How many dual suspension frames have adjustable chain stay length?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How many dual suspension frames have adjustable chain stay length?

Hey dudes,

Anyone know of frames that allow adjustable chain stays and are over 5 inches of travel?

Right now, my only choice seems to be the Knolly Delirium which has something like 16.4-17.2.

Killer bike, and I most likely will buy it, but it will be nice to see what else is available. Plus, the thing is bloody expensive! Something like $3000 Canadian.

It's really too bad transition doesn't have adjustable stays on their DS bikes.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Older Stab Primo's dropouts were adjustable to +/- .5" without affecting the geometry of the rest of the bike. I think that was '02-'04 and after that they made it with a fixed axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Huh, I have never heard of adjustable chainstay's. But I guees you could do that w/ adjustable dropouts. Other than that the only way I know is to hacksaw and weld the chainstay to your liking, but I wouldn't recomend that

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Huh, I have never heard of adjustable chainstay's. But I guees you could do that w/ adjustable dropouts. Other than that the only way I know is to hacksaw and weld the chainstay to your liking, but I wouldn't recomend that
    I think he meant dropouts that affect effective chainstay length.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Scream´s do

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Trek sessions have some sort of adjustment back there, but i think it effects seatstay too.

Meh.
    I thought the Session dropouts were only to let you run 24 or 26" wheels.

Kona Cowan DS, Kona A. And the ones already mentioned.

a tight kick sound
    Knolly delerium t is a good example of adjustable rear dropouts that will affect chainstay length.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    the specs don't say but I doubt a 4x frame has much more than 5 inches of travel as the OP was asking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Teague
    Trek sessions have some sort of adjustment back there, but i think it effects seatstay too.

Alls I know is the Session 10 has adjustable dropouts, but not lenghtwise. It has multiple vertical holes so you can adjust HA and BB height, but not chainstays. I'm not sure about the other sessions

Professional Troll
    gt it-1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    gt it-1
    Cool looking bike, but don't those things have horrible reliability records?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Intense...of course!

Quote Originally Posted by SpawningGround
    Hey dudes,

Anyone know of frames that allow adjustable chain stays and are over 5 inches of travel?

Right now, my only choice seems to be the Knolly Delirium which has something like 16.4-17.2.

Killer bike, and I most likely will buy it, but it will be nice to see what else is available. Plus, the thing is bloody expensive! Something like $3000 Canadian.

The 01 to 03 Intense Uzzi SLX. 6.5 in rear travel w/ adj droup out position, effectively changing your wheelbase.

Like the one I just sold today w/ a Fox Vanilla RC and King headset for $400

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    the specs don't say but I doubt a 4x frame has much more than 5 inches of travel as the OP was asking for.
    The small is the 4X frame. It use a 7.5 i2i shock. The medium is the freeride bike. It uses a 8.5 i2i shock. .

Sedona, Az USA
    brooklyn's do

front, middle & rear position dropouts.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    If you can find an old GT DHi they have adjustable wheelbase via a swappable axle "chip"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SpawningGround
    Hey dudes,

Spend $3000 and put a smile on your face. You can operate one of those stoke machines proper. What are you gunna do, spend $2200 and put a frown on your face in six months and think I wished I spent the extra $800. $3000 is expensive but look at life's other costs such as cars, holidays, and LCD panels.... In reality you can justify a Knolly as long as your capable pilot fit for such a machine. Go on, give Noel or one of his offsiders a call get the good oil. It's money well spent mate . What else is there ?~?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Spend $3000 and put a smile on your face. You can operate one of those stoke machines proper. What are you gunna do, spend $2200 and put a frown on your face in six months and think I wished I spent the extra $800. $3000 is expensive but look at life's other costs such as cars, holidays, and LCD panels.... In reality you can justify a Knolly as long as your capable pilot fit for such a machine. Go on, give Noel or one of his offsiders a call get the good oil. It's money well spent mate . What else is there ?~?
    Hey All!

All Mountain - thanks for the support!

SpawningGround:

We've actually lowered the CDN price of the frames: they were originally going to be 2995, but they are actually $150 CDN cheaper, and the MSRP is $2850 CDN (or $2495 USD). We've finally got some time to get back to updating the website so the new pricing should be up there shortly (along with build kit information as well).

Are you in the Vancouver area? If so, we can arrange for you to get a test ride on a Delirium T through one of our local dealers.

You can contact us here for more information:

http://www.knollybikes.com/about/contact.aspx

Cheers!

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Spend $3000 and put a smile on your face.
    Yup, the DT is awesome--I can't say enough good things about it. The chainstays are really more like 16.7"-17.2" though if you are running a front derailluer. I rub the tire against the derailluer if I go shorter (running a 2.35 Kujo). Next time I replace the rear tire, I am going to try a 2.25 tire to see how close I can get to the 16.4" chainstay before I rub. I'm looking forward to the lifts opening again so I can do back to back DH runs with different wheelbase settings to see how much of an impact it makes to lengthen things.

The other killer thing about the DT's drop outs is how beefy they are. They are easily as thick as the drop out was on my Bullit, but they are replaceable. Thick and replacable--the best of both worlds!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Hey All!

All Mountain - thanks for the support!

SpawningGround:

We've actually lowered the CDN price of the frames: they were originally going to be 2995, but they are actually $150 CDN cheaper, and the MSRP is $2850 CDN (or $2495 USD). We've finally got some time to get back to updating the website so the new pricing should be up there shortly (along with build kit information as well).

Are you in the Vancouver area? If so, we can arrange for you to get a test ride on a Delirium T through one of our local dealers.

You can contact us here for more information:

Cheers!

Noel
    No worries mate !~! Your machines are the real stoke.

And, thank-you for being so passionate about what we are all about - Mountain Bikes !~!

Cheers
    AM

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    The small is the 4X frame. It use a 7.5 i2i shock. The medium is the freeride bike. It uses a 8.5 i2i shock. .
    The small has 5 inches of travel. The medium has 7 inches of travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0