Hydration pack- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hydration pack

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hydration pack

looking for this style pack but not that price...looking for somthing with helmet strap and knee/shin guard strap..+few tools a tube and a few beers..70oz-100oz

trying to spend under 85$

Amazon.com: Vaude Northshore 28 Liter Hydration Back Pack: Sports & Outdoors

GAME ON!
    do you need 28 liters?? what will you be using it for?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    of water no..but i could use the storage

Glad to Be Alive
    the Camelback blowfish is a really good pack...I use that on long days and park riding
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    the Camelback blowfish is a really good pack...I use that on long days and park riding
    can you strap a full face to the back?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by itstreky View Post
    yep
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry..... whole new line up.then the one I have...I think it was the Hog not mule but the new ones seem that you can't carry a helmet

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My Fox Oasis pack has the ability to carry those items. 2L capacity and plenty of cargo space.....a few outside pockets for your phone and keys too. Chainlove had them for $39 i believe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    My Fox Oasis pack has the ability to carry those items. 2L capacity and plenty of cargo space.....a few outside pockets for your phone and keys too. Chainlove had them for $39 i believe.
    I have the large fox oasis 3l and love mine...has tons of extra pockets etc...paid 60$ if you need something large go with it. if not then the small fox oasis will do. Held up really well so far. even took a few spills with it on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I use the hydrapak big sur. While it doesn't have all the straps for everything, I always carry bungies with me anyways so not a big deal. Super durable, holds like 2L of water I think, keys pocket, cell phone pocket and 3-4 pockets on the inside, semi water-resistant. Got mine like $59 on chainlove I think.

Perpetual Hack
    Dakine Nomad.
    Lotsa pockets
    3l / 100oz
    Can carry a FF and Pads
    Very tough.

Got mine on CL a couple years ago for <85.00$ no idea on price now...

Might be worth a look...

michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Dakine Nomad.
    Lotsa pockets
    3l / 100oz
    Can carry a FF and Pads
    Very tough.

Got mine on CL a couple years ago for <85.00$ no idea on price now...

Might be worth a look...

michael
    +1 Just picked one up last wk. Was carrying a military grade Camelbak, th Dakine Nomad pack is lighter & more condusive to carryin helmets, pads, etc....I guess it'll be somewhat more prone to wear & tear than my Camelbak, it's made of cordura. Tough as hell but heavy too, especially after it getz soaked in rain and /or mud.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 04-25-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I will give a plus one for the Fox Oasis Pack. Mine has held up well over the past couple of years. It uses a Hydrapack bladder and nozzle. The Hydrapack bladder system is really nice compared to Camelback IMO because they are super easy to clean.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just got a fox portage of amazon for 66 shipped. this was the 11 or 10, I can't remember. very good pack except the bladder is garbage, i'm going to be putting my camelback bladder in it.

the bladder is like drinking out of a straw with a hole in it, completely useless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check out the EVOC packs. I have a Dakine Nomad which is quite nice, as well as a hydrapak big sur which is great for something smaller/lighter. But for going out prepared, carrying armour, some spare clothes/layers the EVOC FR Trail is awesome.

The Nomad is listed as 18 or 20 liters and so is the FR trail but you can fit about twice as much stuff into the EVOC as you can in the Nomad.

All of the above packs are quite comfortable as well, no complaints. Just 3 different sizes/classes of packs.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by dberndt View Post
    Check out the EVOC packs. I have a Dakine Nomad which is quite nice, as well as a hydrapak big sur which is great for something smaller/lighter. But for going out prepared, carrying armour, some spare clothes/layers the EVOC FR Trail is awesome.

The Nomad is listed as 18 or 20 liters and so is the FR trail but you can fit about twice as much stuff into the EVOC as you can in the Nomad.

All of the above packs are quite comfortable as well, no complaints. Just 3 different sizes/classes of packs.

The EVOC FR packs are interesting. They have an integrated spine protector and are available in a wide variety of sizes and carrying options (versatile if you also want to use it to carry tools on trail maintenance days). If you like wild color combinations check these out:

FR TOUR // 30l - Protector Backpacks - Bike - EVOC - SPORTS

Currently I have 2 camelbacks (minimalist for quick bomber runs and a medium capacity one for day rides) Both are very stealth and I have no complaints. But I would consider the EVOC product in the near future
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The EVOC FR packs are interesting. They have an integrated spine protector and are available in a wide variety of sizes and carrying options (versatile if you also want to use it to carry tools on trail maintenance days). If you like wild color combinations check these out:

Have a friend with a couple of these in different colors (yes, he's a fashionista with disposable income). They're nice but a bit bulky and hot...and quite a bit over the <$85 the OP wanted to spend. I'll second the DaKine. I'm on my second one, the first had a plastic buckle break after 2 or 3 years. They're tough and easily carry a ff and armor. I ordered one of the Fox Oasis from Chainlove last week too. The bite valves all seem to have a much shorter life than the pack...they all leak eventually in my experience.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike View Post
    I just got a fox portage of amazon for 66 shipped. this was the 11 or 10, I can't remember. very good pack except the bladder is garbage, i'm going to be putting my camelback bladder in it.

the bladder is like drinking out of a straw with a hole in it, completely useless.
    I'm usin my Camelbak bladder in my Dakine Nomad pack. Hard for me to go away from what works.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Have a friend with a couple of these in different colors (yes, he's a fashionista with disposable income). They're nice but a bit bulky and hot...and quite a bit over the <$85 the OP wanted to spend. I'll second the DaKine. I'm on my second one, the first had a plastic buckle break after 2 or 3 years. They're tough and easily carry a ff and armor. I ordered one of the Fox Oasis from Chainlove last week too. The bite valves all seem to have a much shorter life than the pack...they all leak eventually in my experience.
    Thank you for sharing this info!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post

Currently I have 2 camelbacks (minimalist for quick bomber runs and a medium capacity one for day rides) Both are very stealth and I have no complaints. But I would consider the EVOC product in the near future
    Where can you get the EVOC packs stateside? I don't think there's a distributor here for some reason.

I recently got a Dakine Drafter to replace my Session. I like it a lot, but the bladder is garbage, and I'll also be replacing it with a 70 oz Camelback that I have in my Session. I don't need 100 oz of water anyhow.

I'd like to get one with an integrated spine protector like the EVOC, but the Dakine has a stiff plastic back which kinda works like that.

Yes, that's fonetic
    My friend got his through CRC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Definitely look for some CamelBak... They use the best quality materials... Indestructible bags...

May The Force Be With You
    check cambriabike.com ... they have some for under $80

Bike Hydration Packs Page:1 at CambriaBike.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker88 View Post
    Definitely look for some CamelBak... They use the best quality materials... Indestructible bags...
    The last CamelBak I got was horribly designed as far as pockets go. No pocket big enough for tools so they had to rattle around in the main compartment. I think DaKine packs are far better in that regard, and they're pretty bombproof as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    this is turning into a "which tire is the best" sort of thread..

mtbr member
    I have a Camelback Capo I use for all mountain riding. It can carry knee/shin guards and full face on it. $40 at Jenson.

Yes, that's fonetic
    this is turning into a "which tire is the best" sort of thread..
    Uhh, a little closer to a "which hydration pack is the best" sort of thread. So odd it went that way since you asked for advice on hydration packs...really, what did you expect?.

BTW, I did use CamelBaks elusively for years but the last one I got just wasn't too well thought out.
    Last edited by whoda*huck; 04-26-2012 at 11:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm trying one of these this year. So far I really like it. Fairly well thought out. Helmet holder plus you can strap pads on it. It's also expandable and has a rain cover.
    http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack...%20EXP%2012%20

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    for years i have used a dakine apex, it was a fantastic trail pack, would take a 3l bladder, 20l of storage space, will carry helmets, both xc and full face, and has pad straps on the bottom to,
    my brother had a dakine nomad for a few years then got a apex as he wanted a bigger pack with more storage space,
    i new have a evoc freeride, this is a fantastic pack, it has a seperate compartment for up to 3l bladder, built in spine protector 25l storage (they do a 30l one) front pocket with lots of little serate compartments, for tools pumps tubes ect, side pockets, helmet pouch on the front ( both full face and xc) and straps for pads on the bottom, the waist belt is very wide and protects the kidneys to, and the chest strap buckle has a built in whistle, and it comes with a rain cover thats stores away in the bottom of the pack,
    i got my evoc pack from fanatyk in whistler, but i think chainreaction sell them and they ship to the states,

Members who have read this thread: 0