installing a headset?- Mtbr.com
    jibber of the unjibbable

installing a headset?

maybe a stupid question, but how do you go about it? I have access to an arbor press, do I just press the cups into the frame and that's it?
    Boogie down to free James Brown

V10 Freerider
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

jibber of the unjibbable
    funkin A man! thanks

how'd the DD trip go? poteau was still a ruff & tuff mutha scratcher. I'm thinking about going down and kind cutting a trail along the jeep road that uses some of the "funner" parts of the jeep road, but cuts out some of the nearly impossible sections

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    funkin A man! thanks

how'd the DD trip go? poteau was still a ruff & tuff mutha scratcher. I'm thinking about going down and kind cutting a trail along the jeep road that uses some of the "funner" parts of the jeep road, but cuts out some of the nearly impossible sections
    Thats how I do all of mine and it works like a harm.
    The DD trip was rockin. These guys had never been on a DH course and one of them had a brand new bike that he had not really ridden. I thought DD was more prudent . I was sure they could handle Cavanaul Mtn. I would love to help get something going at Poteau. It would not take too much, just some raking and moving some timber.

Good luck with the new rig this weekend. Get a top podium for the okies would ya.

C
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

jibber of the unjibbable
    cool deal

yeah, the frame & wheelset gets here tomorrow, so I have to put the damn thing together hastily, pack up and leave early saturday morning and get some runs on the new rig to try to get it dialed

Xtremely Moderate
    That homemade headset tool was kewl. Thanks for the link.

But, a shop up the street from me will press one for $5.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    That homemade headset tool was kewl. Thanks for the link.

But, a shop up the street from me will press one for $5.
    Thats a rockin price. (should never be more than that but it is) I like to work on my bike(s) and I hate taking them to the shop. It gets too time consuming and expensive to take the bikes in when they need lovin...

mtbr member
    maybei'm more redneck than you cooter (Though i doubt that ) But i use to install them with a hammer and piece of 2x4 on my bmx bike when i use to race. I have never installed a headset on a mtb though, and they do look different than bmx headsets. I used the same method to get my crank arms off my mtb bike becouse i don't The proper crank arm removel tool. Just remeber if ever in doubt on which tool to use, just get a bigger hammer.

Pro Crastinator
    i just use a hammer,..
    square up the cup and smack it home. never messed up a cup or headtube in 25 years.....

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i just use a hammer,..
    square up the cup and smack it home. never messed up a cup or headtube in 25 years.....
    Will that void the warranty on that canfield?

Is this you about to install said headset?
    Last edited by Frankenschwinn; 05-19-2005 at 08:53 AM. Reason: stuff to add

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    Will that void the warranty on that canfield?

only if it's painted rootbeer and has toe strap pedals on it

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by skin6061
    maybei'm more redneck than you cooter (Though i doubt that ) But i use to install them with a hammer and piece of 2x4 on my bmx bike when i use to race. I have never installed a headset on a mtb though, and they do look different than bmx headsets. I used the same method to get my crank arms off my mtb bike becouse i don't The proper crank arm removel tool. Just remeber if ever in doubt on which tool to use, just get a bigger hammer.
    They are the same only maybe bigger dia. than when you raced BMX.