I can't forking decide......- Mtbr.com
    Uhhhhh...

I can't forking decide......

As you know, i ordered a new V-10 with a DHX recently and now i need a fork. I was going to get a new Boxxer but there half ass way of just pulling the stanchions out and having less bushing overlap kind of turned me off on that idea. I WON'T ride a 888 so it's mostly between a White Bros DH 2.0 or a Dorado MRD X-Works (heard they fixed 'em for 05). For the people who have ridden the forks, if money is no object, what should i get.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    ive still heard there are some problems with the new x-works so id go with the white bros.

if you are willing to consider more forks, then id suggest the fox dh 40

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    ive still heard there are some problems with the new x-works so id go with the white bros.

if you are willing to consider more forks, then id suggest the fox dh 40
    What have you heard and do you have a link? Something about 40mm stanchions, 4pinch bolts on the steerer and 6.8lbs scares me.......

-TS

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    What have you heard and do you have a link? Something about 40mm stanchions, 4pinch bolts on the steerer and 6.8lbs scares me.......

-TS
    after seeing kyle strait ride it in person, i wouldn't worry about it.

out of the 2 above i would go dorado, just because ive never liked white bros stuff.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i seriously dont know why you wouldnt consider a 888...

but i would have to go with the dorado...i personally prefer the older 03' MRD ones thos...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    after seeing kyle strait ride it in person, i wouldn't worry about it.

out of the 2 above i would go dorado, just because ive never liked white bros stuff.
    Honestly, i dont give a sh!t about what pros ride what because noone has any idea how many they've gone through. I saw Kyle, Yeti pro's, and Marla riding them at Snowmass. The primer gray Fox chose is ugly too. I wonder if SPV Evolve feels good.

-TS

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i seriously dont know why you wouldnt consider a 888...

but i would have to go with the dorado...i personally prefer the older 03' MRD ones thos...
    After seeing how thin the lowers are and how TALL the ride height is even with lowriders.....

-TS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Artist formly Poop
    must be great to be rich hahaha, what are you doing with your bighit man? want to part those brakes to me... I am about to start building up a hardtail.
    Pirates are the S

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiouscaptian01
    must be great to be rich hahaha, what are you doing with your bighit man? want to part those brakes to me... I am about to start building up a hardtail.
    If someone buys the frame only there yours.

-TS

Artist formly Poop
    thats cool, how much are you selling it for
    Pirates are the S

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiouscaptian01
    thats cool, how much are you selling it for
    Complete for $1650 and frame/headset/seatpost/rearwheel for $900

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by thesherpa
    After seeing how thin the lowers are and how TALL the ride height is even with lowriders.....

-TS
    fair enough...

whats the price difference between the white and the dorado...

Uhhhhh...
    fair enough...

whats the price difference between the white and the dorado...
    Like $300 MSRP but i get can EP so price doesn't really matter.

-TS

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Honestly, i dont give a sh!t about what pros ride what because noone has any idea how many they've gone through. I saw Kyle, Yeti pro's, and Marla riding them at Snowmass. The primer gray Fox chose is ugly too. I wonder if SPV Evolve feels good.

-TS
    word i understand that. i usualy dont either...

whats the difference in weight between the white bros and the dorado?
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Uhhhhh...
    word i understand that. i usualy dont either...

whats the difference in weight between the white bros and the dorado?
    Uhh, supposedly a Dorado with integrated stem and all is about 8.3lbs and a White Bros with a Holzfeller stem is going to be exactly the same. Doesn't make the decision any easier.

-TS

Uhhhhh...
    Uhh, supposedly a Dorado with integrated stem and all is about 8.3lbs and a White Bros with a Holzfeller stem is going to be exactly the same. Doesn't make the decision any easier.

-TS
    Hmm, after considering this more, it's gotta come down to costumer service. I'm going to e-mail both companies with an equally technical and confusing question and see who gives the better answer. Any ideas on some good ques. to quiz them on are?

-TS

Jm.
    mtbr member
    my shiver is a perfect compliment to my DHX.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    my shiver is a perfect compliment to my DHX.
    Yea i saw your review on RM. Too bad the Shiver is a pig and theres already 2 '05 V10's with Shivers on 'em where i work. White Bros. would most likely be alot like a Shiver, right?

-TS

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Yea i saw your review on RM. Too bad the Shiver is a pig and theres already 2 '05 V10's with Shivers on 'em where i work. White Bros. would most likely be alot like a Shiver, right?

-TS
    yeah, weighing 0.70lbs more than an 888 or 170mm dorado really makes it a pig

sucks for you i guess.

(just because a dorados, white brothers, and shivers are all inverted doesn't mean they are mostly "alike", all 3 use very different systems, one is closed cartridge damper, one is open bath cartridge, and the other is closed TPC cartridge or SPV depending on if it's an X-works, which is about 8.5lbs by the way)

I like the DHX cause it can work just like my shiver, or very similer. I guess if you wanted to get an SPV fork you could tune the DHX similer by increasing the propedal untill the thing gets unresponsive to low speed hits, like SPV is. If you wanted it to work like a boxxer you could take an ice pick to the seals untill it starts to leak
    Last edited by Jm.; 10-17-2004 at 09:03 PM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Hmm, after considering this more, it's gotta come down to costumer service. I'm going to e-mail both companies with an equally technical and confusing question and see who gives the better answer. Any ideas on some good ques. to quiz them on are?

-TS
    ok guys, how many fingers am i holding up?
    JackNugz

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

I love when you rip on Boxxers :D

sucks for you i guess.

(just because a dorados, white brothers, and shivers are all inverted doesn't mean they are mostly "alike", all 3 use very different systems, one is closed cartridge damper, one is open bath cartridge, and the other is closed TPC cartridge or SPV depending on if it's an X-works, which is about 8.5lbs by the way)

I like the DHX cause it can work just like my shiver, or very similer. I guess if you wanted to get an SPV fork you could tune the DHX similer by increasing the propedal untill the thing gets unresponsive to low speed hits, like SPV is. If you wanted it to work like a boxxer you could take an ice pick to the seals untill it starts to leak
    I've never owned one, you just crack me up!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdemon
    I've never owned one, you just crack me up!
    I have, but you don't have to own one to experience this. Just visit your local ski-resort turned DH resort.

l337 |31k3r
    ok guys, how many fingers am i holding up?
    4!! 4....am I right?
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member
    my vote is for the white brothers. people love to bash them, because yes, their older stuff had some issues, but they were bought out eko sport, new staff, new owners, and greatly improved product. i have a dh1.8 that is great, i've been extremely happy with it. and as for customer service, the couple of times i've called them, they've been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Uhhhhh...

sucks for you i guess.

I've ridden an '05 V10 and the Shiver did match the rear almost perfectly but it also was front end heavy. Thus, which fork is more like the Shiver at a lighter-weight, 888 (Blah would have to get Works w/ LR crowns) or a White Bros.? Also, Does anyone know what the HA is on the new v-10 with a 888 or what the 67.5* HA that is published was takin with?

-TS

Cynical Bystander
    I've ridden an '05 V10 and the Shiver did match the rear almost perfectly but it also was front end heavy. Thus, which fork is more like the Shiver at a lighter-weight, 888 (Blah would have to get Works w/ LR crowns) or a White Bros.? Also, Does anyone know what the HA is on the new v-10 with a 888 or what the 67.5* HA that is published was takin with?

-TS
    Remember Will that weight is relative and once you get used to the fork it isnt hard to ride around.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Remember Will that weight is relative and once you get used to the fork it isnt hard to ride around.
    True 'dat but i want an around 40lbs bike.

-TS

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i think your putting to much thought into it...

i would have gone for the 888 from the start...slacker head angle or no slacker head angle...i think the fork would really suit the bike...

and why oh why is the head angle so important...if anything wont it give you more stability at higher speeds...and if your forks and shock are dialed in properly then once you start eating into your travel then wont the bike then sit better...cornering may be affected...or will it...and if so by how much...i dont really get this "need" for low rider crowns (mainly because im a FRer not a DHer)but are the benefits of running them so dramatic...

Uhhhhh...
    i think your putting to much thought into it...

i would have gone for the 888 from the start...slacker head angle or no slacker head angle...i think the fork would really suit the bike...

and why oh why is the head angle so important...if anything wont it give you more stability at higher speeds...and if your forks and shock are dialed in properly then once you start eating into your travel then wont the bike then sit better...cornering may be affected...or will it...and if so by how much...i dont really get this "need" for low rider crowns (mainly because im a FRer not a DHer)but are the benefits of running them so dramatic...
    Yes they really are. NEWS from RM and Answer: No Dorado MRD X-Works for '05. Looks like a White Bros., i'll make sure to post a review on it.

-TS

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by thesherpa
    Yes they really are. NEWS from RM and Answer: No Dorado MRD X-Works for '05. Looks like a White Bros., i'll make sure to post a review on it.

-TS
    nice to see you made a decision...

mtbr member

I'V been in the Interbike and Manitou's guys didn't...

bring the new (or old) MRD to the demo days. they said that the product is not ready yet.
    I had a very good experience with the Fox 40 and have a good 4 years experience with RockShox product.

V10 Freerider

Tell you what

nice to see you made a decision...

I will race you with my v10 with an OOOLD super T and we will see how it works out.... Tell me when you want to meet at Devils Den...
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    I will race you with my v10 with an OOOLD super T and we will see how it works out.... Tell me when you want to meet at Devils Den...
    Hahahahah, atleast you have a V10. Mines coming in 1 week and 3 days, hopefully.

-TS