I need an inner chain guard that mounts where the small ring mounts where do i get 1?- Mtbr.com
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

New question here. I need an inner chain guard that mounts where the small ring mounts where do i get 1?

I hate when i chain falls off i never ride the 22 ring...what can i do to keep it on? is there anything i can buy that will work? i know of the envy gear ring thing but i dont know about getting it here in the us...

if any one has made such a creation please let me know.

i made one out of the bottom of a coffee can once but it was loud as hell all the time and it bent to easily. i cant run a bashguard on the inside because of the chain stay clearance.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can order the Envy Double E online from John Henry Bikes in Vancouver BC

http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/catalo...ry=63&item=125

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Hmmm...

sadly the Envy Double-E is the only item of it's kind I've ever come across. Good luck.

You might consider having one custom made, should be pretty simple for most machine shops I'd think.

I liked the old *****
    Jan 2004
    Dangerboy just came out with one - saw it in LBS, but can't find it on db web site. It was their typical bashguard, with a single-wide (non-pinned) chainring and a [much thinner] inner guard/ring that mounted to the small ring. It was a 4 bolt for ~$80, and looked nice.

The LBS didn't know if they had a 5 bolt compact, or a 32 chainring like I needed . . . I just ordered a e13 STS, so it didn't matter to me. I don't know if they sell just the inner guard/ring either . . . good luck.

Regards

mtbr member
    i made one for my bike it is quite simple of you know your way around the shop just take a look at the ones at a lbs and kinda think it out from there. if you make it custom to your bike you are able to use thicker metal and you can also make a chaingide and rolers for practacly nothing and then its made just how you want them. if you need directions for the dual bashgaurd i can get some pics of mine. hope this helped

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

please show some of the pics of yours

Quote Originally Posted by ryde2live
    i made one for my bike it is quite simple of you know your way around the shop just take a look at the ones at a lbs and kinda think it out from there. if you make it custom to your bike you are able to use thicker metal and you can also make a chaingide and rolers for practacly nothing and then its made just how you want them. if you need directions for the dual bashgaurd i can get some pics of mine. hope this helped
    pics would be awesome

mtbr member
    basicaly just use the small chainring as a gide for the holes and then use the spade bit (use drill press dont atempt to use regular drill) to make it clear the frame beter (final adjustsments are made with a file) trace your curent bashgaurd for the shape. any more questions let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

modify an old chain ring

I have made a few ghetto-garage chain guards by sawing the teeth off of a normal chainring (use a Dremel or hacksaw, finish with a hand file). Just find what size small ring will fit once the teeth are sawed off. Then clamp it to your workbench, drink a few beers, turn the lights down low, and start sawing....

dwj
    mtbr member
    you can also use an old big chainring (42t) cut off the teeth then bolt it to the inside. get some spacers for the inside and use extra long chainring bolts. with the long chainring bolts you can mount two guides and a sprocket to the same spider.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

Yea i have tried a ton of stuff.....

i ended up ordering a double e plate....hopefully it doesnt hit my chain stay. its on a azonic ds1 by the way. i tried using a rf bash guard but it rubbed.

thanx for replying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hell, mine was even more ghetto. I used the bottom of those cheap plastic tupperware-type containers. More tolerance for mistakes too. And they worked. Had them on when I went to B.C. and rode Whistler. I dropped my chain only once there. But it never dropped when I went off big drops. And in general, even though I did drop my chain now and then, those were few and far in between. Wouldn't use them for critical races, but other than that, it worked awesome and cost me only a buck for each container and the time it took to make it. And because it's plastic, it was very, very quiet. You figure they would have cracked or failed in some way, but nope, the one I made lasted me a whole year. I made backups, but never needed them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    ha that is one of the coolest things i have ever seen.
    signature

north bush biker

did u use

did you you a torch/plasma cutter to cut it out? ( the outer circle)
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

Artist formly Poop
    that is sweet
    Pirates are the S

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmerchant
    Hell, mine was even more ghetto. I used the bottom of those cheap plastic tupperware-type containers. More tolerance for mistakes too. And they worked. Had them on when I went to B.C. and rode Whistler. I dropped my chain only once there. But it never dropped when I went off big drops. And in general, even though I did drop my chain now and then, those were few and far in between. Wouldn't use them for critical races, but other than that, it worked awesome and cost me only a buck for each container and the time it took to make it. And because it's plastic, it was very, very quiet. You figure they would have cracked or failed in some way, but nope, the one I made lasted me a whole year. I made backups, but never needed them.
    dude that would be so quiet and looks sick (IMO)
    i envy you, or i would but i don't need one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRTH SHORE
    did you you a torch/plasma cutter to cut it out? ( the outer circle)
    i used a band saw and then a metal lathe but same thing could be done with a angle grinder or hacksaw and then finish with a file to get it round. but the best way is just to use a cnc/miling machine since i only made one i dident bother to set up the machine exe...