How's Vail this Year?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How's Vail this Year?

Tomorrow I leave to go out there for a week and I was wondering how the mountain has come along? Its been about 6 years since I last rode a DH bike there. Anything I should definitely be looking for, or must hit trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    Tomorrow I leave to go out there for a week and I was wondering how the mountain has come along? Its been about 6 years since I last rode a DH bike there. Anything I should definitely be looking for, or must hit trails?
    Drive by there everyday but never been for DH. Heck, you're 30 minutes down the road from Keystone. Have you ever been there?

mtbr member
    Never been to Keystone and I don't think I can make it down that far. I'm kind of squeezing a day of DH in by making the girls go shopping while I play

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Never been to Keystone and I don't think I can make it down that far. I'm kind of squeezing a day of DH in by making the girls go shopping while I play
    Well I've got friends who've been and it's all been positive feedback. Vail doesn't promote downhill like some of the other resorts but from what I've heard, it's a great place to ride.

Professional Troll
    Do they still have the old WC course to ride from back in like 2001?

Stand back
    It's been a few years since my last trip, but Vail is definitely worth the trip. All the KS lovers don't know what they're missing out on.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Instead of bringing my bike I decided to Rent a Yeti 303 RDH from one of the local shops, hoping I can find someone who knows how to get to Old Line #9 which I think is the WC course you mentioned.

Either way the views alone for the top of the mountain make it worth the time, even if the trails are just OK!!

bike rider
    That trail is on the trail map. You won't find many changes from your last visit but I always have fun there. Me, I'm riding Keystone today.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Vail is still super fun, at least as of last year. I haven't been up that way as of yet. Pretty much then only thing that has changed since your last visit is they made one of the poach trails legal. Actually the old line #9 and magic forest may be new since you visit also. Unfortunately, they point all their bike effort at Keystone, so the trails typically don't see as much maintenance. Last year they had a deal for like $25 for a ticket that included $20 coupon for lunch at the top, and it is good. In short, bring your bike, you'll have fun.
    Last edited by bustanutley; 07-01-2010 at 11:00 AM.

OMG!
    i rode vail last weekend, and it's pretty cool. you have to ride it with people who know it to have any fun though. fyi, i live in vail and i only bought the keystone pass

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    Vail is still super fun, at least as of last year. I haven't been up that way as of yet. Pretty much then only thing that has changed since your last visit is they made one of the poach trails legal. Actually the old line #9 and magic forest may be new since you visit also. Unfortunately, they point all their bike effort at Keystone, so the trails typically don't see as much maintenance. Last year they had a deal for like $25 for a ticket that included $20 coupon for lunch at the top, and it is good. In short, bring your bike, you'll have fun.
    Utley, I'm gonna be there one day this weekend. I'm hoping not to split my shin open this time! This year the tickets are $32 and you get a $15 food voucher to use at the restaurant at the top of the gondy.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull
    Utley, I'm gonna be there one day this weekend. I'm hoping not to split my shin open this time! This year the tickets are $32 and you get a $15 food voucher to use at the restaurant at the top of the gondy.
    Wow. That's a sick setup/deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

vail 2010

I rode there last weekend. It was only 13 bucks w/ my snowboard pass. I love riding there, even though Vail lacks the man-made features of SV and KStone. You can also have a good time on a 4x or trailbike at Vail.

Living the High Life
    Instead of bringing my bike I decided to Rent a Yeti 303 RDH from one of the local shops, hoping I can find someone who knows how to get to Old Line #9 which I think is the WC course you mentioned.
    You're thinking of 3 different trails actually.

1994 Worlds is still open and its a great trail, not very techy but hey it was 1994! 2001 WC course is very overgrown and its hard to even see anymore. Not rideable. Old 9 line is at the bottom of the Magic Forest Run, easy to find. Steep, techy and a lot of fun.

I think I'll be up there Sunday.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Glad to Be Alive
    Vail has
    some fun trails, but make it work and go to KeyStone....way better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Vail has
    some fun trails, but make it work and go to KeyStone....way better
    When was the last time you rode either of them?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    You're thinking of 3 different trails actually.

1994 Worlds is still open and its a great trail, not very techy but hey it was 1994! 2001 WC course is very overgrown and its hard to even see anymore. Not rideable. Old 9 line is at the bottom of the Magic Forest Run, easy to find. Steep, techy and a lot of fun.

I think I'll be up there Sunday.
    2001 is rideable but not at the beginning. But a couple trees fell and will be removed soon. 94 was closed last weekend but I believe there was some trail crew guys on it.
    Upper Old 9 was closed as well last weekend but hopefully will be open. I just poach it anyway. There are a couple more rogue trails that are still there but I aint tellin.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    2001 is rideable but not at the beginning. But a couple trees fell and will be removed soon. 94 was closed last weekend but I believe there was some trail crew guys on it.
    Upper Old 9 was closed as well last weekend but hopefully will be open. I just poach it anyway. There are a couple more rogue trails that are still there but I aint tellin.
    The real question is, why the HELL aren't you locals riding/maintaining the 2001 course?!?!?! That thing looked absolutely SICK to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    The real question is, why the HELL aren't you locals riding/maintaining the 2001 course?!?!?! That thing looked absolutely SICK to ride.
    I do maintain a little bit but not the upper part because the beginning is right under a lift and easily visible but you can ride it but it dumps back out onto the road as it did in the original course. You kind of have to go out of your way to get to the top part but the lower is very convenient. The actual beginning I believe was out on the ski run so the start is sort of gone anyway.

mtbr member
    It was pretty fun out there. I rode everything that was open plus the 01 course and a few of the rouge trails, the one trail that everyone called Radio Tower was awesome. I ride at highland all the time and it was a much different change of pace, the length of the runs was awesome but also very fatiguing on my hands. Might have been a different story if I had my bike so everything was setup just how I like it, but I can't complain the Yeti was a real nice ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    pmt, magic forest and old 9 are all fun,,did them a week ago..and as said above, it's 12$ with your epic pass.

Freetard.
    Is there any discount if you have Keystone pass?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Keystone is buy one bike haul at full price and the second is half price I believe with epic pass...

Members who have read this thread: 0