I think I am going to buy this- Mtbr.com
    I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

I think I am going to buy this

Jamis Dakar Bam 2.....NEED GONE ASAP - Pinkbike.com 1500 shipped to my front porch

It looks great I am just worried he said the rear axle probably needs replaced because here is what he said in a message:

"its just those. some of them i took like a few months ago and i havent ridden it for like a year. ill call you tomorrow cause i gotta run it by my dad. and i dont want you to be surprised but i said it in the posting. the rear axle is prolly gotta be replaced. like 25 bux from your local shop. its just been getting loose lately. other then that the bike is flawless. runs well and rides great"

is that how much it will cost and would it be something i could do or should I have a bike shop do it for me?

mtbr member
    probably the maxle or the drop out. If it's the drop out having some loose threads, you can probably just order the drop out. If it's the maxle, you will probably need to replace that too. I got mine for $90 for my Marin Quake, but that includes the drop outs and the maxle. For that price I think it's a good deal considering it comes with a 40, dhx, etc...
    Folangag

Spear & Magic Helmet
    So....is this the bike you want? Seems you've had your eye on a number of bikes. Let me pose this question: if you could choose any bike under $3000 what would you get? The answer to that question is the answer to your needs. If you are buying this just for a single season then maybe it isn't such a bad deal, but if you're planning to keep it for the long haul then be patient, scrape together a bit more $ and buy what you like. There are a number of really good bikes in your price range that show up daily. (There's an older but clean DHR that was posted yesterday.) Human nature being what it is, if you buy something other than what you really what you'll be back in the market in less than a year, or will be disappointed and enjoy it less.

Nov 2008
    Yeah, this is the bike I would pick under my budget. I probably won't have it for a really long time maybe a season or two. I payed him and he said he is going to ship it out today.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Congratulations. I bet you'll have a blast.

Nov 2008
    Why thank you,

I am just hoping it gets here Thrusday because we are leaving to go up to our cabin place, we are leaving in the afternoon and we might just take the box with the bike up with us and i can try to put it together up there I am just worried that we don't have all the tools neccassary to throw it together at our cabin. He said when he boxed it up he took off the handle bar, pedals, fork and front wheel. Is it easy to put on the pedals, fork and handle bar (not so much front wheel) with basic tools like allen wrenches hex wrenches or do I need like torque wrench etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Basic tools should be fine. I've been building up bikes for the past 3 years without a torque wrench and everyone one of my builds have been completely fine. Just sput some grease or locktite on the threads and torque them until they are "snug".

mtbr member
    Congrats. Nice ride. All you need is basic tools. Allen wrenches, and if I remember correctly, a 5/8 wrench for the pedals. An adjustable wrench won't work. It's too thick to fit between the pedal and the crank arm. When installing the pedals, the drivetrain side tightens the traditional way (clockwise). The non-drivetrain side tightens in reverse.
    You can't polish a terd.

Members who have read this thread: 0