How tight does a FF helmet need to be?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

How tight does a FF helmet need to be?

I posted this in the protection forum too, but thought I might get more answers here:

I just bought a Giro Remedy sized M. The size is 21.75 inch to 23.25 and my head is 22. I put in thicker cheek pads because I have a narrow cheek/chin profile. Anyway the helmet feels nice and snug, but in the Giro fit guide it states to get everything tight and then try to move the helmet forward and back to see if you can get the top to move off the forehead and the mouth piece to cover your eyes. I can do this and am wondering if I should have a small? My concern is that the M is pretty snug and I don't want the small to be, well . . . too small. I hate being on the cusp of sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    when i got my 661 carbon evo the local bike shop guy told me to grab the mouth guard, and move the helmet from side to side, the helmet shouldnt move about on your head, it should move with your head, i had to try 3 sizes before i got the correct fit.
    obviously you dont want it to tight so it creates pressure points and gives you headache, you just want it to fit nice and snug.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not tight, snug!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If your pads make you bite your cheek when you open and close your mouth then it's too small, or you need to change on to thinner pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    With my D3, the small was painful, the large was WAY too loose. Medium fit perfectly. Make sure you take the time to get something that fits right.

mtbr member
    I have found that FF helmets feel a little snug in the shop which always makes me question the sizing. But once I get out and use it, snug in the shop equals just right on the trail. It also seems to settle in a bit and loosen up. I would get a little snug rather than a little loose.

mtbr member
    The padding will pack out a little bit, so a snug fit initially will likely loosen up a bit. Keep in mind, too, that different manufacturers have different fits, so a "medium" of one can feel very different than a "medium from another. Best to try a few options!

mtbr member
    For sizing motorcycle racing helmets, a quick test is to put helmet on, strap's and reach back to hold the back of the helmet at the neck - make absolutely sure you cannot pull it up your head.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Man you guys got me questioning my helmet purchase, I wear a Medium POC trabec and ordered a large/XL POC Cortex DH and now Im thinking i should have got the Medium/Large! Should be in today at LBS to try hope its snug and doesnt move loosely. Got the bigger one cause of reviews saying the were alittle small... but man idk gonna find out today or tommorrow!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by liberatorx View Post
    Man you guys got me questioning my helmet purchase, I wear a Medium POC trabec and ordered a large/XL POC Cortex DH and now Im thinking i should have got the Medium/Large! Should be in today at LBS to try hope its snug and doesnt move loosely. Got the bigger one cause of reviews saying the were alittle small... but man idk gonna find out today or tommorrow!
    Just grow out your hair real bushy like.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    like a motorcycle helmet. snug all round and should move your scalp when you try to move it about

Members who have read this thread: 0