i know another bike choice thread!!! yay!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

i know another bike choice thread!!! yay!

ok so i'm sure u guys r tired of these types of threads but i think i have a legit case here. so here's my situation:
    1. work at a bike shop so Giant, Haro, and Jamis are all at my disposal for EP
    2. there is a very small dh/fr crowd where i live (northeast georgia), the closest thing are a few all mtn guys that are progressing more toward the freeride thing... so i think a dh scene might be here in a few years... but anyway..
    3. i'm looking for a bike thats good for light/beginner freeride and dh and thats ok at least to do the saturday afternoon group ride on the trails

so here are the suspect bikes i'm considering:
    giant reign
    giant reign x
    jamis parker
    jamis xam
    haro xeon

i'm open to all sugestions and opinions

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I didn't look at any of the options, but I suggest this one for good ground clearance, you'll be able to climb anything. I wonder if it comes in a 36" wheel option

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ok... how about constructive posts?? lol

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by brody_frdh
    ok... how about constructive posts?? lol
    Will knows what I'm going to say from your choices...

BTW, that bike's redonkulous. How in the fvck do you get up to the pedals?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

******ed or Branded??
    ok so i'm sure u guys r tired of these types of threads but i think i have a legit case here. so here's my situation:
    1. work at a bike shop so Giant, Haro, and Jamis are all at my disposal for EP
    2. there is a very small dh/fr crowd where i live (northeast georgia), the closest thing are a few all mtn guys that are progressing more toward the freeride thing... so i think a dh scene might be here in a few years... but anyway..
    3. i'm looking for a bike thats good for light/beginner freeride and dh and thats ok at least to do the saturday afternoon group ride on the trails

so here are the suspect bikes i'm considering:
    giant reign
    giant reign x
    jamis parker
    jamis xam
    haro xeon

i'm open to all sugestions and opinions
    A friend of mine had a haro xeon and he says he miss that bike!!!
    But I personally would go with the giant reign X due to the geo specs and what it's capabale of. Also can't miss the great maestro suspension. Very bottomless feeling. I have a friend with glory and loves even though it's a size to small for him the bike just kicks ass. And the the reign is the little brother to that with the the same suspemsion design. so...+1 to the the reign x

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Will knows what I'm going to say from your choices...

BTW, that bike's redonkulous. How in the fvck do you get up to the pedals?
    It is clearly it's own ladder. Lean it against a wall, climb it and ride away!

banned
    K2 Razorback

GAME ON!
    what's makes this more legit than the other threads?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    what's makes this more legit than the other threads?
    save the hate for elsewhere just lookin for other peoples opinions and riding experiences before i buy a bike

GAME ON!
    you work in a shop with all those bikes. why don't you try them and tell US which one is better.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    like i said in my origional post there is not a big market for those types of bikes. do u really think that if my shop actually stocked such bike i would waste my time posting on here where i would inevitably get flamed like you are trying to do?

GAME ON!
    it is my assumption that bike shops stock bikes. if those are the brands you carry and you do not have a single one in stock then you have quite the issue.

tying bikes is the only way to determine which is best for you.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    Hmmmm. I'd say the reign over the reign X. Less travel, easier pedaling, faster up the hills.

If there isn't a huge freeride or dh scene in Ga then you probably don't really have too many trails that necessitate anything more than a 4.5 inch trailbike.

So yeah, get the reign. Throw on a 160mm fork with adjustable travel (if it doeasn't already come with one) and ride the [email protected] outta the bike.

Can this post be done now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    we are a small shop. we can't afford alot of high end bikes. there is no market for those bikes. i have no way of getting butt in saddle time on any of these bikes so i'm lookin for other opinions to help in my decision

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69nites
    It is clearly it's own ladder. Lean it against a wall, climb it and ride away!
    What happens when you come to a stop light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    What happens when you come to a stop light?
    why at that point I suppose you could either turn right or risk death rolling the red.

mtbr member
    why at that point I suppose you could either turn right or risk death rolling the red.
    I suppose if you're really good you could pull off a sick "stand-on."

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    that is one consideration. i had the last gen reign but it was setup more of a trailbike. also for 2009 they raked the front end out an extra degree. thats what i'm leaning toward at the moment. sorry for the crime against humanity folks. didn't realize that a public forum wasn't for advice and help.

mtbr member
    that is one consideration. i had the last gen reign but it was setup more of a trailbike. also for 2009 they raked the front end out an extra degree. thats what i'm leaning toward at the moment. sorry for the crime against humanity folks. didn't realize that a public forum wasn't for advice and help.

It's not that it's a crime against humanity per se... but it just seems a little odd that you work in a bike shop (ie-you should have SOME sort of expertise around the subject of bikes) and you can't figure out what bike you want out of the brands that your shop carries.

And seriously dude, there is quite a lot that a trailbike can do... a lot more than most people would give credit to. A Stumpjumper can do 20 foot stepdowns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yeah well like i'm saying you can read spec sheets and compare geometry all day but nothing is as vital as actual ride time. see what i'm sayin?

I just wanna go fast!
    Trackstand n00b.

I'd be more worried about a green light where I have to figure out how to fit under the light.

Oh, get the Jamis Parker. All the giants have whack geometry. It feels like you're sitting on a 6" comfort bike when you ride them. The xam is a bit too xc for my tastes and I've sat on and ridden a Paker. It was fun.

According to my two second interweb research, the xeon has a 70* head angle. Too steep to be any fun on a 6" bike.

mtbr member
    yeah well like i'm saying you can read spec sheets and compare geometry all day but nothing is as vital as actual ride time. see what i'm sayin?

That is true and I do see your point. But coming from the background of working in bike shops for a good while would you suggest to any customer that walks into the door to buy the bike before it is test ridden? What if the customer doesn't like the bike and wants to return it? You are supposed to be some sort of expert in the field of bicycles, you should have some sort of heightened jedi knowledge that the general public (and people on this forum) don't have. You of all people should know to test ride before you buy, or if you are going to buy blindly that you should have a pretty accurate estimate on how a specific bike will ride. Why didn't you ask your Giant rep, your Haro rep, etc. on the bikes that you're interested in before you came on here to get opinions that are just as biased from people who are half as nice?

Honestly man, Get an Orange Alpine 160. It's the cat's pajamas, and it'll get you chicks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yeah i'm the shop guy but arent those single pivot? ewww....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just read the thread, hilarious these people are giving you sh1t, but yah, just so you're aware and dont get even more crap, jamis makes single pivots too. They have a stiffening link that alters the shock rate, but still a single pivot.

Anyway, guys, seriously, give the dude a break, I sell bikes to customers that I have limited ride time on based on user feedback all the time. I listen to customers. I help dudes on 6000 dollar road bikes that I will never be able to afford, and I listen to them, because I want to know exactly what it feels like in the bumps, the turns, the climbs, how stiff is it, how fast do you fatigue on it, and so on. Asking for opinions on an online forum designed for sharing opinions? I'm pretty ok with that.

For what its worth, are you going to be going to lifts alot? are there lots of high speed sections necessitating longer bikes? rocks and drops and jumps you want more travel for? Will you be doing trail riding on it with lots of climbing? I'd get the reign or reign X. If you're riding agressive and need a good lift bike, 08 reign X1's are on closeout from giant right now and you can get a pretty legit EP on them.

Glad to Be Alive
    read the reviews
    ....best bike ever

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5585806
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Hey guys, at least the OP has some options on the bikes he can actually get. We have customers who want a certain bike that we don't have in stock and they have to gamble and order it to see if it's what they want or not.

One of the bike companys we deal expects us to predict what our customers are going to want in the upcoming season. All of their manufacturing is based on pre-season orders. Problem is, ordering time comes up and everyone forgets about cycling and focuses on snow sports... When spring/summer comes around and customer X wants bike Y in their size; this company doesn't have any! We can't even get them cause they aren't making any more until fall... It's very frustrating. We're a small shop to and can't exactly order a size run of $5k DH/FR bikes...

When I go to bigger/new shops and they have a bike that I want to know more about, I'll ride it since it's highly possible that we won't be able to get it; or we should get it when the new season starts.

Sorry for the rant... Small business frustrations and I'm just an employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Bike Ninja |||
    Joke's on you because every Jamis bike is a single pivot, as once you look at the haro it shakes down to being a single pivot as well...

looks like you need to revise your thread to "Reign or Reign X?" and then talk to your giant rep and realize that you will be able to ride every Georgia trail on either of the bikes so pick one based on Geo numbers and feel and be done with it.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

wait...what?
    Reign X

Shred all that can be
    GT SANCTION BABY WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOhoo
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    probably not alot of lift time.... but push up time rather. haha. there are alot of sections with some high speed jumps and drops and such. i'll have to ask tomorrow about ep'ing a 08 x1. thanks

mtbr member
    The orange is a single pivot... But so is every Haro and Jamis. Since you have bikes from those companies selected you really shouldn't care. It really doesn't matter whether a bike is single pivot or not anymore, it's all about Geo, and pivot plavement. The Orange is spot on for everything you'd ever need to do, it'll climb decently enough with an adjustable travel fork that'll steepen the head angle to 68 degrees or so, and when you dh you can slack it out to the 66.5 degrees which will make it awesome. It's a 160mm travel frame that can be built up pretty light so it will be pretty easy to maneuver and very flickable in the air.

Plus it's an Orange... not too many in the states, and they make an incredible product.

Members who have read this thread: 0