I have narrowed it down to two bikes- Mtbr.com
    I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

I have narrowed it down to two bikes

Hi,

You may have saw my other thread about bikes and my budget etc. I have been looking for used bikes on pinkbike locally and bikes that would have to be shipped. I couldn't find a bike that would be perfect enough for me as there wasn't that great of a selection for my max price. either one of these bikes can get shipped to my door for 1400. So here they are:

- Jamis Dakar Bam 1 2009 - Pinkbike.com This bike is really a 2009 but he says he bought it new in September of 2010. It has 200mm of frame travel and the forks got 180mm. He has a list of the components

- 2007 Ironhorse Sunday Fresh Suspension - Pinkbike.com Iron Horse Sunday. I called the guy and talked to him for almost 30 minutes about the bike and he was telling me about how he'll include softer springs in the fork and how there is a very slight play in the frame. He said the bike has had some use but he also claims it has about 2-3 more seasons in it. He also said the handle bars may be a bit too wide. But he seemed like someone I would be willing to deal with.

I am perfectly torn between these two bikes so I would like your opinions.
    (If you are wondering about the Yeti, I just decided I would rapidly outgrow it and I am not a huge fan of air forks.)

RideDirt
    That Iron Horse looks BURLY and ready for anything lol .. I dunno how well the Jamis would hold up compared to the Iron Horse . But the Iron Horse def has taken a beating lol , i would just make a offer and see what he says ..

See what other options you might have ? Sometimes you can get a sick deal on something newer .
    Last edited by aedubber; 09-27-2011 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd steer clear of a 4 year old dh race bike made by a company that is no longer in business.

Nov 2008
    aedubber, Absolutely it does look very beat up. I offered him 1400 shipped to my door and he said that would work.

Davet, the seller of the IronHorse was telling me all about how he refreshened the bike with fork getting rebuilt and new seals etc. He was convincing me that the frame of a Sunday is awesome and how it is very burly and can take a beating which it clearly has in the pictures. He was telling me everything I need to be aware of about the bike for example when you pull up on the back of the seat there is a small but noticeable play in the frame he says is likely from the bushing that pins through and mounts the shock to the frame. he told me it is nothing I should be concerned about. In the description he said he refreshend the bearings/bushings in the frame as well. I am pretty convinced what he was telling me is true but ya never know. I know Iron horse went out of business but I could still probably find some parts on Ebay, No?

I probably will never do anything that would call for the IronHorse over the Jamis but they both look like they could do the job just fine. The Jamis is definately newer and less beat up though. IDK, I am torn between the two.

mtbr member
    I'd rock the ironhorse hands down. Replacement parts are available from Pearce cycles and another place theres a thread on ridemonkey that's use full.

The Sunday rides amazing I picked up one and was floored by how it handles, what a fast and stable bike.

Sunday without question, replace components as funds and destruction take em out great parts don't make for a great design but they help a great design be that much better.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you understand he's trying to sell it to you right?

Aluminum frames have a fatigue life and a 4 year old frame that's been ridden hard is about done. It's your money, but I'd stay away.

Huckin' trails
    The Sunday frame is a super good one, but if he had change the bushings and bearings and still has play into the frame, then I would not recommend it. If the play comes from the shock's mounts, then it could be fix with proper hardware.

Always beware of DH racing bikes, even more if you can't expect the frame yourself... Might deal the guy to take the Sunday to a bike shop for visual and mechanical inspection by a pro that could then certify the well being of the bike ?

But IMO, a Sunday is better then a Jamis. Stronger, more resistant and if it as the DW-Link, you win all over the place. And it look just so much cooler if you RAW the frame, then polish it up

And yes, you can find parts for Sunday's frames online.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    And I got to say I have a FR Yakuza Aniki Iron Horse bike and it's STRONG ! heavy, but strong.

12 feet drop, bottom out the suspension, but the frame took it and I landed super fine.

topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    you understand he's trying to sell it to you right?

Aluminum frames have a fatigue life and a 4 year old frame that's been ridden hard is about done. It's your money, but I'd stay away.
    Aluminum does have a life span and if the bike has been hammered then I'd look for a less used one. Just check his profile and search to see how abusive he is. Have a shot of the down tube and chainstays shown its a tell tale of wear and use.

And where did the unhappy face on top of my post come from lol.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Nov 2008
    I could see how the frame could be fatigued. I just feel like I probably won't be riding the bike hard enough to cause an excessive amount of stress on the frame. but in the description of the bike it says there is no play in the frame but when i called him up he said when you pick it up with the seat there is like a 1mm play.

It's a tough decision and I still haven't ruled out the Jamis, but I understand the risk of buying the bike thats 4 years old.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I currently have a Jamis Bam with a Rockshox Totem (180mm) up front. I built it up in the spring to replace my first attempt at a big bike (07 Trek Session 77). I've ridden it at a couple places in the Northeast and love it so far. I think for the price it would be hard to beat.

Build thread here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...-a-697722.html
    Go ride your bike.

Nov 2008
    It is such a hard decision to make it might come down to a toss up haha. I feel like the Sunday is a better bike but I would be taking a risk with the frame and the jamis is not queit as good of a bike but it is newer, less hammered and probably a bike I can rely on a little more.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage View Post
    I could see how the frame could be fatigued. I just feel like I probably won't be riding the bike hard enough to cause an excessive amount of stress on the frame. but in the description of the bike it says there is no play in the frame but when i called him up he said when you pick it up with the seat there is like a 1mm play.

It's a tough decision and I still haven't ruled out the Jamis, but I understand the risk of buying the bike thats 4 years old.
    That kind of play feel like it's the shock's mounting hardware that aren't properly fix yet... And you don't wanna buy trouble. I really like the green DH, but not the bloody kind, so looks like Jamis is next.

But did you tried to get a pro to inspect the Sunday ?

David

Nov 2008
    Huh? you don't like the bloody kind? are you saying you like the Sunday but not in this case because it is beat up? So I take it you are suggesting the Jamis then

Huckin' trails
    Huh? you don't like the bloody kind? are you saying you like the Sunday but not in this case because it is beat up? So I take it you are suggesting the Jamis then
    I don't like a DH bike to fail. No one wants.

And I'm suggesting to get the Sunday fully inspected by a pro and get it to certified the build and reliability of the bike. Then you will be fix wether or not to buy it.

Then Jamis is like the ugly girl in high school... She got to be easy because she has to

David

Nov 2008
    haha. I probably couldn't get the Sunday fully inspected because the bike is in Oregon and I am not buying it locally if I were to buy it. I don't know how it would work, Call him and ask him if he could run it down to the bike shop and have it looked at and then tell me what they say about the status of the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    gotta remember, if a crack is about to happen on a frame near the end of its fatigue life, it may not necessarily be spotted by a "pro" at a shop because its not visible yet. Its always a gamble.
    '18 banshee rune

Huckin' trails
    haha. I probably couldn't get the Sunday fully inspected because the bike is in Oregon and I am not buying it locally if I were to buy it. I don't know how it would work, Call him and ask him if he could run it down to the bike shop and have it looked at and then tell me what they say about the status of the frame?
    Yeah, and then the lbs call you to tell you the condition of the bike.... Or you are just buying a bike as-is without any guaranty it will work... I've always trusted people, but sometimes I prefer to think twice before putting down $1 400 on a bike that has been beat up and a guy really wanting to sell it... If he's honest, he won't argue about getting the bike inspected. Then you can deal in the price depending on the results...

But there's really no local deals ??

David

Nov 2008
    I have pretty much ruled out the Jamis. but I would like to welcome another member to the Canidacy: 2008 Iron Horse Sunday Team**PRICE DROP** - Pinkbike.com I offered him 1400 shipped and he said he would consider it if a few locals don't take him up on their offers. let me know what you think of it.

EastBaySteez
    Slight play in the linkage..............

No thanks.

I rode a 7point with "slight" linkage play. It was horrid. Find another ride man...
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Huckin' trails
    Nice. Check that out. Looks good.

David

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6 View Post
    Slight play in the linkage..............

No thanks.

I rode a 7point with "slight" linkage play. It was horrid. Find another ride man...
    That 2008 Sunday doesn't say it has play in the frame...

Nov 2008
    But the sucky thing is he did say the guy is very interested. but the guy with the 07 just sent me this haha '07 Ironhorse Sunday for Sale - YouTube

Huckin' trails
    But the sucky thing is he did say the guy is very interested. but the guy with the 07 just sent me this haha '07 Ironhorse Sunday for Sale - YouTube
    At 0:21, I knew he just blow up the deal... Man, rock garden full speed ahead and bang the bike... No wonder he want to sell it... He knows his stuff and he know the bike won't last that much abuse for long...

Good deal for the parts, if you can find another Sunday frame to transfers them

Otherwise, I still freakin' love the green package, so badass

Sunday ! Sunday ! Sunday !!!

David

Nov 2008
    You are saying you love the green package and not to buy the bike? huh?

Huckin' trails
    You are saying you love the green package and not to buy the bike? huh?
    You really stick to your username , uh ?

Yes, I freaking love the color scheme.

No, I won't buy that bike, since I don't think it will holds up to much abuse after the seller bang it for 4 years straight.

Now move on to the white one.

David

Nov 2008
    One more member: Jamis Dakar Bam 2.....NEED GONE ASAP - Pinkbike.com

So far my options are:

Jamis Dakar Bam 2.....NEED GONE ASAP - Pinkbike.com (he said he could do 1500 shipped)

2008 Iron Horse Sunday Team**PRICE DROP** - Pinkbike.com (He said it's not looking realistic like he could ship it to me because he thinks someone is going to buy it locally.)

2007 Ironhorse Sunday Fresh Suspension - Pinkbike.com You guys said that frame is probably fatigued

let me know what you think, I am doing this because I have little experience and I am faithfully relying on you to lead me in the right direction so I don't get a bike that i wish I wouldn't have.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    OP: how tall are you? you are showing us large and small frames......we need to know.
    Go ride your bike.

Nov 2008
    5'7. The Jamis the guy said is a small frame. The 07 Sunday is Medium and the 08 Sunday is medium. Does the Jamis look like it's a Large?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Nope, but the first Jamis you had mentioned was a large, so that's why I was asking. The Black Jamis with the 40 is a pretty sweet build, Newer, and from a company that still exists.
    Go ride your bike.

Nov 2008
    That is what I was thinking. I am thinking I am going to pull the trigger. How should I do this, send him the money w/ Paypal and then he sends me the tracking number for the bike? is it pretty safe?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I've had good experience with people on the the PB classifieds. Just confirm with him that you're buying it, then send. Make sure you get his full name and address, just in case there's any funny business. When you get it, ride it then post some pictures so we can all drool.
    Go ride your bike.