Intense vs. Michelin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Intense vs. Michelin

Hey, right now I've got Intense FRO's. 2.5 DH front, 2.5 WC rear. I don't know if the rear tire is old or just dried out, but the knobs super hard, my fingernail can barely mark the tread. For what is supposed to be sticky rubber, it's pooched. So, I want to try something different on the back. Reason I went with Intense in the first place is because of they're super heavy-duty casing. I hate flats. If I was to go to a Michy in the back, would it be sacrificing alot of the protection I had? How is the Michy's casing? I'm on the fence between a 2.5" Comp 24.1 or a DH16. Im in Ontario, Canada, where the race courses vary from a little hardpack, to loose, to lots of rocks over in Quebec for a few races.

So should I get a Michelin if it's going to have a pretty tough casing, and which one? Or stick with Intense and get another FRO DH?

Thanks
    22Pride

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I'm a Michelin fan so I may be a tad bias, but you should really give them a shot. I have never heard of a casing problem and they're tough as a dirt bike tire in person.

I spent some time on the shore with a set of Comp 16's and was riding in the wet (Seymore) and they never slipped on slimey wood, or mud, or anything else for that matter. I was really blown away. In the dry they work great too, but roll a bit slow due to the rubber compound. They wear O.K. but not great... All soft tires wear fast, It seems these wear better than Maxxis Super Tackys which I'm on now.

I like the Comp 16 just cause it has more bite and seems more well rounded. A lot of people seem to trim knobs on their Comp 24's for better cornering, but I don't speak from expierience since I've never ran one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    As far as I know Michelin doesn't even make bikes!!

So I'm going to have to say Intense!!

Michelin does make some sweet tires though, much better IMO than the Intense offerings.

Old No. 7
    I'd think those Intense tires are overkill... and heavy. 2ply with propper pressure should be enough to keep you from getting flats all the time. And if you're still getting flats a lot, you need practice with line choice and lightening up the bike at the right times.
    Last edited by fred.r; 03-11-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Did you even read the dudes question?
    Not really. But after further review, I'm pretty sure line 3 of my original post covered his question. The rest is just superfluous.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    Not really. But after further review, I'm pretty sure line 3 of my original post covered his question. The rest is just superfluous.
    Yeah... I didn't fully read your post. Read line one and two.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go with the dh24 in the back but cut it, dont run a dh16 if you ride hardpack. I'd ditch the front intense for a dh32 too. The dh32/dh42 tire combo is my favorite.

mtbr member
    My frineds runnin some michelins and he says they hook up real well. Knobby ass tires. I forgot the name.

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks for the replies. I'll probably pick a set of Michys up for the season. One quick question, does anyone know if Specialized Chunder Pro's (2.5") are dual ply or single ply? I've got a barely used set I may give a try. If they're dual ply, that even better.
    22Pride

Bottlerockin'
    I hate to break the trend. But I haven't really been pleased with my DH24s from Michelin. Wash too easy, grip just okay, wear is alright...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd agree with Fred.R in the fact that if you're consistently pinching modern 2-ply tires then more likley than not, you're doing somethinbg wrong.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    As far as I know Michelin doesn't even make bikes!!

So I'm going to have to say Intense!!

Michelin does make some sweet tires though, much better IMO than the Intense offerings.

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Just because a company doesn't make bikes doesn't mean they can't produce superior quality tires which michelin does over Intense for the most part.

You might have forgot that Michelin produces top-end, and very expensive, race/street tires for cars, street bikes, dirt bikes, mTBs, you name it. If your going to base this on glammer and build, pick the right one for crying out loud!
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Just because a company doesn't make bikes doesn't mean they can't produce superior quality tires which michelin does over Intense for the most part.

You might have forgot that Michelin produces top-end, and very expensive, race/street tires for cars, street bikes, dirt bikes, mTBs, you name it. If your going to base this on glammer and build, pick the right one for crying out loud!
    Does anybody understand SARCASM?

Oh BTW, if you'd taken the time to read the whole post I made, I chose the Mich's over the Intense tires. Good job ACE, way to keep up on those reading apprehension skills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist

Remove stick from anus then read again

mtbr member
    I must agree with what others have said as far as the usage of the Michelin Tires. If you are going to run mostly hardpack, I would run a DH 24 and you can cut them if you want (I should have pictures of us cutting them if you need to see some) as many of our athletes prefer them that way. If you are going to be running in more of a loose or slightly muddy terrain, the DH16 is certainly the way to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0