Installing something need help- Mtbr.com
    Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005

Installing something need help

I am about to install my cassette to my rear rim, is there anything I need to do or grease anyhting particular? I heard something about the freehub splines, is that the actual hub itself? Otherwise it seems pretty clear and I have all the right tools, so please let me know.

Thanks, Shredder111

mtbr member
    I would not attach a cassette to a rim. I would consider attaching it to the rear hub.

no need to grease, just slide it on and torque it down.

Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    I am about to install my cassette to my rear rim, is there anything I need to do or grease anyhting particular? I heard something about the freehub splines, is that the actual hub itself? Otherwise it seems pretty clear and I have all the right tools, so please let me know.

Thanks, Shredder111

Meh.
    It doesn't hurt to put a little grease on the freehub and lock ring threads.

mtbr member
    I've never heard of anyone greasing the freehub itself, or seen a reason to do so, but a little grease on the lockring would be a good idea.

Bike Ninja |||
    I put a thin film of grease (or copper anti-seize if it's a ti hub body). it doesn't hurt anything, and aids in cassette removal later.

but i don't see a need to grease the hub it's self.. unless you need to rebuild it. but just on the freehub body.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Just grease the whole bike, front to rear, before you ride it. You put spokes/nipples into your damn rim, not the cassette - that goes on the cassette body which is part of the hub.

For the love of christ just take the bike to a shop to have them put it together. Let them know what you were thinking of doing to it so they know what sort of headache they are saving themselves from later on....

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Just grease the whole bike, front to rear, before you ride it. .
    HA, haha. Good thinking! I think I will take that advice and use it when I build the R9 next time I am home. All the parts are on the way or being built as we speak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Actually, I would love to see a photo of the cassette attached to the rear rim........???

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    I've never heard of anyone greasing the freehub itself, or seen a reason to do so, but a little grease on the lockring would be a good idea.
    I've been doing it at all the shops. And so have the other mechanics. It doesn't hurt, it keeps the cassette from seizing on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I've been doing it at all the shops. And so have the other mechanics. It doesn't hurt, it keeps the cassette from seizing on.
    I've been working in a shop for a few years and havn't seen anyone do this, and havn't seen a siezed on cassette. Like I said, I can't think of a good reason not to, but I don't think it's nessicary either.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jckuretich
    Actually, I would love to see a photo of the cassette attached to the rear rim........???
    you guys are all as$holes, it works GREAT!
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You are at the point where you should check the hub bearings for proper grease and bearing tension. Do this before you put your cassette on. It does not hurt to put a light coat of grease on the freehub body. It may only help keep it from rusting, but it sure does not hurt anything.

mtbr member

meh

Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Just grease the whole bike, front to rear, before you ride it. You put spokes/nipples into your damn rim, not the cassette - that goes on the cassette body which is part of the hub.

For the love of christ just take the bike to a shop to have them put it together. Let them know what you were thinking of doing to it so they know what sort of headache they are saving themselves from later on....
    i disagree. if he doesn't know how to install a cassette, then he should learn. it's a good thing to know, like all bike maintenance, and it's not rocket science.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Cassette lock ring torque?

no need to grease, just slide it on and torque it down.[/QUOTE]

After reading the posts, I'm still not clear whether or not to put grease on the freehub. I am installing a 9 speed cassette with titanium cogs on a Crossmax SL wheel (hub). I'd really like to do the job myself, but what's this *&^%^ about torque??? Do I need a torque wrench? How many ftlbs of force?

Meh.
    Do not need a torque wrench. Just make it nice and tight.

It does not hurt to apply a little grease to the freehub.

mtbr member
    You also do not need to apply grease to the freehub. Just make sure it is free of debris.

It does not hurt to use a torque wrench and torque to the manufacture specification.

Do not need a torque wrench. Just make it nice and tight.

It does not hurt to apply a little grease to the freehub.

General Rabble-Rouser

dissimilar metal corrosion. a small amount of grease goes a looooooong way

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    You also do not need to apply grease to the freehub. Just make sure it is free of debris.

It does not hurt to use a torque wrench and torque to the manufacture specification.
    Try reading. IT DOES NOT HURT.

mtbr member
    Try reading - IT DOES NOT HURT to use a torque wrench either.........

Try reading. IT DOES NOT HURT.

mtbr member
    You do not need to grease the splines, I have removed and installed literally thousands of cassettes and have never had an issue of not being able to remove the cassette due to metal corrosion causing the cassette to bond to the freehub. Grease the threads however... little or a lot it doesn't matter just remember to wipe away the excess. As far as torquing it down goes, I usually stick my cassette tool upside down (splines pointing up) in a vise, lightly thread on the lock ring, turn the wheel over onto the cassette tool, and tighten the cassette on by spinning the wheel clockwise... stop when it gets hard to turn (you'll feel notches as you thread it on, when the notches become harder to achieve, stop).

Congratulations, you've just installed a cassette.

mtbr member
    Now the question is do I grease the threads of the bolts that I use to mount my vice to my workbench?

Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    You do not need to grease the splines, I have removed and installed literally thousands of cassettes and have never had an issue of not being able to remove the cassette due to metal corrosion causing the cassette to bond to the freehub. Grease the threads however... little or a lot it doesn't matter just remember to wipe away the excess. As far as torquing it down goes, I usually stick my cassette tool upside down (splines pointing up) in a vise, lightly thread on the lock ring, turn the wheel over onto the cassette tool, and tighten the cassette on by spinning the wheel clockwise... stop when it gets hard to turn (you'll feel notches as you thread it on, when the notches become harder to achieve, stop).

Congratulations, you've just installed a cassette.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Try reading - IT DOES NOT HURT to use a torque wrench either.........
    It doesn't hurt when you jump off a 10-story building. REALLY. Try it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thats awesome......good to see its working for you. Thanks for the photo. you shut my ass up. Happy riding

mtbr member
    Grease on threads only, not on splines. Grease attracts dirt, dirt causes wear/slop, so yes there can be harm if you grease them (tho the likelyhood of that are probably up there with the cassette corroding to the spline, LMFAO! Still there is absolutely NO reason to grease the spline).

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Uh huh. As long as you grease up first, right?

It doesn't hurt when you jump off a 10-story building. REALLY. Try it.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    Grease on threads only, not on splines. Grease attracts dirt, dirt causes wear/slop, so yes there can be harm if you grease them (tho the likelyhood of that are probably up there with the cassette corroding to the spline, LMFAO! Still there is absolutely NO reason to grease the spline).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Not exposed. No reason NOT to grease the splines.

mtbr member
    There's no seal there, they are exposed, and if you've ever taken one off that had been greased up it's covered in dirt. Wish I would have had a pic of that one I had about a month ago.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Meh.
    By that logic, pedals and seatposts should be covered in dirt too. There are no seals around those.

mtbr member
    sure, a little grease on this wouldnt hurt.......

mtbr member
    By that logic, pedals and seatposts should be covered in dirt too. There are no seals around those.
    Uhm, just so you have the opportunity to get your 8,900th post (congrats btw) with another comeback...

Clamped seatposts have a tolerance FAR tighter than a cogset on the freehub spline and yes, my Time clipless are sealed - sealed bearings and rubber seal on the outside where the spindle fits in. Now my Truvativ platforms are not and, well, after 3 rides the bearings seize so I pull them apart, clean and regrease which is really starting to get old, LOL!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Meh.
    Pedal spindle. The threads that go into the crank. I'm pretty sure there's no seal around that. Nor is there a seal around my bottom bracket threads. Hey, there's no seal around my crank/spindle interface either!

You're right, seatposts are to a tighter tolerance, and the clamp squeezes the top shut. But I've pulled off my cassettes and the grease was the same color as when I put it on. No, you don't HAVE to grease it, but it doesn't hurt.

I just like to give you guys a hard time.

Members who have read this thread: 0