I need help! Going crazy!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

I need help! Going crazy!

Help me; I'm dying here!!!!! I have such a passion for DH mountain biking but I honestly have no earthly idea where to ride and practice! It's driving me insane!!!! I live in the Roanoke, Va area and I'm willing to travel a little ways, but I just need places to practice!! Anywhere I can access the top and ride down is what I'm looking for. I've done Carvin's Cove and you've got to really push to get all the way to the top for the gauntlet. I'm sick of having to go uphill forever with my DH rig!!

I want to race and get better and better every day, and I'm more than willing to put in the effort for training!! All I need now is guidance and resources. Any help at all would be much appreciated! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    dude - ive offered to let you get in on some shuttle runs in blacksburg.

but around here you gotta hike your bike to the top. plus there are tons more trails than the gauntlet. fort lewis mountain has 3 downhills - north mountain has 5 ( 3 of which are gnarlier than the gauntlet)

shoot me a PM and we will ride, alright?!

i would also recommend trying to get a hardtail. descend as fast as you can on that and you will feel much more more skilled and faster when you get on your big bike. you gotta earn you downhills around here.

Just Ride
    Man, I moved to Norfolk 4 years ago, right after I built my dream M3. Sold it that summer. I'd love to be able to ride down a hill, any hill. Highest point in 20 miles or so is the old trash dump turned golf course, maybe 80 vertical feet. Your downhill woes got nothing on my downhill woes.

Ride up the next couple weeks till it gets all cold and nasty. Then trek the two hours to Snowshoe next spring.

East Coasters bike shop in Roanoke and Blacksburg does a lot of rides and stuff too. Not as much DH but I'm sure they'll get ya in the right direction. Just had a Super D and XC race last weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    if you have a roof, dead trees, a chainsaw, duct tape, and bailing wire, you can do anything.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    if you have a roof, dead trees, a chainsaw, duct tape, and bailing wire, you can do anything.
    There are almost no problems in the world that cannot be solved by applying duct tape.

But seriously, I think this points in the right direction. First of all, you have been given pointers to quite a few DH trails already in this thread, as well as offers to join a shuttle. Sounds like a good start.
    Second, get out on a more local hilltop if you can find one, and build yourself a good mini-DH track to become your hometrack. Try to build a little bit of everything on it, so that you can practice all aspects of DH/FR riding, even if you don't have the vertical drop. I just moved houses, and am in the process of doing just that (because my old "hometracks" are now 1 hour away). I've only got 300f of vertical on this hill, with about 1500f total track length, but there's a ton of stuff I can fit in there. I've already got a gap, berms, a couple of mid-size drops, a 2 dirt kickers. Still working on more berms, and will include a DJ-type double as well soon. I can go out and session this thing whenever I want, the push back up isn't too bad, and all the features are interesting, even if it is short. Then I drive out for the shuttles etc on weekends or whenever...

If you have even less space to work with, just put up a couple DJs and work on your air time, + build a pumptrack on a flat piece of land somewhere to work on your turns. Then when you get out for those shuttles, you'll be ready to rip.

I know you said you want to ride and practice proper DH...and yeah sure, nothing beats having a couple 1000 f vertical drop and a good uplift/shuttle, but in the meantime, you can work on technique and fuel your passion to ride at the same time.

mtbr member
    OMG are u kidding me - why are u complaining - u have more vert terrain right next to you that we have in the whole of the UK. We dont have a single ski lift here and yet have world cup and world champs winners.

Man UP

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Alright, thanks guys.

Matt, I thought I sent you a pm asking more about it but I never got a reply? I'm up for the ride if we can work out the details.

I guess I just have a hard time seeing what's out there and having to put it to action somehow. I have no idea where to go to build some stuff! Isn't it illegal to build on state property, or is it just a "hush, hush" sort of thing?

So the UK really doesn't have all that much? I thought they were pretty big on it?

I also heard the spec mines and dody ridge trails are pretty good. I'll have to check those out sometime.

mtbr member
    Just moved to Norfolk two days ago, f____l____a____t
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well that stinks! Are there at least some known pump tracks or DJ parks around? I'd love to do that stuff!

I do go uphill with my forty some pound bike. That's all I ride now for that very reason: to harden up. I just really hate going uphill! Not fun, but I'll do it to get to a great DH! My thinking is that I should be using up all of my energy on DH so I get as much practice as possible, but that's just not reality a lot of times.

I posted, a while back, my trip to Carvin's Cove doing some 14 miles mostly uphill and XC stuff with my bike, so I know I can do it, I just do not like it at all! What're you going to do?
    Last edited by StealthWarrior; 10-31-2009 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    OMG are u kidding me - why are u complaining - u have more vert terrain right next to you that we have in the whole of the UK. We dont have a single ski lift here and yet have world cup and world champs winners.

Man UP

Are you mental? What are you talking about?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by profile
    He must actually be English, as opposed to "from the UK".
    William Wallace handed the English their asses back when and they still haven't gotten over it, even though they took the country back later...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by profile

Ok make that England and Wales Point still stands Pete and Gee A dont live in Scotland and we only have 2 hills over 1000m down south with no lifts.

Even if you do include scotland I think there is only 1 ski lift where you can chuck a bike on.

Push up bro - hardens u up

Glad to Be Alive
    [QUOTE=Matt 891]dude - ive offered to let you get in on some shuttle runs in blacksburg.
    QUOTE]

how long are the shuttle runs in Blacksburg?? What are some of the features?? I might be interested in going next August
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseaDebo
    Just moved to Norfolk two days ago, f____l____a____t
    YUP. Gets a bit better if you head back over the bridge towards Williamsburg and stuff but nothing too special.

Where abouts in Norfolk are ya?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    Where abouts in Norfolk are ya?
    Living on the amphib base, Little creek. i don't know if it's technically Norfolk, definitely close enough. i planned on heading over the bridge to check out some trails today, but the slave cylinder in my truck's rear drum is leaking, so i got to fix that.
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthWarrior
    Help me; I'm dying here!!!!! I have such a passion for DH mountain biking but I honestly have no earthly idea where to ride and practice! It's driving me insane!!!! I live in the Roanoke, Va area and I'm willing to travel a little ways, but I just need places to practice!! .

Hey man i live in c-ville and theese are the three dh runs i have done-

Snowshoe- woth the three hour drive only open in the summer on weekends. Dont go unless the western side is open. Powerline is the best trail.

Massanutin- onthe otherside of the mountaian there are some great downhill trail inluding one with huge berms and ruck drops. there is no lift but there is a road to the top. *you must buy a pass to get in or volenteer like 10 hours of trailwork a year, not bad at all.

Sherando- not shure how to shuttle this one but people do it. Great climb up swichbacks to a long long downhill. Great am-xc day ride.

And in my back yard i have freeride stuff. Ive got a simi-slopestyle corse and five freeride runs in the woods. 70+ foot of ladder bridge

hope this helps

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How far away is c-ville from Roanoke? What's the full name of the city?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthWarrior
    How far away is c-ville from Roanoke? What's the full name of the city?
    dam......kids are so helpless nowdays
    charlotsville...use google maps....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jul 2009
    c-ville (charlotesville) is like 2 1/2 hours or so from roanoke.

Massanutin and sherando are closer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    [QUOTE=SHIVER ME TIMBERS]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    dude - ive offered to let you get in on some shuttle runs in blacksburg.
    QUOTE]

how long are the shuttle runs in Blacksburg?? What are some of the features?? I might be interested in going next August
    the actual truck ride back to the top does take a bit of time. we usually get about 5-6 runs in when we go.

there are multiple trails to access from the top. they are plenty of fun but not overly technical or challenging. its a blast and the only shuttlable hill around - beggars cant be choosers.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I looked it up on mapquest and there were a few that came up. Sorry, didn't know which one it was.

Members who have read this thread: 0