Indoor Bike Storage- Mtbr.com
    9 Lives Baby!

Indoor Bike Storage

Does anyone have a good way to store three bikes inside, like maybe hanging up? I have an Intense M1, a Specialized Enduro and a Santa Cruz Bullit. I'm moving into a condo and need to store them on some kind of frame or something.
    Pics would be good!

Thanks.

mtbr member

Just did the same thing...

OK, I'm not sure if you mean inside your home, or just in a home in general, so here's two different ideas:

1)
    We moved to our first home last month, and the first thing I did was make use of the garage for hanging bikes.

Bike storage was a major selling point of the place that we bought - there is a perfect alcove that allows us to hang up to 8 bikes (not that we have quite that many) at once.

Anyway, we put a 2x10 across the top and used 3.5" screws (#10 I think) to mount it to the studs behind the drywall. We then put another 2x4 below the 2x10 (to effetively make a 2x14").

Next, I drilled holes (about 3/16th) every 14" along the board (widest handlebars were 28" Raceface bars). Then, we simply used bicycle hanging hooks and screwed them into the holes.

Once that was done, we used a second 2x10 and ran it across the bottom of the wall, where the rear tires would be. (there is about 8-10 inches between the bottom wheel and the ground)

Also, a few of the hooks were placed a bit lower so they would be easier for my wife to use. The bikes are hung alternatingly, so the handlebars don't interfere.

2)
    If your bikes are actually inside your condo living space, then the best thing is either to hand them (like in the garage) form the ceiling, or use one of those storage "poles". In our older apartment (which was quite tiny), we had a rack that you basically lengthened between the ceiling and the floor. The pole could hold two bikes on either side. Between the four bikes hanging from it, we were able to support about 140 pounds of bikes off of it.

They are about $150 USD to buy, but you could make your own pretty easily.

it looked something like this:

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...2091745&catId=

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

9 Lives Baby!

The Pole Looks Good

Noel:

That pole looks like it might be the thing to use. I have a one bedroom and I need to save space. I don't think I could hang them anywhere.
    Thanks for your help and the site.

Kat

Frequent Crasher
    In college my friends had the pole. It worked really well. The only problem is some frames don't always fit the holders.
    SB

9 Lives Baby!

Yep...

That's what I just signed back on to ask.....The M1 and Enduro have some funky frames. Any other ideas?

Frequent Crasher
    There are a few ways to hang bikes. I have to use a wide MTB hook to hold my front tire on my enduro. Bell makes them I bought a few @ sports authority. The problem is that the normal bike hooks won't let go of a fat knobby tire. I mount them on a wall perpendicular to the ceiling up high and the bike stands on the wall. This way the Master cylinders stay high instead of hangng upside down. I also use "ladder hooks" and put those in the garage ceiling, and then I hang the bike by hooking the nose of the seat over the wide flat part of the hook.
    Bobby

VIA
    banned

mtbr member

usually with the odd shaped bikes...

...where you have monocoque frames and such, I end up hanging the bike from below the "downtube" and by using one of the rear suspension linkages.

My wife has a Kona Stinky, but it's a tiny 15" frame. There was no way that the hooks on the "pole" would fit between her top tube and down tube, so we just hung the bike from under the down tube and by the rear rocker link. It worked fine.

It worked well for us in a very small apartment that we had (600 Sq Ft, two people and 4-5 bikes). Now we have a garage and life it great!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

9 Lives Baby!

Thanks

Thank you very much for that site. I went with that black pole lookin' thang (the Off The Wall II Storage Rack) that holds two, then I can get extra brackets for the third one.
    You guys are the best!
    CHEERS!
    Kat