HSCV cartridge install- Mtbr.com
    Buckle Up

HSCV cartridge install

I recently purchased an HSCV cartridge for my Junior T but have run into difficulties with the install. I'm starting to think that I purchased the wrong part. For those of you who have done the HSCV install in a 32mm Junior T, is this what the HSCV cartridge looked like?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <><

pwn3rator
    don't they come with dual hsvc cartriges, or am i just a redneck...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Still on Training Wheels!
    Jr T's come with SSV
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

TNC
    noMAD man
    Looks like it to me, but it's hard to judge the dimensions over that internet pic...LOL! It has the right rebound adjuster with the screwdriver slot there at the top of the cartridge. You do realize your old top cap won't fit, right? Why is it that you feel it may be the wrong cart? If you measure the stroke of that damper shaft, it should be between 6.7 and 6.8 inches.

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Looks like it to me, but it's hard to judge the dimensions over that internet pic...LOL! It has the right rebound adjuster with the screwdriver slot there at the top of the cartridge. You do realize your old top cap won't fit, right? Why is it that you feel it may be the wrong cart? If you measure the stroke of that damper shaft, it should be between 6.7 and 6.8 inches.
    So that's why. I was wondering why the top cap and the top of the cartridge weren't matching up. What do I need?
    <><

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    So that's why. I was wondering why the top cap and the top of the cartridge weren't matching up. What do I need?
    To get your @ss in gear and get to Angelfire.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    To get your @ss in gear and get to Angelfire.
    Right, and if I don't get the HSCV cartridge installed in time, I will be riding my "wrist breaking fork" at the resort with the rockiest, roughest terrain in the country. I can't wait!
    <><

Buckle Up
    I'm gonna die!!! Someone help me!!! Can anyone recommend a good wrist wrap?
    <><

TNC
    noMAD man

Several model caps will fit.

I know one for an '03 Super T will fit for sure. I'm surprised Marz didn't send you the appropriate cap and hardware to complete the swap. You're going to need 2 or 3 other small pieces to complete the swap. Call Marz tech to get the rest of the needed parts. There's a spring preload collar, lock screw, and such that you still need there.

Uhhhhh...
    I know one for an '03 Super T will fit for sure. I'm surprised Marz didn't send you the appropriate cap and hardware to complete the swap. You're going to need 2 or 3 other small pieces to complete the swap. Call Marz tech to get the rest of the needed parts. There's a spring preload collar, lock screw, and such that you still need there.
    Too bad hes has about 2 days to do this.

TNC
    noMAD man

OOOh...that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Too bad hes has about 2 days to do this.
    Well, he'll still appreciate it when he gets it done later.

Buckle Up
    Ahh poop. Too bad I can't have the parts shipped out to the race! Now it looks like I will either have to put the fork back together and deal with it or use my spike free 6 inch slider on my downhill bike, my bottom bracket will probably be mega-low though. And headangle will be steep. 6/9 isn't a very good travel matchup either.

Problem is, I can't really remember how to put the SSV back together, I wasn't really paying attention when I was taking it out as I didn't think I would need to re-install it. You wanna be so kind as to tell me the order of everything on the SSV side? (if you remember how it goes of course) Argh...

Another question, what causes the HSCV cartridge to stay inside the stanchion? The C clip doesn't have anything to hold onto. If you understand what I'm saying.
    <><

TNC
    noMAD man

Guess what, I have a pic.

Ahh poop. Too bad I can't have the parts shipped out to the race! Now it looks like I will either have to put the fork back together and deal with it or use my spike free 6 inch slider on my downhill bike, my bottom bracket will probably be mega-low though. And headangle will be steep. 6/9 isn't a very good travel matchup either.

Problem is, I can't really remember how to put the SSV back together, I wasn't really paying attention when I was taking it out as I didn't think I would need to re-install it. You wanna be so kind as to tell me the order of everything on the SSV side? (if you remember how it goes of course) Argh...

Another question, what causes the HSCV cartridge to stay inside the stanchion? The C clip doesn't have anything to hold onto. If you understand what I'm saying.
    The C-Clip attaches to a groove in the top of the cartridge...that's all. Hmmm,...on the other hand I notice your cartridge has one of those nuts that is designed to tighten against the bottom of the top cap that you don't have. I have a couple of Z150 carts in a pair of 150 SL forks that are like that, but my dual crown models (Super T and Monster T) just use the C-Clip attached to the cart. Does your cart not have a small groove for the clip? Here's a pic of the top cap setup on my Monster which should be much like yours. The C-Clip is under that black spring preload collar. That collar comes off with a small lock screw.

Anyway, here's a pic of a Jr.T cart with everything in it the proper order on the damper shaft. Those loose parts go under the cap and to the springs.

Buckle Up
    The C-Clip attaches to a groove in the top of the cartridge...that's all. Hmmm,...on the other hand I notice your cartridge has one of those nuts that is designed to tighten against the bottom of the top cap that you don't have. I have a couple of Z150 carts in a pair of 150 SL forks that are like that, but my dual crown models (Super T and Monster T) just use the C-Clip attached to the cart. Does your cart not have a small groove for the clip? Here's a pic of the top cap setup on my Monster which should be much like yours. The C-Clip is under that black spring preload collar. That collar comes off with a small lock screw.

Anyway, here's a pic of a Jr.T cart with everything in it the proper order on the damper shaft. Those loose parts go under the cap and to the springs.
    Yea I understand the purpose of the small C-clip, underneath the preload knob. It's the larger one that I don't understand what it's for when not using the SSV rod.
    <><

Cynical Bystander

Spencer if you can't figure out the Jr.T I'm sure the Slider will be just fine, with that short headtube you could just raise the crowns up all the way.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

TNC
    noMAD man

OH...LOL! I gotcha.

Yea I understand the purpose of the small C-clip, underneath the preload knob. It's the larger one that I don't understand what it's for when not using the SSV rod.
    Well, you notice that clip in the pic is now part of the old parts pile with the rest of that SSV junk...hint, hint...you don't use it. The only thing holding your lowers on your bike is that little C-Clip in the cap. Now you know you're going to die...LOL! Actually I think that's why all the later stuff has those nuts that tighten directly to the bottom of the top cap...maybe.

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Spencer if you can't figure out the Jr.T I'm sure the Slider will be just fine, with that short headtube you could just raise the crowns up all the way.
    They already are all the way up. And my bb was at about 13.9in. when I had it on my BB7. Pretty low for a 9 inch travel bike, I've got my junior crowns all the way up and my bb is 14.25 right now.
    <><

Buckle Up
    Well, you notice that clip in the pic is now part of the old parts pile with the rest of that SSV junk...hint, hint...you don't use it. The only thing holding your lowers on your bike is that little C-Clip in the cap. Now you know you're going to die...LOL! Actually I think that's why all the later stuff has those nuts that tighten directly to the bottom of the top cap...maybe.
    Oh I see what you mean, so when I get the parts necessary for the top cap (surprised marzocchi didn't include them, haven't heard of anyone else asking about this, and I don't consider myself mechanically incompetent) the only places the cartridge is actually attaching to anything else is at the bottom of the lowers and the top cap? Good thing I sat there in the LBS for about 4 hours staring at those threads and the c-clip wondering why there was nowhere for them to go...
    Last edited by WheelieMan; 05-31-2005 at 09:48 PM.
    <><

Buckle Up
    I appreciate your help, but I have a couple more questions. Where do the black plastic tubes go in relation to the springs? Also, the manual mentions internal rebound adjust, I have looked over the SSV units but see nothing that looks like an adjustment. Thanks for the help!
    <><

mtbr member

mine looks just like it

I did mine about 2 yrs ago and it was fairly easy. no c clips whatsoever.
    first undo the tiny one on the knob on top then loosen the cap on the top. open it up take the springs out and the oil as well, I used one of those big a$$ seringes with hose adapter and just pull it out. you then loosen the bolt at the bottom of fork by the axle and "ta-ta". Just be careful when assembling back that your seals arent damaged or moved out of place.
    Don't forget to add oil.

Uhhhhh...
    They already are all the way up. And my bb was at about 13.9in. when I had it on my BB7. Pretty low for a 9 inch travel bike, I've got my junior crowns all the way up and my bb is 14.25 right now.
    13.9. Sounds perfect!

TNC
    noMAD man

Here ya go.

I appreciate your help, but I have a couple more questions. Where do the black plastic tubes go in relation to the springs? Also, the manual mentions internal rebound adjust, I have looked over the SSV units but see nothing that looks like an adjustment. Thanks for the help!
    Here's the order. The cart drops in the lower and attaches at the footnut. Make sure the large aluminum piece on the SSV cart has the tapered end pointed to the bottom, toward the footnut, so that the spring and its nylon retainer drop into the flat machined end of that large aluminum piece. Drop in one of the springs, then the spring washer that separates the springs, and then drop in the second spring (order not important). Now drop in the black plastic tube. Now put the flat washer in the pic on top of the plastic tube. Last, install the top cap and the cylindrical aluminum spacer.

The rebound adjuster is kinda hidden in the top end of the SSV cart. You use a long 8mm hex tool to turn the adjuster. If you bought the fork separately, it came with a long plastic 8mm hex tool to accomplish this. Whatever you use, it has to be long enough to reach down to the top of the SSV rod. Obviously you can compress the fork to get the shortest distance if needed to get your 8mm hex to reach it. Here's a pic of the tool in the SSV rod. Hope this helps, and good luck in New Mexico.