Important information for Progressive owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Important information for Progressive owners

Hey everyone, I have found the truth about Progressive Suspension. They will not be making any new shocks for the upcoming year. Woohoo. I also have a question for you guys. I just recieved a new coil shock (progressive) in exchange for my default air one. I got that deal through Specialized where you get a brand new coil for free if you have a faulty air shock that was on my 2005 Specialized Enduro Expert. It came with a 225 pound spring, and no bottom bushing (located by the rebound dial) and no mounting bracket for the can. I weigh 160 pounds with gear and do pretty hard riding. Shouldn't they have sent me a stronger spring? Like a 450 pound spring. What do you guys think? Thanks, Isaac

Whoaohohohoh
    Yea they should have sent you a heavier weight spring but you probably got that one because thats all they had and they are trying to get rid of there stock since they are no longer going to be building shocks anymore. As for the bushing I dont know why you wouldn't get one for the rear. You could call progressive and see if they have a heavier weight spring but I would say your best bet is to go buy one as I doubt anyone will trade for that weight of a spring.

Bike Hustler
    I dont know man... yeah that does sound pretty heavy but it really all depends on much more than just your weight for what lb spring you want. Factors like what bike it's going on, what linkage is being used and dhow it will stress the shock at different points in the stroke, what travel mode and stroke length of the shock, etc all factor in on what spring you might want to run.

but yeah... what exactly does it mean that progressive is not producing a new shock this year? Is that to insinuate that they suck at building shocks and they are just going to give up? I could see that yes parts might be more scarce but will service really suffer that much too?

special olympics medalist

meh...

Just make sure you're asking yourself how hard you're riding...I'm over 200 by a bit and i ride a 450 on my v10...but I guess it's better a little but more firm than bottoming...
    A guy walks into a bar....OUCH!...A second guy walks into a bar...you think he would have seen the first guy!...except he's blind...deaf...and crippled....so I guess he didn't see it...

Rolling through ghetto Pittsburgh, Cali, one day, a random snatch of a cell phone conversation from a heavyset cow of a woman drifted through my window...I'll never forget it...it went like this...
    "Ah HEEELLLLLLLLLLL NO!...HEELLLLLL NO!...Y'ALL DON'T KNOW ME!...Y'ALL DON'T KNOW ME!!!!

Cynical Bystander
    Please post the sources you have for the information regarding their discontinuation of shock production.

And you ought to be fine with anywhere from a 250-350# coil I'd imagine. I'm not familiar with the leverage ratios or anything on the bike you're putting it on, but when I had my V10 a while ago I was riding a 400# Ti and at the time I was about 215#. But I suppose it depends on the type of riding you're looking to do as well, I had mine for racing so I wanted a nice and soft shock that was easy to setup, but I didn't go off doing many large drops so I rarely had to worry about bottoming it out much.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilldominator
    Hey everyone, I have found the truth about Progressive Suspension. They will not be making any new shocks for the upcoming year. Woohoo. I also have a question for you guys. I just recieved a new coil shock (progressive) in exchange for my default air one. I got that deal through Specialized where you get a brand new coil for free if you have a faulty air shock that was on my 2005 Specialized Enduro Expert. It came with a 225 pound spring, and no bottom bushing (located by the rebound dial) and no mounting bracket for the can. I weigh 160 pounds with gear and do pretty hard riding. Shouldn't they have sent me a stronger spring? Like a 450 pound spring. What do you guys think? Thanks, Isaac
    I think its interesting and I think that 225 is too light for you. I weigh about 160-165 with no gear and run a 350. With the right setup, it feels perfect. If you want, I have a 300# 7.875 e-t-e, 2" stroke spring you can have cheap. Id say 300-350 is where you need to be. At your weight, 450 would be like riding a hardtail.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Members who have read this thread: 0