; it's worth the wait, IF you have something to ride while you wait.

ballbuster

Heck...

dont bother changing one set of mechs for another, its completly pointless and not even an upgrade. The only benefit from dual piston movement is it garantees no drag, it doesnt increase power (the Interlocs might even be weaker than the much heralded Avids).

If you want to upgrade, go hydros, like the Hayes Mags (not HFX-9s!). The Juicys look really good on paper but its still very new and you might have problems finding the larger rotors for now; they are also quite pricy like the Hopes and Maguras. Shimano is another option.
    ...correctly set up single action, single piston brakes create no drag as well. You're supposed to set them up with a small gap between the static pad and the rotor, and the rotor gets flexed over to the static pad by the active pad.

As kludgey as this sounds, it works great with a minimum of weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any hydro will be better and more trouble free than any mechanical brake. The new hayes are a pain in the a$$ to bleed though. It will take a few times to get it right just be patient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sorry to get slightly off subject but...

HFX-9's...if I upgrade the lever/reservoirs, would I have a simular setup to the Hayes Mag setup ???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interloc has bad customer service in my experience with them.

I was thinking about buying some of their hydro Dual Bangers because they were on clearance. Tried calling up their customer service to get the skinny on their proprietary hydro fluid and never got an answer after about 4 emails and 1 month later.

So I gave them a call on their phone line and it just rang and rang. No voicemail or anything. Then when I did get through it was some guy who just answered "Hello". I thought I had reached the wrong number. Then he sold it was Interloc after I asked him to verify the phone number. The number was a cell phone number and I lost connection with him.

I gave up on Interloc then there.

Card Carrying Member
    How often do you get stuck out in your car and have to bleed your brakes to get home? I'd be willing to guess for most ppl that's NEVER. Same thing on a bike, only smaller. It's not rocket surgery to bleed them anyway, cars OR bikes.

I rode mechanical Avid's for a little over 2 years and just switched to Juicys a couple weeks ago. Man, what a difference a good hydro makes. Here's a hint at their modulation... Before I had tried nose wheelies down things, but it was always a little too sketchy, I was either over or not enough, no middle, didn't feel comfy. After getting these broken in, the very first one I tried was long enough to startle me at how easy and bring a smile ear to ear. I really did just buy a skill (sorta) and they were worth every penny. Now to get a bigger rotor up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have never had a hydro failure on the trails

I have never had a hydro failure on the trail. I crashed up on the Big Bear DH course and my bars spin around like crazy and I thought my hoses were going to get yanked and stuff. No such thing, picked up my bike and my hoses were just fine. No leaks at all.

I have ridden Avids and hydros and must say that I prefer the lever feel of the hydro. Both were great stoppers, it's just a personal preference for me.

bpuodt
    Hydros have gotten better, BUT

It's stupid to say they are superior to Avids Mechs in reliability. That's just flat out wrong!

Last time I checked, a brake cable is strong enough to hold my 200# ass off the floor when hanging from it. In my near 15 years of MTB, I've never once seen a single brake cable snap that was intact to begin with. The only brake cable I've seen snap was when my buddy had his down to TWO strings left and a branch ripped it off. There should be no question that a brake cable is mucho strongero than a hydro hose. I would expect my avid claiper to tear right off before my cable even get's to 50% of its breaking point. Unless you run solid metal hydro lines on your bike, they are not going to be stronger and less prone to breaking than a cable. The only maintenance on a cable is taking it out once every several months of nasty use and lube it. I use olive oil to lube mine and couldn't be any happier, smoooooooth.

Another mistake is trying to compare Cars to bikes. It's just foolish. Cars don't have to worry about too much weight in the brake system so they get away with solid metal lines, half a quart of reserve fluid, extra double ply tubes where they bend at the wheels, and tons of other stuff that makes them more reliable, but very heavy. Last time I checked no one uses hydro disc brakes with solid lines or large amounts of backup fluid on the handle bars.

The problem with MTB hydro brakes is that they are trying to achieve TWO things that make for less reliability. Lightweight AND cheap. You have to pay well over $200 per brake for nice quality hydros. They make cheaper ones but they just are not to the same level of performance OR reliability.

IMO, Expensive Mech > cheaper but equally priced Cheapo Hydro
    Expensive Hydro > everything else (although not "more" reliable than the Avid mech, better performance)

The whole "look at DH bikes" statement is also pretty foolish. I don't think many people (if any) ride DH bikes on anything other than DH. It's not a big deal when you have a small leak or a rubbing rotor to end a run at the ski resort and get it checked. Big woop. How about those of us who like to do 30 mile epic rides on our Freeride rigs? I can't leasurely coast my bike into the bike shop when I'm 15 miles for my car, which itself is 40 miles from any bike shop. What if I'm on a 4500 vertical foot steep descent and I loose fluid?

I'm sorry, but for the type of riding I do reliability is NUMBER 1! IMO Avid mechs are 100% reliable and fixable on the trail side. Some hydros can get close, but will never be trailside fixable on long rides.
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 10-08-2005 at 08:52 AM.

For Those About To Ride
    i run hydros on my dhi and since thats my only bike i use it for everything. i run avids in the back and e4's up front. i have been running like that for abouit 6 months and no problems at all. i just put them on and they work perfectly. and even if something happens which is unlikly on the trail, u still have the other brake so you can finish the ride.

mtbr member
    The dual Bangers are just not a good brake. Stick to Avid.
    Stuff.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by nydave
    HFX-9's...if I upgrade the lever/reservoirs, would I have a simular setup to the Hayes Mag setup ???
    no...

mtbr member

Dual Banger Reviews

They finally got some real magazine reviews for these brakes.
    They have scans of the articles on their site. They dig the performance and the price generally. The only thing is that it is a little heavier than an Avid.

[QUOTE=Trail Thumper]Has anyone heard anything about these new calipers by Interloc Racing? The double action piston thing looks cool. There website has very little info on them. I've emailed them and have not heard back

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Hydros have gotten better, BUT

It's stupid to say they are superior to Avids Mechs in reliability. That's just flat out wrong!

Last time I checked, a brake cable is strong enough to hold my 200# ass off the floor when hanging from it. In my near 15 years of MTB, I've never once seen a single brake cable snap that was intact to begin with. The only brake cable I've seen snap was when my buddy had his down to TWO strings left and a branch ripped it off. There should be no question that a brake cable is mucho strongero than a hydro hose. I would expect my avid claiper to tear right off before my cable even get's to 50% of its breaking point. Unless you run solid metal hydro lines on your bike, they are not going to be stronger and less prone to breaking than a cable. The only maintenance on a cable is taking it out once every several months of nasty use and lube it. I use olive oil to lube mine and couldn't be any happier, smoooooooth.

Another mistake is trying to compare Cars to bikes. It's just foolish. Cars don't have to worry about too much weight in the brake system so they get away with solid metal lines, half a quart of reserve fluid, extra double ply tubes where they bend at the wheels, and tons of other stuff that makes them more reliable, but very heavy. Last time I checked no one uses hydro disc brakes with solid lines or large amounts of backup fluid on the handle bars.

The problem with MTB hydro brakes is that they are trying to achieve TWO things that make for less reliability. Lightweight AND cheap. You have to pay well over $200 per brake for nice quality hydros. They make cheaper ones but they just are not to the same level of performance OR reliability.

IMO, Expensive Mech > cheaper but equally priced Cheapo Hydro
    Expensive Hydro > everything else (although not "more" reliable than the Avid mech, better performance)

The whole "look at DH bikes" statement is also pretty foolish. I don't think many people (if any) ride DH bikes on anything other than DH. It's not a big deal when you have a small leak or a rubbing rotor to end a run at the ski resort and get it checked. Big woop. How about those of us who like to do 30 mile epic rides on our Freeride rigs? I can't leasurely coast my bike into the bike shop when I'm 15 miles for my car, which itself is 40 miles from any bike shop. What if I'm on a 4500 vertical foot steep descent and I loose fluid?

I'm sorry, but for the type of riding I do reliability is NUMBER 1! IMO Avid mechs are 100% reliable and fixable on the trail side. Some hydros can get close, but will never be trailside fixable on long rides.
    Well said, total agreement here.
    Mechs = simplicity, reliability, and proven function. My 8" Avid mechs haul my fat ass down to a dead stop with one finger, effortlessly. And I could replace a broken cable 100 miles out in the woods no sweat but that's not likely to be needed.

mtbr member
    Crap. That review sucked.

I really gotta write mine, but the guys at Interloc are good people, adn I hate writing bad reviews for companies run by good people.
    Stuff.