Intense M1 seatstay strut, derailleur hanger- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Intense M1 seatstay strut, derailleur hanger

I called up Intense to get a crash replacement 2001 small M1 seatstay strut beacuase my non replaceable derailleur hanger is cracked and barely hangling on. Intense said they don't know when they will make more of them and they may never make them anymore. My options are: find someone that has a used 2000 thru 2003 seatstay strut for a small M1, make my own replaceable derailluer hanger and mod the frame, have Rissie Racing fab the seatstay or get a crash replacement M3 for a discounted price.
    Thanks for any help.
    Erik

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by BalleRacing
    I called up Intense to get a crash replacement 2001 small M1 seatstay strut beacuase my non replaceable derailleur hanger is cracked and barely hangling on. Intense said they don't know when they will make more of them and they may never make them anymore. My options are: find someone that has a used 2000 thru 2003 seatstay strut for a small M1, make my own replaceable derailluer hanger and mod the frame, have Rissie Racing fab the seatstay or get a crash replacement M3 for a discounted price.
    Thanks for any help.
    Erik
    How much of a discount are they offering? All the fab work could add up to alot. Might be better off w/ the M3. Some really good shops might be able to weld on a new hanger after fabbing a new one. i know my shp in NYC here could do it but i got a feeling ur out west. The older M1 that u have is gonna potentially have the same issues down the road. The M3 has replacable hanger and is VPP type layout. Much better than the old 4 bar design / the pivot above the axel. 2700 retail is a big nut tho. maybe w/ the discount it wont hurt too much. Good luck.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for any help.
    Erik
    If there's nothing else wrong with the frame, it might be worthwhile to try and mod the frame yourself, you've done some CNC work in the past (that Balley Hayes pivot tool was your invention, if I recall correctly?) so it shouldn't be totally ridiculous.

If you can't figure something out, you might want to keep your eyes open for blowout pricing on DH frames rather than sinking more cash into Intense since they will probably stop making M3s and parts for them in a few years as well.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member
    Repack on RM did this thread last year, but all I saved was his pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    How much of a discount are they offering? All the fab work could add up to alot. Might be better off w/ the M3. Some really good shops might be able to weld on a new hanger after fabbing a new one. i know my shp in NYC here could do it but i got a feeling ur out west. The older M1 that u have is gonna potentially have the same issues down the road. The M3 has replacable hanger and is VPP type layout. Much better than the old 4 bar design / the pivot above the axel. 2700 retail is a big nut tho. maybe w/ the discount it wont hurt too much. Good luck.
    The crash replacement discount would be around $1780 verses $2700 for full retail. I don't have the $1780 now, so I am going to see if anyone has a extra M1 seatstay, if I can't find one I think I will design a replaceable derailleur hanger.

Bum Buzzer
    why not a saint rear derailleur? need the saint axel too....?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    If there's nothing else wrong with the frame, it might be worthwhile to try and mod the frame yourself, you've done some CNC work in the past (that Balley Hayes pivot tool was your invention, if I recall correctly?) so it shouldn't be totally ridiculous.

If you can't figure something out, you might want to keep your eyes open for blowout pricing on DH frames rather than sinking more cash into Intense since they will probably stop making M3s and parts for them in a few years as well.
    James, Yes I designed the Hayes pivot tool. The rest of the frame is in good shape so I think it will be worth it to mod the frame.

Can't get right...
    The crash replacement discount would be around $1780 verses $2700 for full retail. I don't have the $1780 now, so I am going to see if anyone has a extra M1 seatstay, if I can't find one I think I will design a replaceable derailleur hanger.

Beg, borrow or steal. Or use ur tax return like me. Thats a smokin deal. I might get it at dealer cost in feb when uncle sam cuts my big check. If i convince my shop to carry Intense. 1789$ w/ a DHX 5 is a great price for a sweet bike. Or go SS which sux for DH
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    Thanks for the picture. I think I will make something simular to that, I will design it up in SolidWorks and do some FEA stress analysis in COSMOS to make sure I don't weaken the drop-outs too much.

mtbr member

will this fit

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intense-Uzzi-SL-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for any help.
    Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    why not a saint rear derailleur? need the saint axel too....?
    I was thinking of using the Saint rear deailleur but I am using a Hadley rear hub. Hadley said it will be at least another month before they have a 12mm x 135mm rear axle for the Saint derailleur. Doesn't the Saint derailleur need the derailluer hanger for anti-rotation?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am not sure if the Uzzi will fit. It looks like the dropouts are much smaller than the M1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    I got one of the replaceable derailleur hangers on order that looks like that picture. It is for a Intense Uzzi SLX and a 2003 M1. I will mod the frame and add a pocket, I may have to add a backup aluminum washer where the counter bore is so it can handle the compressive load of the axle. I don't think I can machine the pocket down to the counterbore it would put the derailleur hanger too close to the hub and it would weaken the frame too much.
    Thanks from all of everyones help on this,
    Erik,
    Last edited by BalleRacing; 10-07-2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks for any help.
    Erik
    How cheap is the crash replacement M-3 (very sweet bike)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Congrats on 12000 you whore
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The crash replacement is $1789 with shock.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Thanks for any help.
    Erik
    I will check with my buddy who has some Intense stuff lying around the garage. I'm not talking junk though. I remember seeing a few rear ends and I do know he has a couple of M1's lying around. I'll let ya know.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    I will check with my buddy who has some Intense stuff lying around the garage. I'm not talking junk though. I remember seeing a few rear ends and I do know he has a couple of M1's lying around. I'll let ya know.
    Thanks, I may be interested in buying the seatstay of a M1 if I can't mod my frame to fit a replaceable derailleur hanger. If your friend has a complete M1 that is broken he can send it in to Intense and get a new M3 with shock for $1789.
    Erik,

Cynical Bystander
    Hey SMT, guess who's M3 this is that is currently sitting in my room?

Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

That one dude
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    If your buddy has a chainstay (pair) for an 02/03 M1 laying around, I'd certainly be interested in taking them off his hands...
    @cjcrashesalot

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Hey SMT, guess who's M3 this is that is currently sitting in my room?

mine............... if i ever knew where you lived...but it wouldn't have a boxxer long...friends don't let friends ride boxxers
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    The crash replacement is $1789 with shock.
    ask for a better deal

Members who have read this thread: 0