Ideas on custom wheelset...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ideas on custom wheelset...

Looking for some ideas on a custom wheelset... So far, I am thinking black rims, red hubs, black spokes and red nipples. I am really up in the air on the hubs, not sure what brand to go with. DT swiss spokes and nipples for sure!

Rim:

Mavic Rims

EX 729 - 675 grams

EX 325 - 715 grams

or

DT Swiss Rim

FR 600 - 600 grams

Hubs

Chris King

Hadley

Hope Pro II

I am open to all ideas and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You should tell us more about your goals? Weight,width,tubeless,how much you weigh,how hard are you on gear and etc. But you can never go wrong with Hadley and Mavic, but there are lighter options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Get some Dt Swiss 240 hubs they are awsome for DH and light, mix that with a DT 600 rim and some nice spokes and you would have a light wheel set 2000 grm range that are tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    You should tell us more about your goals? Weight,width,tubeless,how much you weigh,how hard are you on gear and etc. But you can never go wrong with Hadley and Mavic, but there are lighter options.

I don't race, so a light weight wheelset is not my #1 goal. I am about 230lb with gear and I am not the smoothest rider... I am not planning on going tubeless.

Although, I am happy with my current XC wheelset, I like to try different stuff. That's why I was thinking Hadley and Mavic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like sticking with things that are well proven Hadley/729 with a tube in the 200gram range. Build, ride and have no worries.

mtbr member
    Compared to Chris King, how loud would you estimate the Hadleys are?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would say Hadleys are quieter than Kings as they should be. Hadleys pauls will make noise when they get dry but properly lubed they are actually quite. Hadleys customer service is second to none. I actually still have a set from 2001 with there third build and going stong, first two builds were Sun rims now are Mavic's.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo.
    Compared to Chris King, how loud would you estimate the Hadleys are?
    loud...who the fvck cares??? chris queens are nice...but cost a lot.....get the Hadleys...been riding the same hubs for 7 years and NO PROBLEMS

Hadleys and I am running Mavic 823's...they rock
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    loud...who the fvck cares??? chris queens are nice...but cost a lot.....get the Hadleys...been riding the same hubs for 7 years and NO PROBLEMS

Hadleys and I am running Mavic 823's...they rock
    Hadley's aren't cheap either...
    I too prefer Hadley's though, if not because they're bomb proof and I've had zero issues in the past 4 years, it's because they're a small operation with top notch support.
    I'm also a Mavic kool-ade drinker, for no other reason than I've had good results with them so I've never bothered to try another brand.
    Between your two choices from Mavic I'd go 729, burley, stiff, and lighter than the other option. Maybe while you're trying different stuff go for the ex823. Tubeless, you DON'T need a UST tire, just a standard tire will do with some Stan's. And if you don't like the tubeless you can either chuck em and go 729 or just run tubes in the ex823's.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm getting atomlab GI dirt rims laced onto Hadleys. Should be good got the rims dirt cheap.

GAME ON!
    i've had like 6 sets of kings and i've never really felt a need to change. if it works, why switch? since you already have a set, you can justify buying the tool as well.

mtbr member
    Sold of my i9s (had 4 sets) , had kings as well. Right now i dropped of another set of hadley hubs (blue with ceramic bearings) with white spokes and powdercoated white hoops to be built as my freeride set up. Its my second set both identical one on 721s (raceset) and this one on dt fr600s (am/fr).

Smt and a few others were the reason i tried hadley and glad i did.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Sold of my i9s (had 4 sets) , had kings as well. Right now i dropped of another set of hadley hubs (blue with ceramic bearings) with white spokes and powdercoated white hoops to be built as my freeride set up. Its my second set both identical one on 721s (raceset) and this one on dt fr600s (am/fr).

Smt and a few others were the reason i tried hadley and glad i did.

any experience with those FR600s?

my LBS can get me rims from the BTI catalog, but no access to Mavic (yet.) Are the FR600s comparable to the 823s? I have a set of Hope/ 823 that I love, but I need another wheelset (with 150mm rear) would Hadley/ FR600 be a good choice?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    any experience with those FR600s?

my LBS can get me rims from the BTI catalog, but no access to Mavic (yet.) Are the FR600s comparable to the 823s? I have a set of Hope/ 823 that I love, but I need another wheelset (with 150mm rear) would Hadley/ FR600 be a good choice?
    Fr600 and 823s arent in the same category, 823s are monster solid where 600s are lighter and dent vs crack. The dt wont take as nasty a beating but the bend back with a pair pf pliers whereas the mavics dont. Ive cracked 729, 721, syncros ds32, but only dented my dt wheels. The newer hoops are better than the past plus double eyeletted.

So not as stout as a 823 but a damn solid rim i had 4 powdercoated white the otherday and have no issues with them. Id rather dent then crack, i like mavic and still running a cracked rear 721 and will replace it with another 721 but yeah i like dt swiss for weight to profile.

Yes hadley/fr600 would be a good set as would hadley/729
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

enjoys skidding
    I got a King 150 rear for a ridiculous price so I'm giving it a shot this year, Hope Pro 2 20mm front with Spank Subrosa 30's.. Looking forward to having them finished I have to say..

Members who have read this thread: 0