I want to bend my Gustav levers...got any tips?- Mtbr.com
    long standing member

I want to bend my Gustav levers...got any tips?

The levers on my Gustavs don't quite have the range of reach adjustment that I would like for one-finger braking. I've read on here that some guys have bent the levers to the position they want. And that Magura actually recommends this to get the reach desired (not sure if this is actually true). I've got the long reach lever, which I like the length of, just not the distance from the grips.

So does anyone have any tips on how I can go about bending these levers? Can I do it with them still attached to the bike? Or should I pull them off and bend it with pliers? As you can see, I'm a little clueless here. Comments from anyone who has a clue are welcome. TIA.

And no, I don't want to "upgrade" to the shorty levers or Dangerboy levers right now, but thanks for the suggestion.

...for I am a raindog too
    Ghost ride into a tree???

If you can dig up those threads that you read this in, pm those guys who've done it.
    I wouldn't try anything until you hear from those who have done it.

Also, X post to the brake forum...

Alas, worst case scenario-- you'll need to replace the levers and re-bleed the brake, so if you want to try, maybe give er a go. In the grand scheme of things, lever replacement is a fairly inexpensive "mistake".

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i recomend that whichever way you do it to make it accurate

mtbr member
    Take the box end of a wrench and put it around the lever. Then just tork down on it until it bends into the position you want. Now, for all of you who'll inevitably say I am dumb, go F&cK yourself, I have been doing it like this forever. I am just kidding, don't F&cK yourself, it will probably hurt. But seriously, it does work like I said.
    Mike

Meh.
    Bending will stretch and fatigue the aluminum.

I think maybe a little bit of heat would help?

I think two wrenches would be a better idea... one to apply the pressure, the other to hold it. This way you aren't putting pressure on the MC.

mtbr member
    I've bent levers back before by leaving the lever on the bike and having a friend hold the handle bar right around the lever, then putting the lever in the end of a pipe and bent it that way. You can wedge something between your bars and the curve in the lever for leverage too. Just make sure you lever bends before your bars do.

N* Bomber Crew
    If you have access to a vice grip do that. Maybe you could try using a heat gun at high setting (Not a torch or anything though, just a heat gun to soften the metal).

Meh I don't know, usually when I bend levers I don't really mean to do it.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Or you could just buy a set of these...

http://www.ridetsgusa.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=RL
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    The levers on my Gustavs don't quite have the range of reach adjustment that I would like for one-finger braking. I've read on here that some guys have bent the levers to the position they want. And that Magura actually recommends this to get the reach desired (not sure if this is actually true). I've got the long reach lever, which I like the length of, just not the distance from the grips.

So does anyone have any tips on how I can go about bending these levers? Can I do it with them still attached to the bike? Or should I pull them off and bend it with pliers? As you can see, I'm a little clueless here. Comments from anyone who has a clue are welcome. TIA.

And no, I don't want to "upgrade" to the shorty levers or Dangerboy levers right now, but thanks for the suggestion.
    Hey PCinSC:

Do you want to move them closer to the bar or further away from the bar? If you want to move the closer to the bar, the "recommended way" is NOT to bend the lever blade. instead, there is a part that the lever blade actuates that pushes against the master cylinder piston. You can remove this part - it has a head that is kind of rounded. You can file down that head which makes that part shorter which will effectively move the lever blade closer to the bar.

if you want to move them further away, well that trick won't work!

Cheers,

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Do you want to move them closer to the bar or further away from the bar? If you want to move the closer to the bar, the "recommended way" is NOT to bend the lever blade. instead, there is a part that the lever blade actuates that pushes against the master cylinder piston. You can remove this part - it has a head that is kind of rounded. You can file down that head which makes that part shorter which will effectively move the lever blade closer to the bar.
    That's exactly what I want to do, move them closer. Thanks for the tip. Without having yet looked for this "actuater", let me ask this: does the blade have to be pulled off to file it down, or can I do it with the lever still attached? I do have a dremel with associated attachments, if that'll work the best. I'm gonna take a look at them tonight, but I may have my mechanic buddy help me out with this because I'm kind of all thumbs.

I am/was reluctant to bend them (or heat them) worried that it would fatigue the Al. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

And I don't necessarily want to upgrade to Dangerboy levers because:
    • they cost more than a two-day lift ticket at the bike park and I'd rather use that money to ride.
    • I don't know if the Dangerboy levers are actually any closer to the grip than my current ones are. I don't need them shorter, just closer.

Thanks again, guys.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Hey PCinSC:

if you want to move them further away, well that trick won't work!

Cheers,

Noel
    Hola!

Noel is correct. I have the same brakes and I have made that improvement to have the levers more closer to the grips.

Please don't bend the levers cause then they can break when you brake haha

Take out your levers (just the lever) with a 5mm allen key and remove the little piece that makes contact with the master cylinder. I reduced the part that makes contact with the little allen bolt that is used to adjust the position of the lever. Reduce just a little and test. If you need more take again the lever and repeat the procedure.

I think this will help you and you will be much happier with your brakes.

By the way, has anybody tried the AVID Code brakes? they look cool and I want them for my baby (my bike).
    ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

Members who have read this thread: 0