I keep casing these jumps!!!!! I need some help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I keep casing these jumps!!!!! I need some help.

Well as the title says I keep casing jumps, not DJs at all, but just more slopestyle type wooden jumps, not large. The trail is super twisty and there are no real good run-ins at all so speed is always a problem. But I was wondering if altering my suspension setup might help some too. Right now I'm riding my gemini with a 200mm 888RC up front and a fox DHX 5.0 in the rear. Both are set up to be super squishy (I usually like to just ride DH and preffer really plush settings). I know I'd be fine with more speed/skill, but if I dial in the settings more on the 888 and increase the preload on the DHX do you think I might be able to carry more speed over the lips?

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Suggestions... #1 Go Faster.... #2 Preload more to rebound off of the lip...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13

i agree with #1 disagree with #2. i think preloading alot os a bad way to jump, i normally liek to just flow off the lip, then again i come at the jump with more speed, i have just scene all my friends flip over the bars or nose case when they preload becuase they rely on ths suspension to send them. preloading is fine no doubt just not to a big amount
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    i agree with #1 disagree with #2. i think preloading alot os a bad way to jump, i normally liek to just flow off the lip, then again i come at the jump with more speed, i have just scene all my friends flip over the bars or nose case when they preload becuase they rely on ths suspension to send them. preloading is fine no doubt just not to a big amount
    I agree with you on this. Unless the jump is absolutly impossible without large amounts of preload than don't focus too much on it. Whenever you start to focus on preloading too much and not on the jump itself you can get into trouble.

mtbr member
    so what I'm hearing is that I'm not going to loose much speed due to the suspension being too squishy? and yea, I'm still workin on that whole "going faster" bit

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13

agreee.....................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    rail the turns harder and suck the bike into your body while in the air and push it back down as you hit the tranny.

mtbr member
    Speed is important but as much as preloading. Need good balance of both to make the distance.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    preloading is important but its extremely important that you preload right. a well balanced preload thats done accordly to the shape of the jump will help tremendously. just pushing down hard coming towards the takeoff is not always going to help. try shifting your preload forward or back more and see which helps you utilize the lip best.

No Fear!
    Get a HT,no need to worry then

banned
    Another vote for a HT. Just learn how to ride properly.

jibber of the unjibbable
    just pin it

ya fairy
    Boogie down to free James Brown

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Go faster.

Pull up harder.

It's the same deal as a trying to bunny hop farther on flat ground.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    pedal in the air.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    pick up your knees and bring then to your chest. off the lip let the bike come up to you and get into the crouch stance . kind of hard to explain just need to see what im talking about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    your friends are either preloading unequally and pulling up before the lip, their rear rebound setting is set way too fast casing it to kick the rear end up off the jump, or they just suck at jumping.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Pro Crastinator
    if you are repeatedly casing a jump, it's because you just aren't pulling up enough. remember it's called a "jump" not a "just chill and ride off".......

nothing to do with your speed really. more speed will just make you case harder....

also preloading is key. there seems to be a big misconception of what preloading actually is. preloading is just compressing your suspension before the tranny compresses it for you and kills your momentum. now, how much you boost while unloading your preload is what the others are arguing about...

mtbr member
    What you call "flowing" most likely is preloading and you dont know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    What you call "flowing" most likely is preloading and you dont know it.
    yup, if he didn't preload, the bike would just suck up the jump he'd just get kicked over the handlebar....

Members who have read this thread: 0