how to make riding spot on flat?- Mtbr.com
    Moose Member

how to make riding spot on flat?

So, my friend has 2 pretty fun jumps at his house, the first ones about 8 feet from lip to landing, and the second one is about 10-12 feet. Him and his friend (who is currently riding a bmx bike) have had the jumps for a while, and since i met them we have just made them smoother and easier to hit. you actually get a fair amount of height from them (nothing impressive though), but tonight, we decided to make them bigger. the problem is its dead flat, and there's nothing we can do about it. we need more speed. His friend has access to a tractor (back-co or whatever) and there's plenty of dirt.

Here's the current set up:

how to make riding spot on flat?-sim-jump-original.jpg

so we have to start pedaling before the dirt run in, pedal up it, then pump down it and pedal for speed to clear the first jump. And its reallllly hard to clear the second jump.

so heres the first idea, the kid with the tractor said his dad was already thinking of doing this:

how to make riding spot on flat?-sim-jump-beefed-run-.jpg

so maybe we wont have to pedal up it, we will just have to ride down and make it easier and more efficient to get more jumps in. but after talking we came up with this:

how to make riding spot on flat?-sim-jump-beefed-run-trailer.jpg

Blah blah blah its hella janky yes, but there is an old mobile home on their property that is old and unusable, so we could throw many wooden supports on the inside, lay a layer of plywood on top and make a drop out of it, which would be funner, and allow this:

how to make riding spot on flat?-sim-jump-beefed-run-trailer-beefed-jamps.jpg

Bigger jumps!

We don't have enough wood to build a starting platform, just a few extra 4x4s which should let us support the roof of the mobile home. Its pretty long too so we could pedal in and make the drops gap bigger, or build a small lip on the end and make it a step down.

what are your thoughts and opinions? Got any ideas? Feel free to play with these pictures in pain and see what you can come up with.

By the way, the pictures aren't drawn accurately, especially the jumps. Its just to show a basic idea of what we got.

you can see them in real life in this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/08WZlUXKSnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moose Member
    Trailers on wheels and stands about 15-18 feet tall. We arent looking for any Post Office sized jumps, just some ones bigger and easier to hit than our old ones.

Rollers aint a bad idea though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStartbright View Post
    Why don't you use the mountain from all of your videos? Then you wouldn't need to worry about getting too much speed
    HA, I was just going to say that.

Or beef up the trailer, make it a step down into a few rollers and then see what speed you get and build from there.

Glad to Be Alive
    put in some pump sections
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Now with More Wood
    I definitely want to see the trailer idea brought to life. Janky-jumps meets trailer-park-drop = WIN!

mtbr member
    On flat ground the distance between the two jumps also comes into play. To create a rhythm section, space the jumps 2x the gap measurement.
    In other words, if your first jump has an 8 ft gap then you want 16ft between the lip of the catcher of the first jump, and the second kickers lip.

Oh, and it's not a back-co, it's a backhoe.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStartbright View Post
    Why don't you use the mountain from all of your videos? Then you wouldn't need to worry about getting too much speed
    the dirt (sand) up there sucks, we have no reliable way of getting water for it, and people have started running over our jumps with trucks. and there no real spot to do it.

mtbr member
    Move your jumps so they line up with the back of the big white trailer at 0:19 and then find some way to get on top of it

mtbr member
    man...I'll never bad mouth the trails on the east coast again...
    you were'nt kidding when you said it was flat.

I 2nd the idea of using those mountains...but I'm sure they're probably like 100 miles away!

Nice vid by the way.

oh yeah...maybe it would be more fun on those jumps with a hardtail? That Karpi must suck the power out of you after all that pedaling.
    cool bike though...

Moose Member
    We've tried the small local mountain, but its just sand, then some more sand, some big rocks, then more sand. I brought a gallon jug of water (refilled with a garden hose) and tried to pack some of it sown, but it didnt work. Plus it takes ages to dig and build anything out there.

The mountains in the background are about a half hour drive, an are full of rocks. You seriously cant do anything due to the amount of rocks. Although we may try out a closer mountain (20 mins away) and see what they have, although its mostly a hiking place so i doubt we can build much there.

The benifits for building at my friends house:
    1. tractor
    2. mound and 2 jumps already there
    3. dirt
    4. dirt packs down well
    5. tons of odd stuff to build with

we were going to use the big white trailer at 0:19 but the top caved in from snow.

Im thinking we build a lip on the trailer, smooth landing, then build up the jumps, put some more rhythm and flow (rollers) between the jump.

...for I am a raindog too
    careful-- carry too much speed, and you will waaaayyyyy overshoot the first jump--- unless you want a lip that sits at roughly 70 degrees......
    If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company

Lightly salted
    I would dig down to make a radius/bowl from drop in to lip and from landing to lip to make more speed like how dirt jumps are built. That flat ground from the landing's to lip's is killing your speed. You can probably get enough dirt from digging down bowls that you wouldn't have to use the trailer. Plus you have a tractor to use! Like others said, a pump section for starting off is good idea. I have a small backyard pump track and it's crazy how much speed a well timed rythm section makes.

Try something like this. See how theres no flat ground between jumps. This should help your speed with out having to pedal between jumps. From your video your having to pedal to much to make speed. You'll probably have to adjust your jump spacing to get it to flow right.

Heres your original picture

Heres another picture thats posted here on the dirt jump forum on a thread about pump track plans. You should check it out, it's got some good info.

Last edited by fuenstock; 01-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I would dig down to make a radius/bowl from drop in to lip and from landing to lip to make more speed like how dirt jumps are built. That flat ground from the landing's to lip's is killing your speed. You can probably get enough dirt from digging down bowls that you wouldn't have to use the trailer. Plus you have a tractor to use!

Try something like this. See how theres no flat ground between jumps. This should help your speed with out having to pedal between jumps. From your video your having to pedal to much to make speed.

Heres your original picture
    +1 beat me to it, nice illustration.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

the test dummy
    how about pedal harder and bypass the mound of dirt?
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If it's flat and the land isn't great for digging and building you could always get ply and 2x4s and build run ins ramps and such. Improvise Moosey, you're on the right track.

Moose Member
    so tomorrow morning my friends dad should be getting the stuff to get the tractor up and working (needs some hydraulic fluid, and some fuel) and we should be good to go. I talked about our plans with the tractor driver (my friends friends dad) and he seemed really cool with it and was even throwing in some fun ideas.

we made jump #1 steeper today, and made the landing steeper and a bit more flowy. We may have to move the landing out tomorrow depending on our speed.

We made sure the trailer was okay to ride on. Its kinda creaky on top, so we got some 4x4s to throw in to support it, but its pretty strong as is.

we plan on moving the second jump a lot closer, and probably digging out in between the jumps to make a bowl (like in fuenstocks picture).

if we have enough time, we will try to make a third jump too.

should be some fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    this looks not so bad

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    thanks for the pictures.

Moose Member
    did a lot of tractorwork, got the trailer into place. got a smooth landing built, but it was too far out, we kept casing. Got the tractor back in there and moved it back a bit, too dark, hit it twice, MUCH Better. We will probably have to move it a smidge closer tomorrow, and make it a bit steeper. After that we will make the jumps better.

here's a small sneak peak:

how to make riding spot on flat?-img_0495.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Build up a dirt jumper, it'll be a whole lot easier.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    Build up a dirt jumper, it'll be a whole lot easier.
    I have one, well a slopestyle. Thats my friend. All he has is his Disco. I did just sell him my Porter though, and all he needs is a bottom bracket and its good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Take some pics when it's light out and post em'. Looks good so far.

C S
    mtbr member
    Dropping off a trailer... well done

Yes, that's fonetic
    Gotta agree Moose, you're overbiked hitting that stuff with a squishy dc forked bike. Look at all the dj vids, how many dh bikes do you see? Major props for the effort you're putting in though...

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Gotta agree Moose, you're overbiked hitting that stuff with a squishy dc forked bike. Look at all the dj vids, how many dh bikes do you see? Major props for the effort you're putting in though...
    you must have missed it, a few posts up I replied to the same comment, saying that I am using my slopestyle bike. Thats my friend, who currently only has a DH bike. He would be using a dirt jumper or slopestyle, but he cant because he doesnt have a working one. I sold him my Porter a few days back, and he's still waiting on the BB and chainguide. He thought that until they show up, he would at least ride his DH bike on this stuff, because its funner than not riding at all simply because he doesnt have a dj bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i like the idea of the mobile home drop in. it would be pretty funny too. you could build up another level above it for a higher drop in and make the landing even steeper. or just a really steep roll in. then make sure the dirt is really hard on the lips and flats so you are not sapping speed from soft dirt.

meow meow
    trailer drop ftw!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    trailer drop ftw!
    Agreed
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    I have the same problem, we have a nice bit of land out the back of our place but it is completely flat. Your lucky in a way as I only have a shovel and a few mates to make a jump, no fancy diggers as such . Looks like your doing a great job though, keep it up.
    I'm New to the Downhill World, but I'm gonna hit it hard