How's This?- Mtbr.com

Thread: How's This?

mtbr member

How's This?

So I've been looking around for a new bike and found a 2008 Kona Stinky Air for around $1000. I was wondering what anyone thinks about that bike, at least for the money.

Moose Member
    What's the spec list look like?

If its got decent parts, that ain't a shabby price, but if its a build the seller threw together with spare old parts, it won't be as good a deal.

Glad to Be Alive
    5 years...it better be in top condition....more like 650 to 800
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Ok, I'm glad this got at least a little attention. Between then and now, I also found a 2008 RM Slayer SXC70. I know that they both are relatively heavy, going on 5 years old, around $1000, and have all stock spec parts (no custom builds). I'm sure I could talk both of them down.

Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC

Kona Stinky-Air 08 Freeride/Downhill Bike - Pinkbike

Moose Member
    If youre going to look wtb slayers, look at a 2008-2009 slayer ss. I just picked on up, its super fun. Strong, its a tad heavy, but nimble, jumps well, handles downhills well, and can easily be found on Pinkbike for 1000. They are great little bikes.

Is get an ss over the sxc. But I don't know much about the sxc version.
    The Kona looks good. I'd pay about 800 for it, you could find something better for 1000, but it doesn't make it wrong to get the Kona. It's simple and strong. It will serve you well... It's about what you want. I can't tell you what the best bike for you is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    sounds like a good price

mtbr member
    Just some more information I suppose. I'm trying to get into gravity riding, but where I am and my immediate vicinity, I have to pedal to the top, and I'm trying to get something I can ride up and bomb down on. Weight is not as much an issue as durability or build quality (like bearings, materials, welds, etc...). Aiming to go primarily (eventually) to Highland.

Members who have read this thread: 0