How Often Do You Work Out???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How Often Do You Work Out???

is it true that working out every day is bad for you?
    Cause i just got a new bowflex to stay in shape when im off my bike

Mountain Biker
    I guess if you over workout it can be bad....but in no way is a good workout everyday bad

I ride my bike everyday...so I workout about 2-6 hours a day...
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

clyde in training
    working out everyday is in no way bad for you unless you keep isolating the same muscle groups day after day. Mix it up and it is really good for you. I weight train four days a week and run every day during, I get lazy on the weekend and I don't think is it a good idea to lift while intoxicated anyway. If you are training muscles that aren't really necessary for cycling at least you are bulking up so it wont hurt so bad during bails.

mtbr member
    I try do some sort of strenuous exercise everyday. I'll do a 12 mile XC ride (always fun on a 38lb FR bike) if I can't get a good run in. I'll lift some weights here and there if I feel like it.

You should be fine working out every day. You're body will tell you when it's time take a day or two off.

mtbr member
    Not really, I know that you can wear away the cartalige <sp between the joints. Your miniscus can eventually go bad and that would later on cause a lot of problems. It doesnt really effect you too much in a way that you have to stop completly but I guess it all depends on how bad the tissue is worn out/away.
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im 33 and i work out almost every day, 250 pushups and my ab routine which also puts some strength in the legs since there are various types of leg raises involved, i do some lights weights too just for strength, i dont do it for riding though, best way to workout for riding is to just ride, i workout to just keep my body tight and defined

For The Win
    I'm on my bike about 2-8 hours a day, well, now that it's summer, so lots of exercise for me
    Slow is cool too, right?

Glad to Be Alive
    work out different parts of body.......
    seperate days
    chest and lats
    bicep and back
    legs
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i hit the weights 3-4 times a week, and ride my bike every day..

it's easy to overtrain though, letting your muscles heal properly is just as important as shredding them up again during a good workout

moaaar shimz
    4 days a week weightlifting, rest riding time

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I work out Mon, Wed, and Friday, Keeping it simple keeps me from getting lazy.

Doing the same workout every day is bad for you and won't make you stronger unless you're on steroids... then by all means

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    150 push ups 4 days a week. around the same number of situps on same days. usually a long (10 or so miles during the week, 25+ on weekends) ride everyday, ranging from 1-6 or 7 hrs on the long end. thats the extent of my "working out." anything more and its not fun, gym wise.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
    i workout 2 hours everyday during the week, and then ride on the weekends, like other people have said, the key is to isolate different muscle groups on different days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy
    I work out Mon, Wed, and Friday, Keeping it simple keeps me from getting lazy.

Doing the same workout every day is bad for you and won't make you stronger unless you're on steroids... then by all means

You are talking about hitting the dreaded PLATEAU issue. I used to work out 3 days a week. A lot of serious lifting mainly for size and strength. I had this issue and tried a few other workouts even the Russian 10 by 10 which is basically 75% of max weight at ten sets of ten. It actually didn't work so I went back to the old routine.
    Healing is more important than most people think. That is a strong reason for Testosterone use because it heals fast. Weights every other day should be fine. I have not hit the gym in about 7 years and am now about 30 pounds lighter than I was at my heaviest, strongest. I am about to start a routine again.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    "C--k push-ups? Well, you really only need to do one..."
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

N* Bomber Crew
    You should take a day off after 2 or 3 days of really strenuous workouts. Like others said, mix it up. I do a mix of weight training, hockey, and of course biking. Not sure if you wanna include beer pong in the mix.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Not sure if you wanna include beer pong in the mix.
    I'd never heard of beer pong until yesturday... Funny.
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    different days
    chest and lats
    bicep and back
    legs
    your 'lats' is your back, you idiot...

fwiw- i go to the gym about 4 times a week. i try to go more often, but it's difficult...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    work out different parts of body.......
    seperate days
    chest and lats
    bicep and back
    legs
    what he said
    I try and work out everyday with one rest day. Pair muscle groups up. chest tris, back bis, legs abs, shoulders traps. its definitely not bad working out everyday, I feel so much better when I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Consider that your body will only be as strong as the stuff you put it through. If you need it to be powerful, agile and be able to deliver again and again (i.e. 'endurance') then you need to challenge it to be that way. A body and mind that perform every day have to perform every day, but you have to work up to it.

Overtraining is always a possibility so just ramp up the intensity slowly over time. Start at every 3 days, then move to every 2 and then every day. Proper nutrition and rest in between workouts is as important as the workout itself (caffeine, over-the-counter sports drinks, processed food and frozen pre-made food is not going to get you results). If you punish your body too much your performance will drop. It's a fine line between pushing yourself and knowing when to rest, especially if you tend to be lazy.

Your waking heartrate will tell you if you're still recovering. Here's how: take your heart rate every morning just as you wake up. Do this for a week and average it out to get a sense of what's normal for you. If you wake up after a workout or big ride and your heartrate is significantly higher than your baseline then you should take it easy a bit until you wake up with the baseline again. This is a very vague guide but can be used to determine what sort of workout to give yourself (i.e. strength vs power vs agility vs stability vs endurance vs hillclimbs vs intervals).

If you've had a few huge workouts or big consecutive rides, you can still train. Just go for an easy ride, or change it up and go for a hike or a swim or do some yoga or stability work. That way you are still training your body to deliver something every day.

Cycling isn't a very balanced activity so gym workouts that focus on non-cycling muscles can be very beneficial, especially in the event of a crash. Riding with flat pedals affects the muscle balance in your legs; abduction exercises. I find I slouch into a brutal foetal position riding so I do lots of postural upper back work to try and straighten out.

Crossfit-style HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts so far have brought me the most benefits to riding since they blend weightlifting with cardio. They train the body hard with lots of dynamic integrated movements that apply perfectly to riding. Regular bodybuilding-style workouts bulk you up a lot since they're designed to build mass and good visual. Crossfit builds balanced, lean, durable bodies that can survive lots of repeated abuse (i.e. great for riding). As a bonus they're very short (30-odd minutes) and primarily anaerobic. You're already getting aerobic training from riding; improving your anaerobic capacity means more available power under duress (i.e. powering up an extra steep loose section while climbing). As a side bonus training anaerobic capacity enhances aerobic capacity.

pwn3rator
    i run and swim on a daily basis. lift weights twice or three times a week. and i play water polo at least twice a week...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

EastBaySteez
    I only stop when my left hand gets tired
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

StraightOuttaCompton
    lift one day, do cardio the next. and repeat.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Shwing
    i lift 3-4 times a week and run round 4 miles the same amount
    Nothing Else Matters...

Members who have read this thread: 0