I need a solid DH rig- Mtbr.com
    Don't skid

I need a solid DH rig

Ok this question has probably been asked before but I'll ask again (its always a good discusion). I want to get a DH only bike, what bike/frame to get? Now here's some ancillary info. I already have a Coiler for a trail/FR bike and I have a P2 for DJing so this bike will be strictly for DHing. I wieght 260 so I can be pretty hard on parts so strength and frame warrenty matter. Although I have never raced DH I would like to start next season at Big Bear Am Cup so I the bike needs to be of that caliber. I have never ridden a DH only bike (my Coiler is my first FS) so what should I consider? and how much to spend? I figure in the $3000 range, but would be willing to go higher. One bike i have been considering is the Stab Primo b/c there is a good deal at the lbs on it.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Ok this question has probably been asked before but I'll ask again (its always a good discusion). I want to get a DH only bike, what bike/frame to get? Now here's some ancillary info. I already have a Coiler for a trail/FR bike and I have a P2 for DJing so this bike will be strictly for DHing. I wieght 260 so I can be pretty hard on parts so strength and frame warrenty matter. Although I have never raced DH I would like to start next season at Big Bear Am Cup so I the bike needs to be of that caliber. I have never ridden a DH only bike (my Coiler is my first FS) so what should I consider? and how much to spend? I figure in the $3000 range, but would be willing to go higher. One bike i have been considering is the Stab Primo b/c there is a good deal at the lbs on it.
    i would maybe look into a v10 or demo 9. you can find some sweet deals used.

and oh yeah, in my opinion i would stay away from that stab, its an 02, and its way over priced.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Don't skid
    Ya i know its an 02, but what has changed on the stab in the last 3 years? Its the same design.

mtbr member
    Check out Iron Horse..........and is the 3k on a complete bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    freeriding ain't safe. sooner or later you will hurt or kill yourself.yer spokes aint' gonna make any difference less'n you get yer johnson caught in them

I wanna talk to Samson!
    check this, prices will come down a ton once the new dw's drop.

iron horse sgs wc
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Ya i know its an 02, but what has changed on the stab in the last 3 years? Its the same design.
    they got lighter and got better components, what im trying to say is for an 02, its priced pretty steep. still a way nice bike, though.
    JackNugz

mtbr member

Look at Cortina

If you are that big I would say check out a CORTINA. They are made locally and they had a STEEL single pivot out last year that they have re done. I have heard that they will help locals out some what like giving you a kick ass deal on a fork if you buy one of their frames. If they still make the steel version go for it. This bike will last longer than you and they will add extra gussets if they deem it needs to be done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    check out transition cycles there burly as hell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    check out transition cycles there burly as hell.
    they don't really have any full on dh bikes though.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    check this, prices will come down a ton once the new dw's drop.

iron horse sgs wc
    Ya that is expensive as hell so I'd check out some other places first where theyre still trying to get rid of the 03 and 04 models for this upcoming season...I remember seeing that same bike for $1400 brand new somewhere I can't remember it now...

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    Ya that is expensive as hell so I'd check out some other places first where theyre still trying to get rid of the 03 and 04 models for this upcoming season...I remember seeing that same bike for $1400 brand new somewhere I can't remember it now...
    Its a pretty good deal on the 04 World Cup model, you probably must have seen a different version of it as there are the Expert and Team models that have the exact same frame..... in reality its a great price for a great bike and it fits right within his budget despite the fact that it seems he really has no budget since he proposed that hes able to spend much more if he wants to....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Disco-Superfly
    Wal Mart has the best DH bikes.
    'nuff said
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, v10 sounds like it might suit you, my bro is in love with his (his is an 04, not the new one) and I have heard alot of good things about the newe ones and old ones. they also seem like they can take quite a beating.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Wal Mart has the best DH bikes.
    'nuff said
    Yeah, right, fool. If you don't know what you're talking about, you should keep your trap shut. EVERYONE knows that TARGET bikes are the true gold standard.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDigger
    Yeah, right, fool. If you don't know what you're talking about, you should keep your trap shut. EVERYONE knows that TARGET bikes are the true gold standard.
    Oh man!
    im going to go sit in the corner and cry.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDigger
    WRONG K-mart is where its at