I Can Spend 1300- Mtbr.com
    I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

I Can Spend 1300

Ok so earlier I made a thread about bikes and bikes I can get for a certain price but I didn't have the money. I sold my motorcycle and now have 1300 in cash on hand. I would like a bike I can take camping and do all sorts of hits I see etc. I have been looking on pinkbike and the local classifieds for deals and I have found good bikes but the really good deals are gone. I don't want to wait around for a perfect deal because I would like to rid a bit before it starts snowing. Also, I am curious as to wether it is wise or not to buy a bike on pinkbike from someone out of state? It just doesn't seem exactly safe at first glance. I do have a paypal account but I have a few questions about out of state transactions:

-When/If the bike arrives, I assume it is in peices so is assembling it something I could do myself?

-How much do I generally have to pay for shipping?

-If I do a transaction by Paypal and the bike either never shows up or comes and it completely sucks what do I do?

-is buying bikes over the internet usually safe?

I am asking because I can get some awesome deals but they aren't local so if I need to buy a bike over the internet I will.

here is a bike that looks decent locally, but because I have little experience in mountain biking I can't tell what are good bikes and bikes I should stay away from, tell me what you think:

2003 Yeti Bicycles: Mountain Bikes Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by drain bamage; 09-24-2011 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not sure where your from but this is in Idaho. Offer him $1300. Worst that can happen is he says no...
    Canfield Balance PRICE DROP - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This looks like a good deal in Wyoming. Might be a bit much, 10" rear travel,not too sure the type of riding you do.
    Trek Session 10 Medium (reduced price!) - Pinkbike.com

Nov 2008
    That Trek bike looks way too gnarly and bulky for me. the Canfield looks decent. And I live in SLC, Utah. I really like those Yeti AS-X bikes or at least the looks of them. But could you answer those questions above about online transactions over Pinkbike? I need information on it before I should even be looking at bikes out of state and to think if it is even something I want to do or not.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ive bought a couple frames off PB in the past. One from the other side of the country, and one from Canada. If you find something you like, check out the sellers profile. If they joined the site the same day the listing was put up, that would be kind of fishy. If they have been a member for a couple years, its probably good. You can check their buy/sell history as well.

I'm not sure how the bike would arrive. I would assume it would be torn down minimally, just enough to fit in the box. So most of it should be able to go back together fair easily.

Shipping really depends. Is it coming from one state over, or from across the country. if you find one you like, ask the seller for a shipping quote, or if you make an offer on a bike, include shipping. Say you find one for $1400, offer the guy $1300 shipped to your door. Like I said before, the worst that can happen is he'll say no.

I'm not really sure how to answer the paypal question. I imagine they would protect you IF the sale went sour.

You can always ask for more pictures. If the seller has a problem with that, they probably aren't worth dealing with any way. A good seller will hopefully work with potential buyers. It will also give you a better idea of the over all condition.
    Good luck.

Nov 2008
    Thank you.

I will ask for more pictures if the guy agrees with a deal. I will also post it up here so you can give your opinions and give me the go ahead because I am new to this.

Again, thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    that yeti will be almost 10 model years old. the components are good, but read the review on the frame- they are lackluster. if you are patient you'll be able to score some 1-3 year old bikes this off season for $1500ish. patience and research are the keys. and when that sweet deal does come along, being able to jump on it is important.

mtbr member
    There were a couple ironhrse Sundays floating around and a couple older sx trails as well within that price range both are good bikes. If out have $1300 then put a Max of $1600 in the search and start negotiating people will come down with the economy like it is-
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Nov 2008
    Ok, name dropper, that makes sense, I will eliminate that bike from the potential buys.

I will list the links to all of the bikes I could potentially buy:

1) 2009 Yeti AS-X (small) - Pinkbike.com Yeti AS-X (Small) not sure if this will fit me being 5'6 and still growing. The seller seems pretty legit even though she made the account the same day she posted the bike. I offered her 1450 shipped to my door with Paypal and she said that would work because my mom can spot me 150 dollars.

2)2008 Ironhorse 7point med - Pinkbike.com 2008 7Point (Medium) the guys profile looks a little shady. and I don't know if the bike will be too big.

3)Small Transition Bottle Rocket (price drop) - Pinkbike.com Transition Bottle rocket. It doesn't say what year but it looks pretty clean.

I am leaning towards number 1 just let me know if you see anything that should suggest otherwise.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    1) I wouldn't trust it. He/she made the profile the same day the listing was made. Like I said before, I'd avoid that. And on top of that he/she has no other activity on the site other than this sale.

2) Not sure What you see in his profile that is shady. He's an active member on the site.

3) Will probably be too small, but at 5'6" you might be right between small and medium.

mtbr member
    Are you only interested in complete bikes? I bought a 4 year old titus quasimoto in prime condition for 200 bucks a few years back (blown shock, but brand new Fox float shock was only 50 bucks, since it was a discontinued model). Its more work, but you end up with better components and cheaper. I still have that frame, rode it 2000+ miles on the Great Divide Route.

Buying each compoent also allows you to get closer to the type of bike you really want to ride, but you have to do the assembly yourself or with a friend...otherwise it costs too much in assembly. Ask around at the local bike park. Odds are there are people that have lots of bits and pieces. There are 7 bikes in my basement, and only 4 of them are built up, the rest are in pieces, and I would love to get rid of them. (I ride a Large though)

Good luck in your search.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

norco shore 3

Norco shore 3 can definitly be the bike your looking for!

you can find used ones for like 800

Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt View Post
    1) I wouldn't trust it. He/she made the profile the same day the listing was made. Like I said before, I'd avoid that. And on top of that he/she has no other activity on the site other than this sale.

2) Not sure What you see in his profile that is shady. He's an active member on the site.

3) Will probably be too small, but at 5'6" you might be right between small and medium.
    I want a bike that is fairly nimble that can jump well if that means it is a little smaller but I also want it to be able to handle the nastier steep stuff too which would probably call for a medium. I don't plan on doing most of my riding down steep choppy stuff but when I do I don't want the bike to hold me back. And the last thing I want is to feel like I am riding a big cruiser if the bike is too big.

1) It seems like there iwould be a good chance she just joined to post the bike not to be an active member and post on the forum am I wrong? Here is what she said after I asked if she could ship it:

"If I were to ship it, I would pay for packaging, but not shipping. Meeting in Red Desert, WY (about as close to middle as possible) would be cheaper for the both of us- as I would have to disassemble the bike for packaging and shipping was quoted at $150 where a tank of gas is $60. If we were to meet, I would take Paypal. (And you could have it today )."

Anything I should also ask her that might show if she is legit vs. trying to scam me? because even though I want to stay as safe as possible, I wouldn't want to pass up a good bike at a fair price.

2)I guess not but are you suggesting it looks like a good buy?

3)if it won't be too small for what kind of riding I plan on doing it also looks pretty good. My only worry is that it looks like it has been up for sale for almost a year.

Big Test Icycles
    Just my opinion here but buying bikes, especially used FR bikes can be more problematic than you cate to know. That Yeti is not being made anymore and Yeti as a company is great but moves on and has a tendency to forget about older models.

I'd take my $1300 and look into your LBS. They are trying to get rid of old models now and $1300 may get you into a great bike worth upwards of $2000 and a warranty. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2008
    I have looked in the LBS and pretty much all they have is bikes for 2500ish, even prior models.

I know what you mean about the Yeti though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage View Post
    I want a bike that is fairly nimble that can jump well if that means it is a little smaller
    That doesn't mean you need to be on a bike that is too small. You should still be able to get a bike that fits you right, and have it jump well and be nimble.

1) It seems like there iwould be a good chance she just joined to post the bike not to be an active member and post on the forum am I wrong? Here is what she said after I asked if she could ship it:

"If I were to ship it, I would pay for packaging, but not shipping. Meeting in Red Desert, WY (about as close to middle as possible) would be cheaper for the both of us- as I would have to disassemble the bike for packaging and shipping was quoted at $150 where a tank of gas is $60. If we were to meet, I would take Paypal. (And you could have it today )."

Anything I should also ask her that might show if she is legit vs. trying to scam me? because even though I want to stay as safe as possible, I wouldn't want to pass up a good bike at a fair price.
    It seems to me you may have your mind set on this bike. If it's not too far of a drive, and you are going to meet up to make the sale, I would not paypal her in advance. Go there with a pocket full of cash, look at the bike first, and if its all good buy it.
    Oh yeah, have her send you some extra pics too.

OMG!
    if i were to spend your money, i'd buy myself a new 40

Nov 2008
    Ok, well I am in Utah and she is in california so meeting up in person doesn't look realistic. I asked her for more pics though.

Being 5'6 or so I want to get a bike I can use next year too because if I grow a good bit in the next year I will probably soon grow out of a small. I am having mixed feelings about that Yeti though because 1450 dollars is a lot for a bike that may be too small or not EXACTLY the one I wanted but I guess that is the risk I take buying a bike over the internet rather than locally.

I also found a 2007 Ironhorse Sunday Fresh Suspension - Pinkbike.com size medium the guy says he is in Utah for now so he could sell it to me locally if I wanted it. I just don't know if it might be too overkill for what I am going to do.

Let me know thanks.
    Last edited by drain bamage; 09-26-2011 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Check out the Airborne Taka, I think it is $1300 new. It is basically the Ironhorse Yakuza.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You can dispute the transaction but if the seller has already withdrawn the funds from their Paypal account to their bank account you're likely SOL.

-If I do a transaction by Paypal and the bike either never shows up or comes and it completely sucks what do I do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Have you thought about a used demo bike? For example, from Trestle Bike Park in Colorado (Winter Park). Lots of LBS around here are selling off summer demo bikes at steep discounts.

I don't have enough posts to insert a link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Its kind of funny. That Canfield Balance up above used to be mine. A super good guy named Dustin bought it off of me a bit back. It would fit the bill of what you want, though a bit heavy it rides well and will do anything. Bottlerocket is another good option for a bomb proof bike. I would not recommend the Yeti to be honest, hever really liked the AS-X. A Specialized SX trail is also a great all arounder.

Nov 2008
    unless this guy says yes to 1450 shipped to my door for an 08 Sunday team that is losted at 1675, I am starting to lean towards the Sunday.

biking is fun
    Hey man,

Local SLC guy as well. Are you set on a full DH bike? I have a few friends selling Transitoin bottlerockets pretty close to your price range. One is a medium and the other is a large I believe. One is even the new style BR (red). Just something to think about.

Also, to help you out with paypal matter. Make sure to pay with your credit card through paypal. Paypal will want you to have it withdrawn from your checking account but choose to have it taken from your credit card. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!! if you do it through your checking account and the people withdraw their money then you are screwed, Paypal will try to get it back but if there is no money for them to take then they tell you that your money is gone. If you pay with your credit card and the people withdraw your money then paypal is screwed, just do a charge back. You just file a claim with your credit card company and they will take the money back from paypal. I don't feel sorry for paypal one bit after how they screwed me in the past. Lost $425 dollars in a transaction gone bad. I even reported the guy the same day when he was still scamming other people and they said they had to wait 3 days to see if the guy responded or not. Anyway, long story short he withdrew the money and paypal said they wouldn't do anything for me.

Anyway, I could maybe help if you want to find a local bike. I live in Sandy and ride with a bunch of people who will probably be selling bikes soon. just PM me if you are interested.