How long it takes to become really good?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

How long it takes to become really good?

Hello everyone,
    I know it is a tricky question and it depends on how much time you spend and how talented you are, but for average how long it takes? I'm serious in downhill for a year, I spend all my free time in the mountain with the bike, but still, I'm wondering in that age of 20, I started in 19, Will I become really good one day? What do you think, if I'm dedicated and responsible.

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    somewhere between 20 min and 20 years. Hang in there sport

Pro Crastinator
    took me about a week...

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    i was just kidding but seriously no offense, if its been a year and your not seeing any improvement you might not me cut out for DH/FR most of the people ive seen that are really good were really good when they got on the bike, there is exceptions but its really hard to just work your way up, either you got the balls to go for it and risk taking a spill or you don't...

for example me... i suck and i know it so if the jump is higher than 4 feet i say f**k that and ride around it

maybe you could try going to different parks and watching other people ride but its amazing how easy some people make it look like its nothing, i guess you gota go first and think about it later

mtbr member
    Having big balls seem to be essential for progressing quickly. Seriously.
    Getting out of your comfort zone and doing things that would make you wet your pants will help you push the bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It all depends man. A big thing is to ride with people that will motivate you to push yourself. I find that makes me progress a lot more. Start small/slow and try and go faster and bigger or do something better every day you go out. I'd say anywhere from 1 year to several years you should be a pretty solid rider. Just make sure you're progressing. If you're not pushing yourself it doesn't matter how quickly you learn cuz you won't get better without trying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well, thanks a lot for the replys, people tell me I'm really good and they think I lie when I tell them that I'm on the bike from a year(about DH), the idea is I was kinda fearless, or at least the strategy was not to think that helped me a lot, but then I broke my leg one day, and now I'm kinda *****. When the time comes, I always imaginate how I'll broke my leg in the same spot. So that slows me down a lot, when I see all the videos in youtube with those skilled guys I'm wondering will I catch them one day. That's why I've started that thread, because I feel like my progress is frozen, and can't reverse that feeling...

brake later, pedal sooner
    what is "really good?"

everyone has different goals. i think if you set goals and work towards them, you can accomplish them with effort and persistence.

will you ever be as good as the guys on you tube? maybe not. but you will never know unless you try. i'll tell you this much though. if those dudes broke a leg and came back, it wouldn't stop them. it's dedication which drives how "really good" you can get.

when you spend all your time out on the mountain, you have to make sure you are practicing good habits that will let you progress. you can spend all day on a mountain and not get better. practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect.

i'm 28 and i've been biking for 2 years now. i wish i started earlier so i could be "really good" already but it takes time. i'm a lot better now than when i started, and the great thing about two wheels is you never stop learning. the better i get, the higher goals i set. i ride for fun and strictly as a hobby, but i'm never satisfied with my riding. i always want to do something better. it's this cycle that can lead you to where you want to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    get a better rider with more then basic teaching skills to help you out on top of everything.

go to clinics and get a pro to give you ways to improve.. and actually DO what you are taught.

I know a bunch of people who go and get help, then complain they never get better, yet they dont do any of the exercises they are told to do..

So all about how dedicated you are. Also set realistic goals

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I started at 14 and I'm nearly 30, still working on being as good as I want to be. I think it all depends on your goals. I'll never be as good as Sam Hill on DH, nor Berrecloth at FR and I'm okay with that. I want to be that good and I'll push myself as long as I need to be. Once you get to the point that you think you are good, someone will come along and put you in your place. So, just keep pushing.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    I don't share this with others, but I think I'm the best at everything.

mtbr member
    Seriously though, the guy having the most fun is doing it right.

banned
    Oct 2011
    10,000 hours

(google the 10,000 hour rule)

Glad to Be Alive
    Take a class with ridebetter.com Gene hamilton will get you going instead of praxticing the same bad techniques over and over
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Professional Troll
    The single most important question to your question is "Where do you live"

If it's Kansas, then the answer is a decade. If the answer is Socal, PNW, Virgin, Moab, Whistler, Colorado, Portes du Soleil, then maybe 2 years.

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    Depends on your steroid in take. If you want to be really bad a$$, start juicing, otherwise, well you will only be as good as you are now.

bike rider
    Aaron Gwin says 3 years.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    OP,
    As mmmtnbkr1 said, 10 000 hours or 10 years of practice is a general rule in the sports world concerning becoming an expert. That does not means that you can not become "good" at the sport of your choice, biking, before then.
    As many mentioned, you need to work hard, be intrinsically motivated to go out and work on things that are not your strong points. Getting a coach/riding clinics to help you are probably the best thing you can do.
    Many riders are against being coached, for reasons that I do not comprehend, whereas they would have no problem being coached in any other sport that they have/would participate in.
    Good luck and keep working at it.

Eric

mtbr member
    ride it like you stole it.

some say it's all in the balls

l'd have to agree.

on the scale of 1 to 10, l have about 7.5 ball factor ---- l have plenty of skills but will sometimes l chicken out if the drop is huge or there's spikes and daggers l'll land on if l come up short.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All relative I guess...

I don't care about racing, winning or being the fastest out there. I tell people not to wait up because sometimes I will stop at an obstacle/feature/drop/jump and sit there and stare at it 10x before trying it. Sometimes I go fast, sometimes I just don't have the right feel and I slowpoke down.

Am I good? Compared to the 20yr veteran next to me, probably not. Compared to myself this time last year? Yup!

Am I having fun either way? You betcha!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Aaron Gwin says 3 years.
    Awesome!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Aaron Gwin says 3 years.
    That is not true. Read a bit about talent theory etc. He has extensive bmx and mx background + has trained from the start with top dh pros which really shifts your perspective on what can be done. A lot depends on training type, amount of training per day and cross training which often includes as silly things as thinking about what you trained.

The usuall theory is 3 years to get into the top 10-20% of riders/performers in any given field. It very much depends with who you train and how you train so get a group of fast friends and concentrate on progress. Try to ride a lot and remember the better shepe you are in the easier it will be to develop. Ive been in crappy shape for the last 2 seasons and my progress is close to stopping.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Pro Crastinator
    get the hell out of here with your logical explanations....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There are a ton of factors that go into being "fast" and getting there. I come from an mx and motorcycle road racing background and in both it took me longer to get to expert than my riding buddies BUT I did it with less injuries, lasted longer in the sports, and was better prepared to race at a higher level. The key factors being proper training, and pushing your limits with out being stupid. Everyone has their own amount of natural talent, and risk tolerance so it will be different for every one. I just started riding DH and am slow but am happy as long as I progress every ride, you have to finish before you can finish first.

Living the High Life
    This website needs a best of dumb arse questions summary thread.

Some of the titles are just winners.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    You have to commit.

Me and my ridding buddies always say this, you have to commit mentally if you're going to do it. We're mostly talking about hitting jumps and drops but it's true, commit 100% and you'll nail it (most of the time).

I'm not awesome in anyway with DH, but each time out I have improved a little and it was those moments where I mentally committed that it went great.

Now how long will it take me to be on a pro level...? Forever. I'm simply not as good but I have as much fun as they do and I love it as much as they do.

If you want to be pro, do it every day and you might have a chance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post

#1 What bike should I get?

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    to the OP... what works better for you negative reinforcement or positive reinforcement

either way you want it we are there for you buddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drivengsxr1000 View Post
    edit:
    what trike should i get
    #2 I just got my trike, how should I setup the suspension?

slap happy

we also need a "best of the dumb arse members" where you sir would be at the top of the list.
    imo don't ever knock a guy for asking a question, no matter how "dumb" YOU think it is. if you don't like the thread, don't post on it.

to the OP (and someone i think mentioned this) but check out riding clinics at your local/favorite DH resort. it may not give you "balls of steel" but it will get you on the right track practicing good habits instead of self taught bad habits.

short of that, ride with people who are better then you....this helps tons.
    two other things that have helped me immensely, is have 100% confidence in your bike. trust that it will get you over those rock gardens, drops and jumps.
    and if taking jumps and drops is intimidating you.....just do it. many a people don't realize (myself included until i fully commited) how easy and natural hucking off of something feels. once you start, you'll wonder why you didn't huck before. it'll all start to come together.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

Yes, that's fonetic

Some posters don't speak English as their first language.
    Some replies can make the respondent sound like a real dick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would like to revise my answer. Since we can all agree it depends on the size of your parts how quickly you progress you can refer to this equation:

"Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH." Or Randy has a slightly different version if you're old school.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
    we also need a "best of the dumb arse members" where you sir would be at the top of the list.
    imo don't ever knock a guy for asking a question, no matter how "dumb" YOU think it is. if you don't like the thread, don't post on it.
    I'm an as$ehole, not a dumbarse. While they can overlap they are mutually exclusive. I posted here because I've got some time to kill at work and wanted to piss some one off on The Internet. And you sir are butt hurt, so I have succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Some posters don't speak English as their first language.
    Some replies can make the respondent sound like a real dick.
    Lack of English as a first language is not the issue here. Translate meaning not words, and in this case the meaning, regardless of phrasing, of the question is dumb. "Really good" is subjective anyway so without clarification the answer is pointless.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Pro Crastinator
    ...don't ever knock a guy for asking a question, no matter how "dumb" YOU think it is...
    a dumb question is still a dumb question, regardless if i like the thread or not or care to post in it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Excuse my "English" it's true that it's not my first language. Thanks, @istandalone. Also thanks for all the reply. I will take serious all the recommends, about the clinics, there's none here ... don't ask where I live. The great news are there's a lot of mountains here. About the site ridebetter.com it doesn't work for me. Again thanks for all the reply, they were encourage.

slap happy
    I'm an as$ehole, not a dumbarse. While they can overlap they are mutually exclusive. I posted here because I've got some time to kill at work and wanted to piss some one off on The Internet. And you sir are butt hurt, so I have succeeded.

Lack of English as a first language is not the issue here. Translate meaning not words, and in this case the meaning, regardless of phrasing, of the question is dumb. "Really good" is subjective anyway so without clarification the answer is pointless.

lol. you didn't piss me off. you, on the other hand do seem butthurt yourself. trust me, use more lube next time, your anus will thank me.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

slap happy
    Quote Originally Posted by sarfios View Post
    Excuse my "English" it's true that it's not my first language. Thanks, @istandalone. Also thanks for all the reply. I will take serious all the recommends, about the clinics, there's none here ... don't ask where I live. The great news are there's a lot of mountains here. About the site ridebetter.com it doesn't work for me. Again thanks for all the reply, they were encourage.
    also check out amazon.com for some books, short of a one on one clinic that's the next best way to glean info.

Living the High Life
    lol. you didn't piss me off. you, on the other hand do seem butthurt yourself. trust me, use more lube next time, your anus will thank me.
    You're not pissed off? Damn, well I'm let down on that point. But I am glad you're on the Internet Is Fun band wagon.

My anus will thank you if you buy me breakfast.

injured reserve list
    Try it now
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    also check out amazon.com for some books, short of a one on one clinic that's the next best way to glean info.
    The Fluidride DVD is pretty good.
    Fluidride Fluidride: Like a Pro – DVD

And the Lee McCormack book, Mastering Mountain Bike Skills is pretty decent as far as books go.
    Lee Likes Bikes
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

moaaar shimz
    Bout tree fiddy

Perpetual Hack
    No idea....40+ years riding, and I'm still a hack.

michael

mtbr member
    The way I see it, I'm never going to be a pro, so I'm happy as long as I'm good enough to have fun and not get bored.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sarfios View Post
    About the site ridebetter.com it doesn't work for me.
    It is betterride.net
    I also recommend the Fluidride Like A Pro DVD as mentioned by others.

NOT Team Sanchez

Outliers?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmtnbkr1 View Post
    10,000 hours

(google the 10,000 hour rule)

Interesting concept that I think was derived by people with no talent No, but it doesn't necessarily explain why someone chooses a sport, or other endeavor; could it be they are somewhat innately inclined to do well in that area? Genotype environmental interaction, aka nature vs. nurture is still relevant methinks.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What really helps is to ride regurarly. Got a friend, started last seasons and he riders really good and I bet it is because he was on the bike 2-3 times a week this seasons riding with other guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's not "How long?" it's about "How much you put into it". You can go out and just ride everyday for years and never get better. You got to work on something when you go out, corners, stay loose, body position, looking ahead and etc. Toss in a just go out and ride once in awhile. Watch videos and analyze everything they are doing, body position, bike lean, lines they chose and etc. Analyze your riding, think about your body position and what your bike is doing. Also expect your tires to slide and get use to it. If you can't make it to the mountain I'm sure there is a yard or park nearby. You can pick trees or other objects to go around, practice turns. Practice anytime you can 10 min is better then none. One thing I like about riding is you can only get as much as you put into it.

slap happy
    You're not pissed off? Damn, well I'm let down on that point. But I am glad you're on the Internet Is Fun band wagon.

My anus will thank you if you buy me breakfast.
    lol, you're anus isn't thanking me now.
    oh and i never buy breakfast on a first date

mtbr member
    Its requires a balance between passion, skills/fitness, and responsibility. You have to love and GET JACKED out of your mind about it, or you will not progress in DH. Fact. Been doing this for 16 years and that's what I have concluded about DH racing/riding.
    It takes more than balls. People with just balls get hurt from inexperience or doing some stupid sh*t. Seen it too many times.
    Generation Gap Racing.
    Thanks 2012 sponsors! Hayes Bicycle Group, LEATT/Azonic, MAXXIS, GoPro, 661, ODI, Royal, Loeka,SPY

mtbr member
    Didn't read the rest of the posts but I'll just tell you my story, I didn't "get good" in a year, but a lot of my friends have. They ride well but they don't seem to have the discipline of fitness that comes with taking time.

I started riding at 13 I progressed slowly, XC -> AM till I was 17, mostly riding with my dad or alone. Went to college and progression shot up since I was riding with pros. I was stronger than most of them but had no skill or comfort at speed. It took about a year to get from experienced but unskilled to reasonably skilled and comfortable with racing.

The 1 year wonders also have strong growing pains. Many of my friends are much more skilled on a bike than I, meaning they can turn harder, manual longer, jump higher/further, bunny hop, but in race situations they never seem to do as well as me. I don't really know how to explain it.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wear good protection (gloves, helmet, etc) and ride outside of your comfort zone. That drop that is a little too big? Hit it!