Idaho on the big bikes - LOTS of PICS- Mtbr.com
    Err
    Calm like a bomb

Idaho on the big bikes - LOTS of PICS

So inspired a bit by Shandro and Peaty's section in Roam and a bit by the bug to take a little road trip we headed north to Idaho for the weekend. Our plan was to take the big bikes and find some tasty trails around the Sun Valley area. Despite the lack of real freeride/DH trails we had a couple of awesome rides. Nothing we did even required suspension but with fat tires and long travel we were pinning the DH. The single track was smooth and incredibly fast. Many of the trails in the area allow motos which really helps to push the corners up into nice berms.

DAY1:
    First up was Fisher Creek and while featured in Roam, it looks very different now as it burned shortly after the filming. No matter, the trail is still very much in tact and the wild flowers coming up all over the forest floor were amazing.

M contemplating the climb, a bit over 9 miles of initial climb, 17 miles total on the trail:

Getting into the burned area:

At the top of the big climb it turned rolling for a bit, the lack of leaves made visibility really good, you could ride fast even on a first descent.

Looking back on the single track, near the bottom of the ride. The DH was soo ripping fast that we never bothered to stop to take pics. Tight, smooth single track with berms all the way. Scary fast:

DAY 2:
    Next we hit up Greenhorn Gulch to Imperial Gulch, also reportedly featured in Roam. This climb was not any higher in elevation but a good bit steeper. Without a little ring up front on either rig, there was a bit of pushing.

Right away black sheep were representin':

Breaking out of the forest as we reached the ridge:

M hates mountain biking:

So she dusts me:

We tried to capture the speed a bit, really needed a video cam, maybe even the helmet setup. Coming across the wide open meadows we could see far enough that there was never a danger of tagging a horse or a hiker, speeds were epic.

To top it all off we saw a momma bear and two cubs right as we were leaving the parking lot. Not quick enough on the draw with the cam, but yeah it was as cool as it sounds.

odo
    mtbr member
    Those trails look extremely smooth. It must of been really fun.
    Nitwit, Oddment, Blubber, Tweak

I bicycle better than I walk

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    NICE!! Wish i was out there!

Some Assembly Required
    Sounds like a cool ride/trip. Good pics.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Looks like fun dude, now come down to downieville and northstar nexttt

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    Looks like fun dude, now come down to downieville and northstar nexttt
    Can't wait to hit both of those spots! Wolf and Deer Valley next weekend though, should be good stuff.

Just roll it......
    Err,

I can't believe you climbed those on your Nicolai with only a big ring. Those are hardtail material if I ever saw them. BTW, we did the Crest from Guardsman the other day. I can't believe you rode your big bike up from Mill Creek over to PC. Crazy Mofo. Puke hill nearly crippled me and we barely even climbed.......

See ya tonight.

Cheers,
    EB

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice.......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Err,

I can't believe you climbed those on your Nicolai with only a big ring. Those are hardtail material if I ever saw them. BTW, we did the Crest from Guardsman the other day. I can't believe you rode your big bike up from Mill Creek over to PC. Crazy Mofo. Puke hill nearly crippled me and we barely even climbed.......

See ya tonight.

Cheers,
    EB
    Fisher was no prob on the big bike, a little pushing heading up Greenhorn, a testament to the suspension design I suppose. The sus was nice on the DH though. There was a point, descending Imperial Gulch where we were going so fast it seemed ludicrous. I think we went to Plaid.

I think we'd like to go back when our hardtails are ready and do some big mileage days, a lot of nice trails there.

Hehe, the Crest hurt just a touch on the big bike.

You're going to like tonight's ride.

mtbr member
    Nice pics. I snapped all of 3 pics in about 90 miles of riding (testament to how fun Sun Valley is) so I got a buzz seeing yours. You guys had some big grins rolling back into the greenhorn parking lot yesterday; you should have posted a pic of that, too!

I agree, big bikes definitely not required but they make the trails there feel like train tracks. That was some of the funnest trail riding I've ever done. Now if someone could just lend $5,000,000 I'd go buy myself an acre of land in Ketchum.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    You're going to like tonight's ride.
    man i wish i could come with you guys tonight. i have wanted to do that trail ever since you showed me the first stunt. let me know how it goes.
    we should plan a time to ride it for next week so i can make sure to have that time off.

nice pics, i was going to ask you how it went earlier but this explains it all.

Members who have read this thread: 0