How much do pro's make- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

How much do pro's make

What's a well known factory ride worth these days for dh and cross country riders? I know the big dough is in sponsors, but what do you get paid to be a full time rider for one of the major bike makers? Not that I could ever be one...but I'm curious how well they do...

Glad to Be Alive
    i million dollars (in my dr evil accent)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Kill that $hit!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    i million dollars (in my dr evil accent)
    2!... 2 million dollars.. ah..ah...ahhhh (in my count dracula accent)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The May issue of Bike mentions that Cedric Gracia was making $250k at Cannondale.

rollin
    anywhere from free parts up to 150G's would be my guess.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Most pro's still have to have jobs to get by. Only the very top top top top of the pro circuit is going to make enough money riding to be able to live on it.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Most pro's still have to have jobs to get by. Only the very top top top top of the pro circuit is going to make enough money riding to be able to live on it.

i'd like to know what the average 'pro' rider yearly earnings is, i'll bet it's really low....when I see a $3000 or so world championship purse, i see riding/racing for the 'love of it' more than anything else..(but of course royalties come out of good results)

Pro Beginner Crash Expert
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    2!... 2 million dollars.. ah..ah...ahhhh (in my count dracula accent)
    LMAO!!!!!

Mott
    SBF-Racing

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    And those top top pros also have a lot of their expenses paid for, so even if the number on the check isn't extremely big, it's enough to where they can probably live fairly well off.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    i'd like to know what the average 'pro' rider yearly earnings is, i'll bet it's really low....when I see a $3000 or so world championship purse, i see riding/racing for the 'love of it' more than anything else..(but of course royalties come out of good results)
    On the MTB side it's lower than that for the average guy... many are only getting product at this point.

For the others it's just depends- but the glory days of good money (over 75K) are long gone for 99.5% of paid riders...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    And those top top pros also have a lot of their expenses paid for, so even if the number on the check isn't extremely big, it's enough to where they can probably live fairly well off.

i like go-ride's bounty effort...donated for last year..

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Oregon
    On the MTB side it's lower than that for the average guy... many are only getting product at this point.

For the others it's just depends- but the glory days of good money (over 75K) are long gone for 99.5% of paid riders...
    The really sad part is; James "Bubba" Stewart probably gets more money for making a main than a top-10 DH rider makes in a year. Both riders are putting their lives on the line, but only one is actually getting compensated for it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertg
    The May issue of Bike mentions that Cedric Gracia was making $250k at Cannondale.
    Keep in mind from a sponsor like C-Dale , Cedric was making that $250K straight to his account in Zurich , wile on the road he has an exspense account and pretty much doesnt have to pay for ANYTHING !
    Not to mention his Semans co sponsorship which in Eurpoe is worth $$$$$$$$

He also lives in a princeapality that doesnt have income tax for it's residents .
    So Cedric was making out pretty well !

Not to mention the high class euro poon he pulls from the clubs !!
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    if you are a top level pro that people have actually heard of (tinker juarez or somebody similar) then your probably making decent dough. $100,000+ a year and you probably get a lot of perks. free gear out the wazoo and such. i know somebody that rode bmx professionally, he got paid decent. his sponsors paid for his travel and and he got free fox gear. he could have made more $$$ but he would have had to travel and do a lot more events and promotional stuff.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    The really sad part is; James "Bubba" Stewart probably gets more money for making a main than a top-10 DH rider makes in a year. Both riders are putting their lives on the line, but only one is actually getting compensated for it...
    more spectators go to a MX race then bike race
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Salaries

This is what I have found to be the case:

XC pros (men) that can win World Cup races can hope for six figures, but there are only about 8 or 10 guys that can do this. The rest make a lot less. And I mean A LOT less. Your average Joe Pro who does all the NORBA races but rarely cracks the top three probably makes less than 20k. Lots of pros don't make a salary at all.

Probably pretty much the same for DH and freeride... win lots of big races or comps and you can make good money. Everybody else is making pretty much squat.

Average salary for U.S. professional Road Racers is around 15k. Again, lots of guys on pro road teams don't get paid at all.

The worst part is Women's salaries... about 20-30% of what men make.

My wife actually had to pass up a chance to race on a professional road team in 2005 because we couldn't afford it.

So if you want to be a pro, be prepared to pay. It's sad but true.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    id say more money is made by endorsements than actual purse money..

DH and slopestyle needs to make it to the X games.... even then there will only be a top 5% making good money off the sport.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    i would say that motocross is ALOT more dangerous then DH. not saying DH isn't safe, but motocross is a much more dangerous and is a much more physically demanding sport. i think racing motocross you are putting alot more on the line when racing. plus winning a motocross race sells alot better then winning a DH race because racing dirtbikes is much more spectator friendly!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    i would say that motocross is ALOT more dangerous then DH. not saying DH isn't safe, but motocross is a much more dangerous and is a much more physically demanding sport. i think racing motocross you are putting alot more on the line when racing. plus winning a motocross race sells alot better then winning a DH race because racing dirtbikes is much more spectator friendly!
    most spectators at bike races are family and friends period

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Videos? I'm not sure how much they make off vids, but its something.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

MTBR Mafia
    Ya what are they paid for being in a big time video?
    All Mountain was so 2005

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    i'd like to know what the average 'pro' rider yearly earnings is, i'll bet it's really low
    Yeah, it's pretty low. During one race, I was getting coached by a well known pro and I found out that while racing for Santa Cruz he was only making like $1,300 a month. Nada whole enchilada. I'm not going to name names, but trust me, you would definately know who he is.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    most spectators at bike races are family and friends period
    in the US, definitely. completely the opposite in Europe (check out the crowds in Earthed3).

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    Ya what are they paid for being in a big time video?
    95% of the time, they dont get paid. video's are the ultimate way to advertise yourself. if anything, it would be the other way around. also, the companys that sponsor the vids, make sure that thier own riders are in them, weather the rider gets paid for it or not. the true pay-off is again, the advertisment.

Members who have read this thread: 0