Ideal Suspesion set up for DH?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2006

Ideal Suspesion set up for DH?

Ideal Suspension set up for DH? I dont know how else to word this question so help me out here....What effects cornering the most when tuning a fork and rear shock?

Premium Member
    That's a tough one to answer because there are so many different variables.

Basically, first you're gonna want to get your sag set on the fork and shock. Check manufacturers' recommendations and they'll give you guidelines. Adjust preload for conditions. Firmer for hardpack, softer for loose terrain for a bit more grip.

Then comes the damping adjustments. Rebound and compression should be balanced at a controlled speed, faster=livelier but blows through travel/bucks, slower=stable but gets bogged down/transmits too much feedback. I like a slow-medium speed for compression and rebound. It keeps the bike tracking, but won't feel as good in a parking lot as something with really fast settings.

Next is the stable platform. It's a balance between staying high in the travel, pedalling, and lack of small bump. For DH and better cornering go with the minimum or close to the minimum of stable platform/propedal because you'll have a bit more grip.

Now comes bottom out. Once your sag is properly set, ride the thing and see if you're repeatedly bottoming. If so, increase bottom out resistance. If not, and you feel like your shock is ramping up too much mid-hit or corner, decrease bottom out so your bike will ride a bit lower and use the travel.

Glad to Be Alive
    speed up the rebound for smaller bumps at speed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    i've got a Swinger 6 way... is the bottom out resistance the Hi Speed compression knob? or is it the Hex Red knob where the Schrader valve is at??? Doesnt make sense for that to be it though... Also, if i run that one all the way open, will it give me a plusher feel at the same amount of pressure?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    speed up the rebound for smaller bumps at speed
    He asked about cornering, not small bumps.

"....What effects cornering the most when tuning a fork and rear shock?"

I would say add slow speed compression so you can pedal like mad out of the corners.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i've got a Swinger 6 way... is the bottom out resistance the Hi Speed compression knob? or is it the Hex Red knob where the Schrader valve is at??? Doesnt make sense for that to be it though... Also, if i run that one all the way open, will it give me a plusher feel at the same amount of pressure?
    Don't thread-jack...ask your questions in your own thread.

Premium Member
    No, the bottom out is the red hex. All the way open will let your shock ride a bit more into the travel on hard hits, but you may risk bottoming if you're running a plush spring. For a "plusher" feel, run a light spring w/ a lot of bottom out so you can get away with a the softest spring possible.

For cornering, you want the minimum LSC possible for the max. grip. This is what makes the Sunday a great cornering bike (well, besides the low BB); it runs 1/3 the normal LSC so it's really supple and provides a lot of traction. You can mimic that by running LSC all the way open. Yes, your pedalling will get worse, but for strictly cornering run open LSC.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    sorry khemical, didnt mean to hijack... i thought it would be related to the topic...

thanx ojai...

as for cornering in rough areas, wouldnt less slowspeed compression be better??? In the places you need to pedal out off couldnt you just preload the suspension into the corners??? But not too sure with the pedaling out though... seems a bit like a trade off...

Premium Member

as for cornering in rough areas, wouldnt less slowspeed compression be better??? In the places you need to pedal out off couldnt you just preload the suspension into the corners??? But not too sure with the pedaling out though... seems a bit like a trade off...
    You pretty much nailed it, like I said above in rough areas ride low LSC, when it's smooth you can crank it up a bit for better pedalling. Everything's always a trade off, but you can generally match the settings well to a course or trail with a bit of understanding.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Don't thread-jack...ask your questions in your own thread.
    I love how you don't really answer the question, then post this.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    For cornering, you want the minimum LSC possible for the max. grip. This is what makes the Sunday a great cornering bike (well, besides the low BB); it runs 1/3 the normal LSC so it's really supple and provides a lot of traction. You can mimic that by running LSC all the way open. Yes, your pedalling will get worse, but for strictly cornering run open LSC.
    For racing I like to explode out of the corners so I would think the opposite....

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I love how you don't really answer the question, then post this.
    What's this moron? Read the whole thread next time.

He asked about cornering, not small bumps.

"....What effects cornering the most when tuning a fork and rear shock?"

I would say add slow speed compression so you can pedal like mad out of the corners.

Premium Member
    Out of curiousity, where do you race? For "real" DH I think being able to carry speed in the corners is more important. Granted, for smoother, more local-type trails a bit more LSC is good but when it's sketchy, fast, loose, rocky, and gnar I don't want my L S C.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    sorry khemical, didnt mean to hijack...
    No worries mate, just trying to restore some order but as usual, [other posters] this thread has turned into a [email protected] fest.....

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Out of curiousity, where do you race? For "real" DH I think being able to carry speed in the corners is more important. Granted, for smoother, more local-type trails a bit more LSC is good but when it's sketchy, fast, loose, rocky, and gnar I don't want my L S C.
    Northstar (tahoe) where it's rocky, rocky, rocky, float over the rocks, turn, and blast out of the corner. You float over the rocks at high speed (low on the HSC) brake hard before the corner, turn and pedal like mad through the corner (LSC). Really, it depends on the rider's preference, skill, bike setup and the terrain but the OP asked our opinions and that is mine. Yours might be different, no worries. There is no "right" answer just what works for you and for me, this is what works for me.

Equal opportunity meanie
    To the original poster: it depends what kinds of corners and your cornering style. Do you like to "cut" your turns or do you like to apex? Are you looking for your suspension to help you pop out of the turns or be the most stable and predictable? Bermed or flat corners? Long or short corners? What is your weight bias front to rear?

Also what kind of frame, fork and shock are you running?

Old No. 7
    Love the sig.....
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Members who have read this thread: 0