How to lighten up my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New question here. How to lighten up my bike

hey i have a stock 07' bighit, and it is 43 pounds, i want to get it down to about 40 with some new parts.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fill your tubes with helium.

mtbr member
    Probably the cheapest most easy way to lighten a bike is with a tire change. Maybe look at new rubber if you have heavy tires.

StraightOuttaCompton
    get lighter bars and stem, and cranks, followed by a new seat
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    ti spring
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    ti spring
    SMT for the cost/weight save on ti spring you can get better weight save(but It could probably be worse for showing off).

Get a road casette, new chain plus what Dj and mofo said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Carbon Fiber stick-on chain stay protector? Replace DH tubes with standard tubes, and if possible, take a good look at your wheelset. Saving 2-3 lbs at the wheels will feel like 5-7 on the frame/components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wheelset first. Hope pro 2's laced to 721's or your favorite rim

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    look into the new x-fusion air shock. I saw one at Interbike on a Santa Cruz V10 and then they had one out for everyone to hold and the thing felt amazingly plush/firm, but it weighed about half the weight of a Fox rp23.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryamee
    look into the new x-fusion air shock. I saw one at Interbike on a Santa Cruz V10 and then they had one out for everyone to hold and the thing felt amazingly plush/firm, but it weighed about half the weight of a Fox rp23.
    Cough, bullshite, you telling me a downhill air shock weighs 100grams choke yeah right
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

thats not to steep is it?
    rubber is heavy. so tubeless with some lighter tires. get folding bead and just run alot of air pressure. and tubeless
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Cough, bullshite, you telling me a downhill air shock weighs 100grams choke yeah right
    I'm sorry did you go to Interbike and hold both of the shocks in your hands. No, I didn't think so. I did and I can tell you that it felt much lighter than an RP23 and that it felt better than even a DHX Air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here is the shock I am talking about it is brand new for this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Equal opportunity meanie
    Just remove the seat. And the pedals. And the chain. It will always be faster freecoasting no footed with the seatpost firmly lodged in the orifice of your choice. Just ask Shivering Bunghole.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    that thompson of his just manhandled him, almost as much as his friend Tyrone does on a regular basis. Poor guy was pounded into the headboard so hard it broke his wrist/hand

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    what do you guys think about the roco world cup air and dhx air, do you know which one is better

N* Bomber Crew
    Things you can do:

1. Ghetto Tubeless
    2. Cut Seatpost
    3. Buy a new, lighter seatpost.
    4. Buy lighter bars.
    5. Buy a lighter stem.
    6. Swap Chainguide for a LG1
    7. Buy a Ti Spring
    8. Buy lighter wheels

And my favorite: Buy a Gym Membership, do some weight training so that way 43 lbs will feel like nothing.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

trail fairy
    I'm sorry did you go to Interbike and hold both of the shocks in your hands. No, I didn't think so. I did and I can tell you that it felt much lighter than an RP23 and that it felt better than even a DHX Air.
    NO I didn't but even your pic below is revealing..

RP23

7.875 x 2.25 213g

1: either youre comparing against the wrong shock e.g not the rp23, the RP23 is an XC shock, and around 200grams give or take, its one if not the lighest shock on the market, maybe with the exception of DTs carbon XC race shock, RP23 largest i2i

2: The DHXa at best is an ok shock, highly overated, Ive had one my AM bike for over a year, and have had too DHXcs since theyre inception so I know them well and how to set them up so I would more likely believe your statement if comparing against this shock

3: Hand held comparison proves nothing

4: a piggyback shock is not gonna be lighter than a non PB shock, I see no fancy materials visually on this shock e.g carbon body etc

5 Its sounds like a promising option and more plaers pushing the big guys the better then they will step it up, so providing a url or something useful to back up your statement would have been helpful.

Im not trying to poo on your parade but just state accurate facts, Im not a Fox fan either, I prefer Marz Roco and CCDB over Fox by along way which I run on my DH and AM/FR bike.
    The DHXa will be replaced as soon as the Roco airs are available.

But trying to compare a DH air shock over an XC air shock and claiming its lighter is

I can only assume youre comparing the wrong shock and have your names wrong.
    Which if the case does not provide useful and helpful info, base it on some facts is al I'm saying.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Things you can do:

1. Ghetto Tubeless
    2. Cut Seatpost
    4. Buy lighter bars.
    5. Buy a lighter stem.
    7. Buy a Ti Spring
    8. Buy lighter wheels

And my favorite: Buy a Gym Membership, do some weight training so that way 43 lbs will feel like nothing.
    I like raptordudes thinking here, as long as ya not over investing in your rig, you might be better updating to something more capable.

Wheels are the biggest area to save weight, tire size tubes, 2.5 1200-1300 gram with XC tubes will be fine in mst situations unless a real rocky tire killing course, 2plys give tubes alot of protection though.

Seatpost combo, look at maybe SDGs I beam option very light and strong, bars stem.

I use an LG1 and taco very solid CG worht alook for sure easy to setup.

For cost of lighter wheels and Ti springs for the fork and shock you maybe running on a Big Hit you might as I said above want to look at updating he bike esspecialy if ya lightening this up for racing, some newer platform frames pedal way better and are lighter with better components, weight alone isn't always the only issue if ya racing setup and comps suitable to you are just as important, ya got to finish and stay upright to get a good result.

my 2c
    Happy trails

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    NO I didn't but even your pic below is revealing..

RP23

7.875 x 2.25 213g

1: either youre comparing against the wrong shock e.g not the rp23, the RP23 is an XC shock, and around 200grams give or take, its one if not the lighest shock on the market, maybe with the exception of DTs carbon XC race shock, RP23 largest i2i

2: The DHXa at best is an ok shock, highly overated, Ive had one my AM bike for over a year, and have had too DHXcs since theyre inception so I know them well and how to set them up so I would more likely believe your statement if comparing against this shock

3: Hand held comparison proves nothing

4: a piggyback shock is not gonna be lighter than a non PB shock, I see no fancy materials visually on this shock e.g carbon body etc

5 Its sounds like a promising option and more plaers pushing the big guys the better then they will step it up, so providing a url or something useful to back up your statement would have been helpful.

Im not trying to poo on your parade but just state accurate facts, Im not a Fox fan either, I prefer Marz Roco and CCDB over Fox by along way which I run on my DH and AM/FR bike.
    The DHXa will be replaced as soon as the Roco airs are available.

But trying to compare a DH air shock over an XC air shock and claiming its lighter is

I can only assume youre comparing the wrong shock and have your names wrong.
    Which if the case does not provide useful and helpful info, base it on some facts is al I'm saying.
    It is a DH Air shock. Look at even MTBR's video on X-fusion in the Interbike videos. They talk about the shock and how it is made for DH applications. I rode the one at the Dirt Demo and a hand held comparison, does tell you if something is lighter or comparable to something else. I do not have my acts wrong. I own my own shop and I have been in the industry for almost 15 years, so I know what I am talking about. I am not saying that for everyone, this is the way to go, but as far as the design and the feel, this is by far the lightest and best feeling air shock I have ever felt. Trust me, if you had felt this shock at the dirt demo, then you would agree with me. I do not have the exact weight in front of me, but the thing is as light if not lighter than any air shock on the market and it feels as good as a coil shock for DH applications and riding. Until you actually see and feel the shock, then stop telling me I do not know what I am talking about. Again all I can say is were you there? Because I was.

trail fairy
    It is a DH Air shock. Look at even MTBR's video on X-fusion in the Interbike videos. They talk about the shock and how it is made for DH applications. I rode the one at the Dirt Demo and a hand held comparison, does tell you if something is lighter or comparable to something else. I do not have my acts wrong. I own my own shop and I have been in the industry for almost 15 years, so I know what I am talking about. I am not saying that for everyone, this is the way to go, but as far as the design and the feel, this is by far the lightest and best feeling air shock I have ever felt. Trust me, if you had felt this shock at the dirt demo, then you would agree with me. I do not have the exact weight in front of me, but the thing is as light if not lighter than any air shock on the market and it feels as good as a coil shock for DH applications and riding. Until you actually see and feel the shock, then stop telling me I do not know what I am talking about. Again all I can say is were you there? Because I was.
    Hey ryamee never doubted it was a DH shock, all Im saying is I doubt it was lighter than an RP23, if it is then my bad and I will take it all back, still a DH shock 200 grams or less is that a good thing!
    Maybe it was pety of my bad, but you said it was half the weight of the RP23.

Even you having worked in the industry must think this is OTT.

You were there I was not so I will hold back from derailing the thread further.

I have no issue with what ya saying about its application and if it works for some great, no doubt air will be the future, Im still a coil fan myself, but no doubt will conform one day.

Happy trails

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Just remove the seat. And the pedals. And the chain. It will always be faster freecoasting no footed with the seatpost firmly lodged in the orifice of your choice. Just ask Shivering Bunghole.
    next time I don't say Hi

nice seeing you out there....did you get a rear flat and ride down??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

StraightOuttaCompton
    Do Not Get A Dhx Air Or I Will Kill You

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by shakenbakebaby
    hey i have a stock 07' bighit, and it is 43 pounds, i want to get it down to about 40 with some new parts.

thanks
    bighit fsr II or III???

maybe just list all the stock components and we can go from there...starting a new thread isn't a bad idea seeing as this one looks ruined
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Things you can do:

1. Ghetto Tubeless
    2. Cut Seatpost
    4. Buy lighter bars.
    5. Buy a lighter stem.
    7. Buy a Ti Spring
    8. Buy lighter wheels

good List I'd add lighter fork.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll_Jockey
    good List I'd add lighter fork.
    ok i think these lists are silly imo...i think it would be more appropriate to find out what he has on his bike (big hit fsr II or III??) and give him some suggestions from there...say if he has a certain cassette he should then look for a sram pg 990 (if lighter than his stock)...instead of just saying he should get a lighter cassette....
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

The Bad
    drill holes in your frame, rims, handle bars and cranks that should save you alot of weight

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    yea ll or lll
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i have the bighit lll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    Do Not Get A Dhx Air Or I Will Kill You
    Great advice! I bet you've never even ridden a DHXa.

Next time, instead of just bashing somthing, explain why you don't like it.

Calm Like a Bomb
    i am heading out for a ride so this is a quicky....but your shimano hg50 11-34 cassette weighs in at about 434g...switch that to something like sram pg 990 11-34 which is about 305g...

i'll look more when i get back
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

StraightOuttaCompton
    i was just saying not to get a DHX air, just joking around, sheez, pal, he is one of my friends and we ride a lot together

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    ok i think these lists are silly imo...i think it would be more appropriate to find out what he has on his bike (big hit fsr II or III??) and give him some suggestions from there...say if he has a certain cassette he should then look for a sram pg 990 (if lighter than his stock)...instead of just saying he should get a lighter cassette....
    Well, these things add up in terms of saving weight, and it isn't that expensive. Ghetto Tubeless is the price of one Quart of stans and Two BMX tubes to save like 2 lbs. New Bars, $50 bucks or so. New Stem, another $50. Seatpost, the SDG I Beam is $40. Cassette, this Sram I bought was only $25 bucks.

Each individual thing adds up in weight savings, and obviously price too, but I still don't think its that expensive.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Great advice! I bet you've never even ridden a DHXa.

Next time, instead of just bashing somthing, explain why you don't like it.
    no mid stroke support... runs through travel too fast... packs...

try the ISX6 Evolver and you will see what a real airshock is...

Calm Like a Bomb
    Well, these things add up in terms of saving weight, and it isn't that expensive. Ghetto Tubeless is the price of one Quart of stans and Two BMX tubes to save like 2 lbs. New Bars, $50 bucks or so. New Stem, another $50. Seatpost, the SDG I Beam is $40. Cassette, this Sram I bought was only $25 bucks.

Each individual thing adds up in weight savings, and obviously price too, but I still don't think its that expensive.

that's not what i meant by my post....meant that it is silly to say get a lighter stem...of course a lighter stem would lighten up his bike....duh...instead say get a thomson whatever stem.....or another example of a light stem he can look at getting.....u can't just say get a lighter wheelset, lighter stem, lighter seatpost, lighter etc....give some examples of a lighte product
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    can anybody please recommend a good, light, non directmount downhill stem?

Bottlerockin'
    Sunline V-One, Thomson X4 (1.5 stem), Truvativ Holzfeller are all good choices

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    do you think you could run the thomson X4 with the 1 1/8 stem? It doesnt look like a downhill stem but im not sure cause the discription said dhers and fr'rs could use it in confidence.

Bottlerockin'
    Not sure if they make the Thomson Stem in 1 1/8, but from what I hear they are not only the lightest but a very strong stem, that is quite DH/FR capable

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yea they do make a 50mm and 1 1/8 and it is really light but it is 90 dollars
    I was on pricepoint and they have a elite dh so that might be the dh stem they make

StraightOuttaCompton
    yessir, your bighit at 40 lbs, that is sick

Shop *****
    Manitou ISX6 Evolver or X-Fusion H3 would be good rear shock choices.
    66SL or Totem Air would be a good way to shave weight
    Best way would be to do some kind of tubeless, whether it be ghetto or real, it would save you a lot of weight. Losing a lot of rotational weight makes the bike move a lot easier, vs losing a lot of weight elsewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    any bars you recommend i was thinking the truvativ team or the easton ea70 monkey bar or the sunline v-one os bar?

Bottlerockin'
    I'm going with the Syncros Bulk 7075 Bars. Lightest non-carbon bars I could find, and extremely strong.
    Heres a link: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=485

Unfortunately they're expensive. Another great option to consider is the Answer Protaper bar. Found here : http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...6&category=374

Honestly heard nothing but great things about the Protaper. Both are good options

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    can anybody please recommend a good, light, non directmount downhill stem?
    a super short thomson stem
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    funny you mention the protaper i was just looking at it on beyond bikes and they have them with a 1 inch rise so i am really considering that, but i cant seem to find a stem, do you thik 200g is a good weight for a stem? thanx

Bottlerockin'
    200g is very reasonable. In fact, there are few that are lighter than that which could hold up to DH/FR abuse, not saying weight has a direct coralation to strength, but obviously a carbon stem wouldn't be as strong as a steel one.

Bike Ninja |||
    any bars you recommend i was thinking the truvativ team or the easton ea70 monkey bar or the sunline v-one os bar?
    Sunline V1 OS 0.75" rise... best bar period, and pretty light!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Members who have read this thread: 0