how much can the hardrock take?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

how much can the hardrock take?

i've just started getting into freeriding and have the basics down and feel comfortable doing easy drops with my '03 hardrock (stock). i feel that i could do a 4ft drop but am afraid that the bike wont take the hit. does anyone have any info on how big a hit the bike can take?

mtbr member
    The bike can easily take it but the fork probably can't. Neither can some of the other components without bending or breaking. You can probably do it if you are really smooth but you will still end up spending a ton a cash to buy parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    would my weight make much of a difference? i'm only about 155 lbs.

would you suggest not to attempt a larger drop until i get a new bike or should i just go for it and see what happens.

mtbr member
    I weigh 130 and I would do it. But I need a new fork anyway as mine is pretty crappy. If you want a good reason to buy new parts or you are really dumb go ahead and do it. If you don't have the cash to spend or aren't really stupid don't do it.
    Last edited by Racer9; 10-24-2004 at 01:19 PM. Reason: I can't seem to type today. Or any day for that matter!

Chatham NJ
    May 2004
    is the landing to tranny, or grass, or pavement or what?

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    i have(had) a hardrock...good frame, crap parts---they will not last, especialy to 4ft drops. put $$$ into a good fork/rims/brakes/mabey even new cranks and drivetain, and youll have yourself a bike that can take that kind of abuse. or, you can just buy a new bike. either way will cost you $$$. i just rode my hardrock until i had a catastrophic failure(taco rear rim, bent fork in, and ripped the derailer off + broke my collar bone + wrist). it was a fun bike while it lasted. now my bighit is my main "abuse the sh!t outa me" bike and the hardrock is my "like the uphill more then downhill xc" bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    eman - the drops would most likely be to grass/transition, but maybe to pavement if i did some light urban..

if i had the money right now i would certainly buy a new bike that could take a hit, but for now i have to make due with the hardrock. i think i'll take the advice of some others i've talked to and just ride it until it breaks. maybe if i do destroy it my parents will find it necessary to buy me a new bike

Yay
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_and_such
    eman - the drops would most likely be to grass/transition, but maybe to pavement if i did some light urban..

if i had the money right now i would certainly buy a new bike that could take a hit, but for now i have to make due with the hardrock. i think i'll take the advice of some others i've talked to and just ride it until it breaks. maybe if i do destroy it my parents will find it necessary to buy me a new bike
    Riding it till it breaks is a good idea! I started on a hardrock, within a month I broke the crankset and replaced it and the BB with a downhill setup. The new setup lasted about half a year hitting 4-footers and six stairs to flat, until the crown on the fork started to bend. After that its not worth the money upgrading on that bike.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!