I loved my '04 Kona Stinky and want to buy one again, is the newer design better?- Mtbr.com
    ixi
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I loved my '04 Kona Stinky and want to buy one again, is the newer design better?

I had a 2004 Kona Stinky Primo a couple of years ago with a Super T up front and Vanilla RC Coil in the back. I absolutely loved that bike, especially the upright sitting position it put you in for pedaling. I pedaled that beast everywhere and was always impressed going up and down the hill. The bike was just great until a Jeep Cherokee made sweet love to it. I went for something lighter (Intense 5.5) but have always missed the Stinky.

Anywho I'm going to buy one again and was wondering if anyone can compare the old version with the newer design. Does it pedal as well? Does it put you in the same upright position for pedaling? I rode a '07 around in the parking lot and it pedaled poorly but maybe I'm just used to my snappy 5.5. Price isn't a huge deal 'cause I can get either for pretty cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've ridden an 04 stinky and an 06 stinky and I liked the 06 much more. It does have an fairly upright seating position.

I can't imagine them making the bike worse over time.

Trying a little
    the newer design is better newer = 08, don't get the 07 I read in MBA it was really flexy and for once I think I believe those jackasses

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Meh.
    I don't think the 07 was very flexy. We had a few in the shop with the solid rockers. I had taken the demos out a couple of times. Seemed to be alright. I wasn't satisfied with the component spec though. The new frames definitely ride different from the 04s.

See if you can stop by a shop and demo or rent one.

Trying a little
    well the 08 frame looks cool

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

What's that smell?
    I just continue to dump money into mine while I wait for it to break. Could be awhile...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Well, we just got back from Moab two weeks ago. I took my 07 stinky and we did the whole enchilada ride not incuding burro pass but did include a long ride back to the other side of town. It pedaled great and on the last section of porcupine I was able to clear a lot more than I could before. The 08's look pretty nice. The 07's have the solid rockers so no worries there. Great bike for the price.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bike Hustler
    what about a Transition Dirtbag? I imagine you'd really love one if you liked the Kona that much. Otherwise, the 08' Stinky with the D.O.P.E system looks like it will be nice.

ixi
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Maybe price is an issue, I don't think I'll get an '08 because this will be a back up bike more or less. I do like the idea of the dope system, do they work on the '04s?

I guess this is more about pedaling than anything else. I go to Deer Valley and Big Sky a few times a year but I'm mostly going to pedal this beast around. I know the '04 fit me great so maybe I should just go with what works eh?

By the way here's a few pics of the hot love making between my Stinky and Cherokee

https://img54.exs.cx/img54/3271/IMAGE004.jpg

https://img54.exs.cx/img54/5300/IMAGE003.jpg

Meh.
    The DOPE system does not work on the 04s, they don't have the DOPE mount on the seattube or the DOPE dropouts. You can get a floater from Brake Therapy though.

Brackish
    Man, I LOVE the look of the '08 Stinky D! But I'm a sucker for faux-bars: I have an '06 Coiler D (pedals great with the DHX 4 that came with it) and an '06 Transition Dirtbag.

Registered Jong
    [QUOTE=phxartboy]I just continue to dump money into mine while I wait for it to break. Could be awhile...

Don't fix what isn't broken

StraightOuttaCompton
    that sucks about your bike, go ahead and get one, they are good for the money.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    coiler might be a good choice and the travel will be the same.

i went from 06 coiler supreme to 07 stinky primo,the front ends are the same height but seat tube wise a lot lower.

but i do prefer the length and angles of the stinky.

if xswill could help im sure that 04 stinky and 06 coiler practically same frame.

ixi
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think they are the same but the Primo was 7" of travel and that's what I'm after, I could be wrong on that though.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by ixi

By the way here's a few pics of the hot love making between my Stinky and Cherokee

Wow! a bent MAG30 rim.. never thought i'd see the day

that sucks man.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Meh.
    Coiler has a longer top tube than the Stinky.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    the newer design is better newer = 08, don't get the 07 I read in MBA it was really flexy and for once I think I believe those jackasses
    I don't know about flexy, but the 08 linkage is progressive and the 07 wasn't. If you're into big hucks I'd get the 08.

mtbr member
    Both bikes are cool but they far far far waaaaaay different from each other.

As some stated above: the Coiler's are more like the 04 Stinky.

Starting in 2006, the design changed a lot.

I'd suggest to check one out in person before you pull the trigger.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Coilers are do all bikes, I would like the floating disc if I was fast but thats not the case. 6" of travel seems to work for me.

mtbr member
    nice pic trail bait...

and for the floating disc it is noticable even at lower speeds,jump on my buds switch and you can feel it straight away was very surprised to say the least.

Members who have read this thread: 0