I know its bad, but how bad?- Mtbr.com
    If you think you can

I know its bad, but how bad?

So, this happened to my buddies 36van (I think that's the model) after tightening the two little bolts too much. It was cracked for a few months, then just recently the little piece broke off. It still feels solid and the axle is tight. And it will be replaced ASAP, but that may not be for a week or two. Anyone know what fox would charge for new lowers? And you think its stupid to ride it like this? And sorry the pic is so big. Don't know how to make it smaller from photo bucket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wouldn't ride it like that. Why take the chance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    facial surgery is quite cheap, and very effective these days. for 20g's, your face can look almost the same as it did before! ride it like you stole it.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I am not a fan of Fox's Thruaxle design, especially on the older forks. The Allen head on my 07 36 Talas stripped completely one day as I was about to put the bike on my buddy's roof rack after a ride. Man, that car was small with 3 guys and 2 bikes in it.....
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    The amount of abuse that fork appears to have had I would say its rider is a bit on the aggressive side of things. No bloody way it should be ridden like that (the fact that it was used while "cracked" makes me cringe).

check your six
    youch my friend! I prob would not ride that anymore. It sucks on how much new lowers cost anymore.. Got a back up fork?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Check the classifieds, someone might be selling lowers and it'll cost a lot less than what fox will charge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ya its junk, better send it to me. I will give you $50. I could use some spare parts...
    Last edited by Demo9; 08-03-2010 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827
    I am not a fan of Fox's Thruaxle design, especially on the older forks. The Allen head on my 07 36 Talas stripped completely one day as I was about to put the bike on my buddy's roof rack after a ride. Man, that car was small with 3 guys and 2 bikes in it.....
    Let me get this straight. You over-torqued the the bolt with a worn out allen wrench and the head stripped out. But it's Fox's fault because they designed it wrong?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've got a brand new Fox 160mm Van off of a Scratch that I bought. I'm getting ready to put it on eBay. Steerer tube was cut to fit the Scratch. I think the length is about 7-7/8".

Runjhike@yahoo.com if you're friend is interested.

mtbr member
    For the 40 new lowers usually retail for around $270.

EastBaySteez
    I'd ride it.

But then again im Ghetto fabulous.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

AKA shitbird
    I wouldn't hesitate one bit to ride it...
    JRA

Members who have read this thread: 0