i hate crap rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

i hate crap rims

i hatea **** rims because they never mork whenyou crash. Im thinking about buying a new rim. I have a a rhinolite in the front and the other day i crash jumping and bent it huge.In the back i have a singletrack it is working good but i bent it pretty good. Its good now. I am 15 and im 5 7"and weigh about 160 pounds so im pretty big. Im looking for a good rim can anyone surgest a good rim for a good deal. Talk to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by santa-cruz
    i hatea **** rims because they never mork whenyou crash. Im thinking about buying a new rim. I have a a rhinolite in the front and the other day i crash jumping and bent it huge.In the back i have a singletrack it is working good but i bent it pretty good. Its good now. I am 15 and im 5 7"and weigh about 160 pounds so im pretty big. Im looking for a good rim can anyone surgest a good rim for a good deal. Talk to me.
    if you want a good rim and weight is no issue go for the arrow dhx's from go-ride. some people also swear by the azonic outlaws. mag 30s are strong too. another thing that helps is to check your spoke tension like WCH said.

Cynical Bystander
    I am 6'1" 200-215lbs (depends on the day ), run full Rynolites on my dh bike, never even had to true them. Theyre not bad rims, its all in the build and maintainance/abuse to them. Try getting a set of D521s, those are pretty cheap, Cambria still has some of the old ones before the name got switched, and they are still fairly light.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr remember
    im 5 7"and weigh about 160 pounds so im pretty big.
    not really.
    Make sure your wheels are built by a good wheelbuilder next time. A badly built wheel or loose spokes are usually the cause of taco'ing a wheel- not a weak rim. make sure they're 3x and if I were you I would get 14 straight guage spokes too.
    but if you want a burly rim check out an Arrow Racing DHX or a Halo. Also a Sun DoubleTrack or Mag30, those are all pretty wide beefy rims, but your gonna pay for it in rotating weight. All probably around $60-$70ea, so not really cheap, but in most cases you get what yo upay for.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Theyre not bad rims, its all in the build and maintainance/abuse to them. .
    WORD
    yeah i forgot to say it's all in the build. the guys @go-ride know what they are doing. maybe that crack addict in the bush by your house doesn't.

naw, but it is all in who builds the wheel.

Former Noob Herder
    well, it doesnt help that Rhinos are heavy XC rims. Its one of those weird wheels that'll seem to work fine and take abuse and then just fold one day unexpectedly.

EX721s....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr remember
    holy crap yo uguys are fast typers!@!! I started typing my response before anybody else was up there, but yeah, now it looks like I just repeated a bunch of pointless info- oh well.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    WORD
    yeah i forgot to say it's all in the build. the guys @go-ride know what they are doing. maybe that crack addict in the bush by your house doesn't.

naw, but it is all in who builds the wheel.
    HAHA, Crack addict in the bush in our house.

Sorry, thought it was funny.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    HAHA, Crack addict in the bush in our house.

Sorry, thought it was funny.
    i never said that...
    i said crack addict in the bush by your house.
    now i'm beginning to think that crack addict is you.
    whatever as long as somebody found something that i sort of said remotely amusing.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    i never said that...
    i said crack addict in the bush by your house.
    now i'm beginning to think that crack addict is you.
    whatever as long as somebody found something that i sort of said remotely amusing.
    I know, but when I read it my mind automatically made it that whether you said it or not.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

USB Rep'n

no offense but..

at 5-7", 160#, you aren't a big guy. If you are destroying Rhyno's, I'd work on getting smoother before investing in expensive wheels.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    at 5-7", 160#, you aren't a big guy. If you are destroying Rhyno's, I'd work on getting smoother before investing in expensive wheels.
    Now that deserves this...

WERD

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    how much does getting smoother cost?

so i guess he should just keep destroying wheels and buying new ones of the same strength until he learns to be smoother right?

honestly, the dumbess (pseudo) advice ever. I'm 160-165lbs and could destroy a set of Rhinos in a couple of runs without leaving the ground.

forget these snobs and get some real hoops.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro

so i guess he should just keep destroying wheels and buying new ones of the same strength until he learns to be smoother right?

honestly, the dumbess (pseudo) advice ever. I'm 160-165lbs and could destroy a set of Rhinos in a couple of runs without leaving the ground.

WHAT are you talking about Z? I suppose I could back my car over my RL's and toast em that way without leaving the ground but I'd love to know how you'd bust em up staying earthbound otherwise.

I guess, on second thought, your advice is much better. Spend a ton, destroy the wheel, spend a ton to replace it makes much more sense than spending less, destroying the wheel, the spending less again. Consumerism rules!

Seriously bud, what gives? On another note, I can't believe that, of all the things you've read here, that my advice is the dumbest ever. Then again, we each have our own opinions and relativity.

Peace.
    nam
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    lol....people take this stuff toooooooo seriously sometimes...

on a side note. I'm picking up a hadley/Mag30 wheelset this weekend. I've had Sun MAmmoths on my Bullit for 4 years and they've held up great though the rear is a little tweaked right now. they will be getting replaced by the new wheelset. The Mag30's should hold up great considering my 140# weight.
    AJ

Card Carrying Member
    Time on your bike, that's how much it costs.

I'm 160-165lbs and could destroy a set of Rhinos in a couple of runs without leaving the ground.
    Here's where the being smooth part comes in again...

Please enlighten us as to what "real hoops" are.

*edit for add on*

Seriously, I don't think he should rush out and buy the same sh!t, but at that weight he shouldn't be destroying those wheels unless they were machine built or neglected. I've seen those take lots of abuse by heavier riders.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Time on your bike, that's how much it costs.

Here's where the being smooth part comes in again...

Please enlighten us as to what "real hoops" are.
    Agreed, and after last weekend Jim has seen that I'm not the smoothest rider when I go on things and my wheels are still fine after that.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Card Carrying Member
    Agreed, and after last weekend Jim has seen that I'm not the smoothest rider when I go on things and my wheels are still fine after that.
    hehe, easy to come up short when you can't see the landing till the end of the bridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former Noob Herder
    apparently, time on his bike costs him more rims.

seriously, why cheap out on rims in the first place? people have this odd logic (and i've had it once too) that you need to be good at riding your bike before you can buy expensive and strong parts. Shouldnt you be buying the strongest rims while your learning and not so smooth, then once you are better, you can move to something more lightweight (like the Rhinos for example)?

and strong doesnt have to mean expensive (usually just means heavy). If you dont want to risk busting something, get something stronger than you'll typically need. Like i'm not hard on cranks, but i bent my LX inward from a crash. So i went with X-Drives which are way stronger than i need, but 99.99% chance they'll rust before i bust them....i just dont feel like the risk of buying new cranks.

In his case, he could go to a Arrow DHX (for example), and then simply not worry about those rims. Logic does not dictate that he'll never get smoother by riding stronger rims, he'll eventually get smoother (if thats the problem) and his rims will last the lesson. Spend once and dont worry. If he busts another Rhino, then the extra cost of a stronger rim would of been worth it right there.

And as for trashing rims while staying on the ground, how many WC racers do you see running Rhinos, which are lighter than EX721s (a pros favorite). And yet those things still get trashed because they're smoking through the rough stuff. Now i'm not WC fast obviously, but the terrain i ride is full of rocks and square edged hits, not this smooth stuff that seems to be prevalent out west in some areas. Getting Rhinos where i ride for DH would simply be the worst investment ever.

Rhinos are a heavy duty TRAIL rim; yeah they work for some, but if your trashing them, get a REAL DH/FR rim.

is this a little more clear?

Card Carrying Member
    hehe...

seriously, why cheap out on rims in the first place? people have this odd logic (and i've had it once too) that you need to be good at riding your bike before you can buy expensive and strong parts. Shouldnt you be buying the strongest rims while your learning and not so smooth, then once you are better, you can move to something more lightweight (like the Rhinos for example)?

Seriously, I don't think he should rush out and buy the same sh!t, but at that weight he shouldn't be destroying those wheels unless they were machine built or neglected. I've seen those take lots of abuse by heavier riders.
    Where did I say he should cheap out on rims?

Former Noob Herder
    hehe...

Where did I say he should cheap out on rims?
    not sure i was responding to you...

ah hell it doesnt matter. I just dont know why some are acting its abnormal a Rhino blew up...did it suddenly turn 1996?

Cynical Bystander
    not sure i was responding to you...

ah hell it doesnt matter. I just dont know why some are acting its abnormal a Rhino blew up...did it suddenly turn 1996?
    According to my calendar its 1995.

I also wasnt necessarily saying not to buy nicer stuff I was just kinda leaning towrads the fact that just cuz something breaks doesnt automatically mean that it sucks and that there are more factors playing into things.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Card Carrying Member
    did it suddenly turn 1996?
    Yes, and I just picked this beast up... It's not out yet, it's a 97

Former Noob Herder
    Yes, and I just picked this beast up... It's not out yet, it's a 97

you can see into the future!?

Card Carrying Member
    you can see into the future!?
    one-off prototype.

Disco-Superfly
    hmmmm.............
    I cant think of a Rim that is made for crashing....??
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    hmmmm.............
    I cant think of a Rim that is made for crashing....??
    funny enough, i think the rims are about the only part that have the best chance of surviving a crash.....i guess cus crashing involves not being on your wheels anymore....

Card Carrying Member
    i guess cus crashing involves not being on your wheels anymore....
    What about top tube boogies?

Former Noob Herder
    What about top tube boogies?
    you mean when you "fly" helplessly head first towards a tree? at least ejection is garanteed to lighten the wheel load...