Howler vs Preston transition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Howler vs Preston transition

I want a bike frame that has short travel, light, can do light freeride and dirt jumps. Ive been considering a howler but was shown a Preston and dont know anything about them. My budget ranges from like 600 - 800 buks so if u could tell me some advice or show some other bikes that u might think are good thatd be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not too many people are that willing to let go their prestons, so the used market is not much option, and the howler is brand new. I havnt heard about anyone DJ'n with their preston, and I havent actually ridden one, so Im not much use in that dept.

if you're talking just the frames. I like the preston better, although it is like 900 sumthin' while I think I saw the howler on konas website for 699.

You may also want to consider the cowan DS which is a bit more than the preston, but I think is a sweet lookin ride.
    Last edited by Zonk0u; 05-14-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    i think hes just looking for a frame
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

ride hard take risks
    Go for the Preston you wont be let down.

http://transitionbikes.com/PrestonFR.cfm

mtbr member
    dood i think you should get the howler, it looks cooler and it seems like it wouold be a better bike for you. it seems like a good bike for doing pretty much everything. not too soft for urban and djs but enough for dh and fr considering you downhilled and did preety big drops on your hardtail.
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    do the blitz erik

u should of made a new post about it

the versus blitz on adrenalinecycles.com is the best deal i think for you
    included rearshock.... metal rp and headset

...for I am a raindog too
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk0u

if you're talking just the frames. I like the preston better, although it is like 900 sumthin' while I think I saw the howler on konas website for 699. .

Just make sure you know what you're getting... I *think* the howler is frame only-- without a shock... You'd have to look into it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Preston is going to be much more versatile than the Howler. Think about it 4 or 5 inches of travel in the rear with the ability to handle a 6 inch travel fork up front. Pair it with an adjustable travel fork in the front and it'll adapt to the days riding preferance. Put it in the 4 inch rear position and it rides like a forgiving hardtail that loves to boost off of anything that begs to be launched off. Put it in 5 inch and it's plush on the rocky trails. Drop the fork down to 4 inches and it steepens the head angle making it great for DJ'n and climbing. Raise it up and you have freeride slack. Give the guys at Transition a call and you'll understand what great customer service is from owners who ride the snot out of their bikes and stand behind their product with a lifetime crash replacement.

With the Howler you get a solid bike but one that is purpose built for 4x racing and has a low bottom bracket and steeper head angle. Good if you're racing around on a smooth track but if your out freeriding or dropping it's just not gonna do as well. I've also got a 05' Kona Cowan and considered buying the DS or the Howler frame to be able to DJ and trail ride with a little, but not too much plush. The Cowan is built well but the Preston is a step up IMO.

Check out this thread for tons of info and reviews of the Preston.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78851
    Last edited by Fillmoe Slim; 05-14-2006 at 10:15 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    The Preston is going to be much more versatile than the Howler. Think about it 4 or 5 inches of travel in the rear with the ability to handle a 6 inch travel fork up front. Pair it with an adjustable travel fork in the front and it'll adapt to the days riding preferance. Put it in the 4 inch rear position and it rides like a forgiving hardtail that loves to boost off of anything that begs to be launched off. Put it in 5 inch and it's plush on the rocky trails. Drop the fork down to 4 inches and it steepens the head angle making it great for DJ'n and climbing. Raise it up and you have freeride slack. Give the guys at Transition a call and you'll understand what great customer service is from owners who ride the snot out of their bikes and stand behind their product with a lifetime crash replacement.

With the Howler you get a solid bike but one that is purpose built for 4x racing and has a low bottom bracket and steeper head angle. Good if you're racing around on a smooth track but if your out freeriding or dropping it's just not gonna do as well. I've also got a 05' Kona Cowan and considered buying the DS or the Howler frame to be able to DJ and trail ride with a little, but not too much plush. The Cowan is built well but the Preston is a step up IMO.

Check out this thread for tons of info and reviews of the Preston.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78851
    The man knows & rides his Preston.

Designated Bleeder

The Preston Rocks

I have owned my Preston for a little over a month now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I read all the reviews on MTBR, saw that the bike won Freeride Bike of the Year from Mountain Bike Magazine but all you have to do is ride it and you will fall in love.

Keep one other thing in mind, if you call Transition with a problem, you will likely get Kyle on the phone, the company's co-founder. He is a great guy and knows his way around bikes. A twenty minute conversation with him and I was ready to order a Transition. No way you get that kind of service from Kona.

That said, I have ridden Kona's before and they are good bikes, especially the ones that I have come out the last couple of years...

Still on Training Wheels!
    If you're looking for something a little cheaper, you could look into a used 04 Kona Coiler. The coiler also has 5 inches of travel, but can be found used in good shape for fairly cheap. If interested, PM me, I may know where you can get one cheap !
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Gear Whore
    I would go with the preston, I hear nothing but good stuff and just ask Kyle or Kevin (the guys that own Transition) and the will tell you it is VERY capable of DJ's. The owners ride what they sell and ride hard...check out some of the vids on their site...a lot of that is them.

What sold me on Transition was the service and they stand behind their stuff 100%. Drop Allen at www.dropNzone.com a email...he may be able to hook you up with a pretty good deal...super guy to boot...

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride a kona now,which I love but, my next ride will be a transition. in a year or so. they are on the cutting edge(bottle rocket) and a big time part of our local scene here in bellingham, nice guys to boot.

Members who have read this thread: 0