I know enough with the new frame threads but i have a poll- Mtbr.com

Poll: What frame should I get

I heart the drops

I know enough with the new frame threads but i have a poll

Ok so 2008 is done with and I realized one thing I need a new frame I am getting to fast for my Haro werx 7 so I am selling the frame. I am keeping all the parts and swapping them over to the new frame so this is my delema. Which one should I get there are so many good choices out there so I narrowed it down to a few frames that I would have to swap minimal parts on. My main use will be downhill/freeride I don't race but I am fast I love to jump but I don't huck. I also like to rail berms as fast as I can so it needs to be stiff and fairly lightweight. Here is a pick of my haro to show you the build I would transfer.
    Picture 320.jpg
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

clyde in training
    that's a pretty diverse selection

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if you're transfering parts, I would narrow it down to a glory 0, a socom, and a can diggle.

You have more of a FR build. I'd keep it that way, or sell the complete and start over.

I heart the drops
    well I want a slacker head angle and the totem blast through everything but the roughest rock gardens and I want to keep it fairly light and jumpable. I like the speed of a full on DH race bike and still want to be able to jump. All of the bikes in question look like they can be swung to either side so I would consider myself a freehiller or a downrider.

Petty and weak
    If you're a Freehiller or downrider then don't put Totems on a DHR. God will punish you. I vote Candiggle.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    I voted Socom, but either that, the Commencal, or Can-Diggle sounds like what you would want. I have heard many mixed reviews about the Glory, not the best cornerer so I wouldn't suggest that if you love to rail berms.

Premium Member
    I would recommend a Specialized SX Trail, Giant Reign X, Socom, or something similar. Definitely not a DHR, Commencal, Sunday, etc.

Premium Member
    double post

mtbr member
    Transition Blindside

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdrunner
    I voted Socom, but either that, the Commencal, or Can-Diggle sounds like what you would want. I have heard many mixed reviews about the Glory, not the best cornerer so I wouldn't suggest that if you love to rail berms.
    I have experienced that what you heard is incorrect. fwiw I no longer have a glory 0, already sold my bike and have no stake in this, and I couldn't give a f^&% if you believe me, but the glory cornered just fine. I guess i'm being a dick calling you out here, but don't post about "what you've heard from a guy who's heard" - mtbr is already to full of those. Post about what you ride and have.

my main complaint with the glory is the head angle. Its a little steep. it feels kind of like a big AM bike. It climbs just fine, a bit heavy, but it goes up. Its more of a do everything bike like the can diggle. If thats not what you're looking for I'd scratch those off the list.

you might consider a jedi instead of a can diggle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    I have experienced that what you heard is incorrect. fwiw I no longer have a glory 0, already sold my bike and have no stake in this, and I couldn't give a f^&% if you believe me, but the glory cornered just fine. I guess i'm being a dick calling you out here, but don't post about "what you've heard from a guy who's heard" - mtbr is already to full of those. Post about what you ride and have.
    No, fair enough- I was just saying that I have heard a lot of friends that have ridden it repeat one thing, and obviously it is opinion but they didn't like how it handled/cornered so I just thought it was worth mentioning. Anyway the bike on that list that I have ridden is the Flatline, which I rented for 8 days in Whistler, and rode basically every type of trail they had there. I haven't ridden many full on DH bikes so I cannot say how it compares to any others except for my old stinky, but It felt very comfortable at speed and stable overall. It seemed to jump well on trails like ALine and DM, but it felt very heavy (will a full rental build, it felt like 47 pounds). I'm not a smooth flowy rider who would ride something like Angry Pirate well either way, but it felt like an Army tank trying to get through those tight corners. If you want lightweight, look elsewhere.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    I would recommend a Specialized SX Trail, Giant Reign X, Socom, or something similar. Definitely not a DHR, Commencal, Sunday, etc.
    I think the OP is looking for a frame that all his parts will roll to. The Haro uses an 83 / 150 set-up. None of the frames you mentioned would work. Good choices though!

Another thing to mention to the OP, Glory FR's aren't currently available as a frameset. If you can find one used, it's a great ride. Personally I own a Flatline that I really like, but it's currently set up as a DH bike. I can't finance the options to make it more FR, but the frame can accept multiple shock sizes without changing the geometry...

If you set it up with your Totem, you could get a 8.75 X 2.75 size shock for 7.5 inches of travel in the rear and have a great FR bike. (Still wouldn't be much of a climber though.) This frame doesn't qualify as light either, but neither does the Glory FR...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I think the OP is looking for a frame that all his parts will roll to. The Haro uses an 83 / 150 set-up. None of the frames you mentioned would work. Good choices though!

Another thing to mention to the OP, Glory FR's aren't currently available as a frameset. If you can find one used, it's a great ride. Personally I own a Flatline that I really like, but it's currently set up as a DH bike. I can't finance the options to make it more FR, but the frame can accept multiple shock sizes without changing the geometry...

If you set it up with your Totem, you could get a 8.75 X 2.75 size shock for 7.5 inches of travel in the rear and have a great FR bike. (Still wouldn't be much of a climber though.) This frame doesn't qualify as light either, but neither does the Glory FR...
    its around 12.8 with roco tst an original axle. its a very strange bike. Aside from the weight it climbs fine. It climbs like a nomad or reign x actually, just alot heavier. Its when you point it downhill that it starts to shine.

That said, based on what the OP said, I wouldn't keep it on that list or recommend it. A glory DH maybe, but not the 0/FR

I heart the drops
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy

You my freind are a winner That is exactly what I am looking for I would like to transfer over my 9.5 x 3.0 roco world cup air but I can deal with a lesser shock. The main point is I need something more stable at speeds as the Haro feels like an AM bike and I rode a couple bigger bikes and they were sooooo much faster and didn't feel like a wet noodle when I pinned the corners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    blindside uses 8.75x2.75

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsaam
    You my freind are a winner That is exactly what I am looking for I would like to transfer over my 9.5 x 3.0 roco world cup air but I can deal with a lesser shock. The main point is I need something more stable at speeds as the Haro feels like an AM bike and I rode a couple bigger bikes and they were sooooo much faster and didn't feel like a wet noodle when I pinned the corners.
    Well, if you want stable at speed... My Flatline is the most stable bike I've been on. It loves to go fast. It will be a handful in the flats when the going gets slow, but that's my only complaint. It's not the bike's fault, it wants to go down... Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0