How to Install a Master Cylinder- Mtbr.com
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr

How to Install a Master Cylinder

how do you unistall a broken master cylinder, and install a new master cylinder into a hayes mags brakes
    thanks

Can't get right...
    start w/ the hose end nut. Take that off. Thread off the larger nut thats up against the lever body next(still on the end of lever w/ hose). Now u have to at least take the reach adjustment screw all the way out so the lever flops completely out.U might have to take the whole lever off using that crazy special tool that pushes the pin out(unless u already have the screw/sleeve set that does away w/ needing special tool. Then the innards will come out. Hope this helps. w/o pictures its tuff to explain.write back if u get stuck in the middle or something. By the way the innards are about 40-45 bux and a new complete lever is about 75 if u look hard.....

Forgot to mention:carefull w/ rubber bladder that surrounds master cylinder. Not sure if its part of a new master cylinder kit. It rips easy
    Last edited by dannymonky; 10-01-2005 at 12:03 PM.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

mtbr member
    should i just do the 15 bucks for installation?

( im on my friends username)

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit816
    should i just do the 15 bucks for installation?

( im on my friends username)
    It wouldnt be a bad idea, if you are friends with the guy at the shop you can go in there and do it with him, like I do.... they never charge me (but I also bought my bike from them, dont know about that for you)
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    start w/ the hose end nut. Take that off. Thread off the larger nut thats up against the lever body next(still on the end of lever w/ hose). Now u have to at least take the reach adjustment screw all the way out so the lever flops completely out.U might have to take the whole lever off using that crazy special tool that pushes the pin out(unless u already have the screw/sleeve set that does away w/ needing special tool. Then the innards will come out. Hope this helps. w/o pictures its tuff to explain.write back if u get stuck in the middle or something. By the way the innards are about 40-45 bux and a new complete lever is about 75 if u look hard.....

Forgot to mention:carefull w/ rubber bladder that surrounds master cylinder. Not sure if its part of a new master cylinder kit. It rips easy
    Yeah, what he said. Might want to check the Hayes site as well. It's real easy. Just did it a few weeks ago myself with no problems.

Back in the day the replacement cartride kit came unassembled and you had to build it yourself. I was surprised when I got mine recently and it was all built up and ready to go.

1-Remove hose and hose nut.
    2-Back out lever reach adjusment all the way and remove lever with press or unbolt it if it the newer pivot.
    3-Remove jam nut (on the hose end up against the body)
    4-Pull out cartridge
    5-Save paper washer from hose end of cartridge
    6-clean inside housing body with alcohol, dry
    7-Use assembly grease/lube/sealer supplied in new cartridge kit, put it all over the bladder and it's ends where it will seal inside the housing body
    8-Put paper washer on new cartridge hose end
    9-Slide new cartridge into body, it's got a keyed flatspot on it so it only goes in one way
    10-put jam nut back on and tighten to 50 inch pounds
    11-Install everything else, make sure you use a new compression bushing when re-installing the hose
    12-Ride

Hope I didnt't miss anything, I'm trying to go by memory here.
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    ehh, sounds easy but if there were pics i would prob do it
    for my first time i will just watch the dude who will do it for me
    thanks for your time guys

Members who have read this thread: 0