HT Build Cost???- Mtbr.com
    Loves His Sunday

HT Build Cost???

Ok. I know this is a broad topic but I'm just looking for an estimate to see if I should go for this. If I buy a HT frame about how much would it cost to build it up? It would be SS also so ders aren't a concern. Could the parts alone (not including the frame) be had for $400 or less. Specifically if I purchase the Evil DOC $450 could I finish the build for around $400? I'm willing to buy some parts used and bargain hunt. Thanks for any help.
    SAYNDESYN on the Iron Horse Sunday,

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

soviet pride
    could be hard to do dependin on what fork u buy aswell as the quality of your parts...and may i ask as to why ur limited to 400$?

you also have to remmember in the long run it will cost money aswell due to stuff breakin because of wear and tear

i for one got a great deal on my bike because it was a closeout deal for about 700$ but it was basically all stock and as of now iv dropped well over 700$ just on upgrades and repairs...

but never the less, look around, see what u can find
    best of luck bro
    im all about midget drops

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrider489
    Ok. I know this is a broad topic but I'm just looking for an estimate to see if I should go for this. If I buy a HT frame about how much would it cost to build it up? It would be SS also so ders aren't a concern. Could the parts alone (not including the frame) be had for $400 or less. Specifically if I purchase the Evil DOC $450 could I finish the build for around $400? I'm willing to buy some parts used and bargain hunt. Thanks for any help.
    no reason why you should spend more $ on the frame then the rest of the bike combined. nto to mention the components will not be worthy of the frame. up the cost or get a steelhead or soul cycles and use the mone saved on the frame on better components
    ETBW
    Magura

Loves His Sunday
    Yah. I figured If I could find a used zocchi DJ on ebay and a relatively cheap wheelset I might be able to do it. I woudn't settle for crap liek XC components I woudl just have to look for used stuff in good condition. O and teh $400 dollar mark is my limit on parts because it has been hard to get my parents to agree on letting me spend this money on a HT and I have establlished the $850 dollar mark and they Okayed it but I would be hardpressed to get them to agree to any more. I have been looking at used complete bikes and they are just too much money for a build I don't like. So I figured If I could build a relatively strong HT and get the frame I want I'd go for it. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks though.

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

Loves His Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    no reason why you should spend more $ on the frame then the rest of the bike combined. nto to mention the components will not be worthy of the frame. up the cost or get a steelhead or soul cycles and use the mone saved on the frame on better components
    Nope definitely not getting a Soul Cycles or a Steelhead. I really dislike Azonics, and am not interested in Soul Cycles. If I do this I am getting the frame I want. I can change components as time goes on. I'll probably end up with a complete from LBS but I'm trying to feel out my options.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrider489
    wheels i am guessing would be $250
    fork (get something used *jumper*)some marz DJ -*$200
    handlebar/stem should be around $60
    cranks eBay is your friend. plus there are a lot of people selling hussefelts. and i heard that they are as stiff as holzfellers, just not as light. (+ bb) - $100
    Some shitty V brake you find in the back of your LBS - $FREE (set it up right and it'll work)...
    get tires off of your other bike
    seat/post/ don't really matter. if it's important go for it. otherwise find something temporary...
    grips. Lockons $20...

over $400, but it's worth it.if you can find used stuff it should be under what i said, and you might want to try borrowing stuff from a friend for a while

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Too bad you couldn't get your parents to let you go over that budget since I am selling this bike.
    Last edited by J_B; 10-18-2006 at 04:09 PM.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

err, 27.5+
    You may keep an eye on the classifieds and e-bay for a complete bike. I recently scored a complete cove ht for $400 with disc brakes, king hubs and headset, and a z1. You just gotta find the right person offloading a good bike at dirt cheap. Often times it is cheaper to get a complete bike and then sell off what you don't want/need. Just gotta have cash in hand when that deal rolls in.

Juanjo
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Too bad you couldn't get your parents to let you go over that budget since I am selling this bike.
    that's THE HT... HOT,SEXY,HOT...SEXY

why r u selling it ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    that's THE HT... HOT,SEXY,HOT...SEXY

why r u selling it ?
    I don't ride it as often as I thought I would....in other words, with work, wife, 10 week old baby boy, DH bike, trail bike and road bike, this thing sits in the garage. Maybe I am just being a whiner because I don't ride it much...I don't know. I know as soon as I sell it, I will regret it.

The funny thing is, if someone buys the frame and fork, I will just go by Kidwoo's place the next time I'm at Northstar and buy his C-Dale Chase frame and throw all the parts left over onto that bike! Man, am I stupid or what?
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

Juanjo
    I don't ride it as often as I thought I would....in other words, with work, wife, 10 week old baby boy, DH bike, trail bike and road bike, this thing sits in the garage. Maybe I am just being a whiner because I don't ride it much...I don't know. I know as soon as I sell it, I will regret it.

The funny thing is, if someone buys the frame and fork, I will just go by Kidwoo's place the next time I'm at Northstar and buy his C-Dale Chase frame and throw all the parts left over onto that bike! Man, am I stupid or what?
    yeah...

keep that biuty on ur garage for ur baby boy... that thing is gonna still rocking his world.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

Loves His Sunday
    Thanks Guys. I have tires, a BB, and grips already. So maybe this is doable. I just have to find the right stuff at the right price. J_B if you feel like it PM me with a price on that imp. Just out of curiosity.

mtbr member
    There is a really sweet Kona Chute for sale on ridemonkey.com for $500 complete - and it has a pretty nice build spec too.

Loves His Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    There is a really sweet Kona Chute for sale on ridemonkey.com for $500 complete - and it has a pretty nice build spec too.
    Yah I saw that but I am looking for something a little newer. Thanks though.

mtbr member

how much, my friend would be really interested in that. OMG the bike makes me cream my own pants. anyways my friend wanted to build up a bike but instead he is getting a P2 complete for 400 ish on ebay.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Dude good luck building a bike from the ground up for the $$$$ your talkin'. I thought I could build one for $1000 to $1200 and ended up spending $1500.00. And I got the frame and fork from Planet X for $450.00.
    That's gonna leave a mark !

mtbr member
    check you PM, and btw thanks for the spam...jkjkjk glad you brought that up