• 03-02-2004
    trek fuel80
    Im 18, w/ a trek fuel 80, can i do downhill?
    I got a stock 2003 trek fuel 80, and im looking to do some races. im 17, do you think i could do a downhill competition?
  • 03-02-2004
    COmtbiker12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trek fuel80
    I got a stock 2003 trek fuel 80, and im looking to do some races. im 17, do you think i could do a downhill competition?

I'd get something a bit burlier if you have the money, otherwise it'll probably be okay as long as you don't thrash it too much.
  • 03-02-2004
    damion
    For a start, it will be ok.
    as long as there is a beginners course. As you get more into it, get something else. The Fuel is a xc race platform frame.
  • 03-02-2004
    zedro
    ya you'll eventually just destroy it.
  • 03-02-2004
    FuelFan90
    i doubt it would hold up for very long in a real downhill course. i've ridden mine down pisgah, dupont, and some other trails and done some ok high drops (5 ft). nothing has broken yet, i haven't even flat spotted the stock rims. my friend has done some even higher drops (6.5 ft) and really beats up on the bike and hasn't broken anything. he even accidentally drove it into a clearence sign at a local fast food place without killing anything. your weight also plays a major role in how much abuse you dish out on your bike. so if you aren't a really big 17 year old and you're pretty smooth rider you should be ok until you can upgrade to something heavier duty.
  • 03-03-2004
    Nate N
    You can ride it down a hill, however I would suggest said hill be nothing more than the street leading down to the neighborhood tittie bar
  • 03-03-2004
    WarrGuru
    How much do you weigh?
    Quote:

17 years old? You should be ok....That bike can be used on downhills until the rider is 22. j/k

Seriously....Success depends on your weight and how smooth you ride. The Fuel should not be jumped or used for downhill, generally speaking.
  • 03-03-2004
    trek fuel80
    well...i gotta say im a pretty big 17 year old, 6' 4'' and 185 lbs. with that size i dought i could...but what if i bought a new front fork? think i could get away with it?
  • 03-03-2004
    Fuelish
    So which is it, 18 , or 17 ???? Not that it matters (just had to raise the point...) ...can you DH a Fuel ???...sure...people used to race DH on full rigid rides, once upon a time... Likely, though, your frame will fail prematurely, beings that it's a XC race frame...pretty easy concept to grasp...what were/are you thinking ?? I mean, sure, you could run Huffy DH...if you dare...heh....ya gots to pay to play.....and that means paying big to ride big....'nough said.
    Quote:

well...i gotta say im a pretty big 17 year old, 6' 4'' and 185 lbs. with that size i dought i could...but what if i bought a new front fork? think i could get away with it?

• 03-03-2004
    finchy
    the ehad angle will affect it...
    since its a cross country bike, it doesnt have a slack enough head angle, the same happened to me, ur gunna need to slacken that a lot!!
  • 03-03-2004
    sirbikealot
    yes, but only once....haha
    just take it easy
  • 03-03-2004
    bike26
    doesnt the fuel 80 made of carbon and it has like a air shock and no disc brake mounts
  • 03-03-2004
    Dufault
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bike26
    doesnt the fuel 80 made of carbon and it has like a air shock and no disc brake mounts

No, the fuel 80 is made out of aluminum and Im pretty sure it has disc mounts. Then again, what $2,000 bike doesnt these days :rolleyes:
  • 03-04-2004
    bike26
    ok i think i made a mistake , i was thinking of the trek fuel 90 sorry and thanks chris for embrassing me
  • 05-08-2011
    Suicideking
    I have an 06 ex7 and i have marz 55 rs 160mm forks. 2.7 dh highrollers dh stem and bars. And s type dh rims. I made a dh fuel abd it works great. Only problem is its very tall with the large frame.
  • 05-08-2011
    jawdrop on hardtail
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicideking
    I have an 06 ex7 and i have marz 55 rs 160mm forks. 2.7 dh highrollers dh stem and bars. And s type dh rims. I made a dh fuel abd it works great. Only problem is its very tall with the large frame.

bet it performs just as good as this

• 05-08-2011
    Suicideking
    Lmfao,......i hope u didnt build that just for me
  • 05-08-2011
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    5 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate N
    You can ride it down a hill, however I would suggest said hill be nothing more than the street leading down to the neighborhood tittie bar

hell yeah
  • 05-08-2011
    Gilly32
    as long as you have decent forks you can pull it off for a while.

the thing is you'll either hate DH or love it and if you love it your going to buy a DH bike anyhow so just try it out on what you have for a while and see what ya think.
  • 05-08-2011
    jcook1989
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilly32
    as long as you have decent forks you can pull it off for a while.

Your bike has multiple forks?
  • 05-08-2011
    Gilly32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcook1989
    Your bike has multiple forks?

haha shut up
  • 05-09-2011
    Suicideking
  • 05-09-2011
    onedude36
    ^^ Need more bottle cages
  • 05-09-2011
    "FFT"
    1 Attachment(s)
    I started riding DH in the 90's on a Trek Y11 carbon, with a pos rock shox fork, so yes that Fuel can be riden. Once I got outta school and made some $$ and I got a SC Bullit and rode that DH. Now I have progressed into an old man on Session 8. My point is that just because you take a Fuel up and give it a go, it dont mean your gonna be on it forever.

And yes, It was scary as fvcking hell bombing east coast rock gardens on this thing.