If you like what you see then take a picture, guy...- Mtbr.com
    Happy shredding :)
    Aug 2011

If you like what you see then take a picture, guy...

Been starting to notice more people giving me a "wtf?" look when I'm tinkering with my bike on a trail/home, etc. I'll be riding on a trail or just around, get the usual waves and smiles. But whenever I turn my bike upside down to work on it or adjust something passer by's just give me this look like I ran over their puppy or had their daughter sleep over the previous night.

This is mostly around OB and Balboa park, so maybe me working on my bike upset some hippies, idk. Just if I'm riding it all is right with the world, but if i'm just sitting on it or working on it I have sets of po'ed/confused eyes glued on me

Just thought I'd share a weird observation in my daily grind of downhill
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    take the J out of 'job' and you got OB. no one there is used to seeing anyone do actual work.

mtbr member
    haha I guess they can't understand why you might be working on your bike, the average person can't fathom doing something so complex (because they are retarded)

I occasionally get similar looks on the off chance someone who clearly doesnt bike, looks at my totem or RC4 ( I think thats what they are looking at ). In their eyes, I can see confusion and wheels turning as they stare haha
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    I get that look just for being out on my DH bike... F**kum if they don't understand.

Come at me bro.
    OB...ocean beach? balboa park...you in sf?

Moose Member
    There's a group of bmxers in my town, sometimes I ride past them when I'm cruisin town, somtimes, if I'm bored enough to go to the skatepark, they could be there. The look at me like I'm riding a tractor at the skatepark. One kid asked me what cool tricks I could do out of the bowl. I said "none, but toss me on some steep rocky gnar or some big DH jumps and I'll be fine."
    he then looked at me like 0_o
    kinda like I was riding bikes wrong... Bmx bikes don't go down rocks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Bmx bikes don't go down rocks...
    I thought the same thing until about 30 minutes ago. Check out the first rider: Downhill Racing - The Motion Circle Video - Pinkbike.com
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by drastic. View Post
    OB...ocean beach? balboa park...you in sf?
    I'm guessing San Diego. OB (where I live) and Balboa aren't really the best DH spots in the world though... maybe that's why you're getting glares... no one around here's used to seeing a DH bike, especially an upside down one.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Glad to Be Alive
    usually when I am running around streaking...I get a lot of stares from the lady's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Maybe they are wondering if you need help...
    Whats this line for?

Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronabrandt View Post
    Maybe they are wondering if you need help...
    I thought that too but this nice couple just shook their head at me when i waved at them when adjusting my levers one day, so again idk, when i'm riding the damn thing it's all good.

Yeah, San Diego btw. I know it's not known for "downhill" but Garbage in OB has some very nice rhythm sections on the east side and Balboa has a few scattered about, all while on a nice cruising trail. Just making do with what I got locally to ride on

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SacredYeti View Post
    I thought that too but this nice couple just shook their head at me when i waved at them when adjusting my levers one day, so again idk, when i'm riding the damn thing it's all good.

Maybe I was referring to the naked pirate;
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    usually when I am running around streaking...I get a lot of stares from the lady's
    Not me, they just point and laugh
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    I remember going to a small cycle shop and seeing an expensive FS bike and a reasonable HT that were on the shop floor waiting to be fixed. I asked the mechanic what they were in for, he said 'new tubes'. I said haha, what really? No really, new inner-tubes! You're joking? Yes some people really are that dumb and hopeless they buy a $5000 dollar bike but pay someone to fix a flat. Seeing someone realigning their brakes or adjusting their rear derailleur must be like seeing a surgeon doing brain surgery on the trail to those guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    I remember going to a small cycle shop and seeing an expensive FS bike and a reasonable HT that were on the shop floor waiting to be fixed. I asked the mechanic what they were in for, he said 'new tubes'. I said haha, what really? No really, new inner-tubes! You're joking? Yes some people really are that dumb and hopeless they buy a $5000 dollar bike but pay someone to fix a flat. Seeing someone realigning their brakes or adjusting their rear derailleur must be like seeing a surgeon doing brain surgery on the trail to those guys.
    I was buying new grips the other day and I saw this 2-3 people come in asking to get their tubes replaced. One guy thought he needed a new tire cause it was flat. The cashier had to explain that no, he just needed a new tube.

The mechanic offered to show another guy how to change it. The guy was not interested cause "I don't want to do it wrong" WTF?

Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I was buying new grips the other day and I saw this 2-3 people come in asking to get their tubes replaced. One guy thought he needed a new tire cause it was flat. The cashier had to explain that no, he just needed a new tube.

The mechanic offered to show another guy how to change it. The guy was not interested cause "I don't want to do it wrong" WTF?

Come to think of it, that's a good reason to suspect why I got strange looks. All these spoiled people looking at me pull a tube out of the tire probably thinking, "Omg, wtf is that sarah? Seriously, he's probably smuggling something, stupid drug addicts..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SacredYeti View Post

Come to think of it, that's a good reason to suspect why I got strange looks. All these spoiled people looking at me pull a tube out of the tire probably thinking, "Omg, wtf is that sarah? Seriously, he's probably smuggling something, stupid drug addicts..."
    hahahah

BTW... i also thought you were from the SFV... was trying to figure out what the heck was OB...

mtbr member
    I lived on the sub base right across the hill from OB for 5 years. Surfed OB & sunset cliffs a bunch while I lived there.

The hippies there ARE pretty strange.

Ho-Dad's burgers from OB were the best. Hope they're still open.