Im a newb... I need some help building my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Im a newb... I need some help building my bike

Okay so in the past year i have purchased two GT bikes the first being a avalance and the next being a Marathon. Well, the GT's dont cut it for down hill and it seems like something breaks everytime the bike takes a small spill.
    I live in tucson and i ride a few local trails these do have some inclines but mostly downhill.
    Im just purchased a Iron Horse 7 point frame and i need help deciding on components.
    Please help me build my first bike the GT is not cutting it.
    Picture of the frame i bought

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Ok, in order to get good advice on any build there are several things you need to include:

-Height
    -Riding style (big hits, jump lines, urban assault, casual DH, DH racing, etc)
    -Budget (Be realistic. Saying you don't want to spend over $1500 on the whole build is impractical)
    -If you have a couple photos of you riding the things you want to ride, that helps as well. It makes people interested and gives them an idea of your "ball factor" for lack of a better term.

You included a couple of these things (kinda) already, but make sure to put in as much info as possible. That being said, here's where I would start:

-Azonic Outlaw wheelset (not the 2011s): They're cheap (under $250) and come in many colors. You will find it rather difficult to break them.

-Rockshox Totem Coil: You may be able to pick one up lightly used for around $450 or so. It's a beast, highly tunable, and super plush. Or you can go for a 2007 Marzhocchi 66. Any older and they're rally old. Any newer and there are huge quality control issues. Stay away from the Manitou forks. Fox is good, if you can afford them.

-Azonic 420 flat pedals are awesome. Lightweight, strong, around $80. Many colors available.

-Personally, I like the Kenda Nevegals. They run in the bigger side and grip pretty well in my experience. Schwalbe has some sweet tires as well. I would stay away from Maxxis; my 2.35 Nevegals are bigger and lighter than my 2.5 Highroller and Minion.

-SRAM drivetrain without a doubt. Doesn't gum up as much when it gets muddy as the Shimano parts of similar value. X-7 and X-9 are both pretty good, just depends on your budget. The common mistake is to get a sweet rear derailleur and a cheap shifter. NONO. Make sure you have a good shifter, as that's what actually makes the cable move.

-I love my WTB saddles and Bontrager seatposts. Pure-V saddle is $36

-For brakes, if you're on a tight budget, then I would go with BB-7s with 8" rotors front and rear. I have them on my big bike and so far no problems. They're highly adjustable and you can get totally set up for under $140.

Note that I stayed away from bars, since you (the rider) are the only person who knows what style of bars of comfortable to you. Cheers!
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    PM'd ya

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Im 28 and about 5'9 and 190# i live in tucson and ride in the mountians alot of our trails here have alot of big boulders and i really like DH and want to get into it alot more but my GT is almost done after like 10 Trips it is getting bashed up good

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    also i have no real budget as i have the other bike , I just want to build a good one and i can take my time if need be

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks for all the help i got most everything on its way, my LBS is installing my forks tonight. Here is the list of what i have ordered and what i still need any advice on the few items i still need to get?
    Got

Forks rock shox totem
    Funn 1.5 45mm stem
    Handle bars
    Race Face Evolve DH Crankset 175mm 83mm 24/36/Bash
    azonic Wheelset "red" 150 rear
    ProblemSolvers 12 x 150 Saint axle
    Sram X5 shifters
    Sram x7 Mid rear deraileur
    Cane Creek Headset
    #79 Hanger
    ODI Rogue Lock On Grip w/Clamps
    Azonic Fusion Magnesium Pedals
    Shimano Saint M817 83mm BB Dual Pull Multi-Clamp Front deraileur
    Easton Havoc seatpost 30.00 mm
    Seatpost clamp
    Avid Juicy 3 brakes 203 front 185 rear rotors
    Cog SRAM 9 Speed PG-990 Cassette 11-34 POWERGLIDE II 2010
    Sram x7 Mid rear deraileur

Need To get

chain
    Blackspire 2 ring chain guide
    Tires
    Tubes

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    not necessarily black spire chain ring guide please recommend what you think

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikehotchicks
    not necessarily black spire chain ring guide please recommend what you think
    I have both a Blackspire and Gamut. Both are nice but I like the Gamut better..
    I like the stepped, flanged roller on the Gamut better than the ramped roller on the Blackspire..
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    cool man what size should i get im running a 150 rear and 83mm 24/36/Bash Crank,
    Any links on where to purchase? also what tires?
    Here are some pics of the parts that have arrived so far

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    front wheel is not pictured

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    More parts showed up today, Brakes, Grips, Seat

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    lookin good!!
    you should of listen to sambs827, buying x5 shifterys was probobly a bad idea cause they arent fr/dh shifters, closer to all mountain.
    btw just buy any dh/fr tubes you can find (they will all get punctures some time), personally i would buy maxxis highrollers or schwalbe muddy marrys

mtbr member
    looks like the build is coming along nicely, but did you already buy the avid juicy 3's?

if not, id really suggest finding a better brake for DH. i ride juicy 5s (model above the 3s) for all mountain/light FR use, and theyre not that great when it gets steep

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blades-noob
    you should of listen to sambs827, buying x5 shifterys was probobly a bad idea cause they arent fr/dh shifters, closer to all mountain.
    Yeah I took a little spill and snapped the an x5 shifter off at the clamp. The plastic body doesn't hold up well to repeated abuse.

As for tires. Get some DHF Minions. They do run small so take that into consideration when ordering. Maybe a 2.7 front and a 2.5 rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah i already got the juicy 3s i understand they arnt too good but here in tucson we have no "real" downhill trails, the trail i ride most i used to be able to ride with my gt marathon. I figure the Juicys will work fine for that trail and may upgrade later. the x.5 shifters i may be worried about though cause i have taken some spills on that trail and broken brake levers etc. What shifters would you guys recommend when and if these break?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    also the juicys came with a 203mm front and 185mm rear so that will help a lil in the stopping department.

mtbr member
    also the juicys came with a 203mm front and 185mm rear so that will help a lil in the stopping department.
    yeah, im sure they'll be fine. my 5s are fine 95% of the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    everything has been ordered and will be here monday, only thing left is cable housing, will my LBS have that when i have them install the crank and derailleurs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What shifters would you guys recommend when and if these break?
    Thanks
    The x.9s are good. They have a more solid construction and clamp set up then the 5s or 7s. Little pricy but definitely more reasonable then the x.0s

mtbr member
    Okay so in the past year i have purchased two GT bikes the first being a avalance and the next being a Marathon. Well, the GT's dont cut it for down hill and it seems like something breaks everytime the bike takes a small spill.
    I live in tucson and i ride a few local trails these do have some inclines but mostly downhill.
    Im just purchased a Iron Horse 7 point frame and i need help deciding on components.
    Please help me build my first bike the GT is not cutting it.
    Picture of the frame i bought
    You should throw a Risse Big Foot fork on that. It is the best 300mm travel fork on the market

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    The x.9s are good. They have a more solid construction and clamp set up then the 5s or 7s. Little pricy but definitely more reasonable then the x.0s
    Awesome thanks for the recommendation, as far as the 300mm fork that would be awesome if i lived in a place like CO.. one of these day ill move there but until then Tucson Az has very little downhill

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome thanks for the recommendation, as far as the 300mm fork that would be awesome if i lived in a place like CO.. one of these day ill move there but until then Tucson Az has very little downhill
    A 300mil fork is never a good idea. Unless your hucking off the Sears Tower to flat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Just need to get my LBS to install the crank and connect the shifters to the derailleurs

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ugh... You bought Nevagals.

mtbr member
    A 300mil fork is never a good idea. Unless your hucking off the Sears Tower to flat.
    Yeah, that was definitly a joke. I hope no one seriously thought I would recommend putting a 12in fork on a 7in bike. The bike looks good though.

mtbr member
    Ugh... You bought Nevagals.
    Yeah why did you buy the best tire ever?

mtbr member
    Man, that's pretty, hope it rides as good as it looks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah i know, I have read some good things about the Iron horse 7 points and i got a great deal on the frame.
    Brand new from randal scott i got the frame for 599.99 it was on clearance i understand that there is no warranty but we dont have too many DH trails here in Tucson. Im excited to ride it for the first time, its at my LBS today for crank install.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwshadow
    best tire ever
    In your opinion.
    In mine, they suck

Bike looks good though
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    For an entry level tire the Nevegal is pretty good. But the more you ride and the harder you push things you may want to find a tire that works a little better for the specific conditions you ride in. Good looking build man. Time to get it dirty. And definitely time to start learning how to do your own bike maintenence, shops charge a lot of money for things that are really easy to do for free.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwshadow
    Yeah why did you buy the best tire ever?
    I guess it really depends on your riding conditions. But if Tucson is anything like the central coast, which from what I've heard about AZ it is, Nevagals just don't really cut it. Every friend I've know thats ridden them has been really disappointed in their performance on everything but smooth hard pack.

Other then that sick build. I'm sure you'll be really happy with it. I'm love my DW Ironhorse.

Members who have read this thread: 0