How high can you bunnyhop?- Mtbr.com

Poll: How high can you bunnyhop?

mtbr member
    A garbage can on its side..not sure how many how many inches that is?? Its on my urban hardtail.

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004

How high can you bunnyhop?

I am asking this just out of curiosity. How high can you bunnyhop? Clipless or flat pedals? Bmx, Hardtail or full suspension?

I was riding my bmx bike urban today and came upon a big ledge. My previous highest ledge was about 16 inches high, but my friend convinced me to try this 25" high ledge. Well, I made it on my second try and needless to say I am very happy!

If you think this is stupid, then keep your negative comments to yourself!
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

pwn3rator
    9 feet...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    Sick...
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    My best is a little over 2 feet, but I've notice I can hop on to things that are higher with speed, and when i'm in o sh!t mode Thinking i'm about to crash into something..

On a hardtail, with 26" rear wheel, higher with a 24" rear wheel, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by haromtnbiker
    I am asking this just out of curiosity. How high can you bunnyhop? Clipless or flat pedals? Bmx, Hardtail or full suspension?

I was riding my bmx bike urban today and came upon a big ledge. My previous highest ledge was about 16 inches high, but my friend convinced me to try this 25" high ledge. Well, I made it on my second try and needless to say I am very happy!

If you think this is stupid, then keep your negative comments to yourself!
    Last edited by jherich; 01-16-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

mtbr member
    u forgot 1-2 ft in the poll.
    BAMFT Riders

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    i have done a few picnic tables on my urban ht and about 18 inches on my dirtbag
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I can't bunny hop. I can't figure out how to get the rear wheel up. All the tutorials don't work for me...
    my bike is a $250 "department store" full suspension bike... seriously....

mtbr member

10 ish

ryan leach is crazy good i can get about 10 in on my tass with no clips

lurker no more
    44 inches! Oh wait...that's Ryan Leech. Me? A whopping 8 inches. Just started learning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can only hop about a foot on my chameleon. If I try hard to do everything right I can hop higher. On the trail I can consistently hop 8" logs now, which is about perfect for my area as there's lots of smallish logs across the trails.

rollin
    i bunny hop way higher with flats than with clipless. with clipless i tend to "cheat", where as with flats, i use proper bunny hop form, resulting in a higher hop.

Schmeow Productions
    i can hop like 2 feet... then there's the "ohshit mode" where i'll try to get over anything so i don't eat **** that bad....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i can only get about 6'' on my FS, but if there is an object i have to bunny hop over i can get about 1'-1'1/2''. its weard. but on my moms XC HT i can get 2'. and i use flats

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I dont usually bunnyhop with a tape measure, so I dont relaly know.

I can hop high enough, wich gets me up and over most logs I come accross.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I can't bunnyhop worth a crap with my SPDs, maybe 12-18 inches. But I can easily do 30+ inches with my hardtail and platforms. I haven't figured out why yet. I have a BMX and trials background, been bunnyhopping for over two decades

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    From basically a standstill on 36lb FS bike I can get it about 6~10" off the ground (including my fat 220lb butt). With some speed on the trail probably a couple more inches if there is something to clear i.e. log(s) or on the street (high curb). Obstacles any bigger than that & I need a lip & more speed to clear it.

Really trying to get a HT built for 'around town' riding...would like to see how much I can get a HT off the ground.

Meh.
    I ride flats on all my bikes. On a BMX, I can get up onto something between 2 and 3 feet tall, but under 3. On a hardtail, I can go about 20 inches, maybe a little more. On my squishie, I'd be [email protected] lucky to hop more than a foot.

SpitFire Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by nViATi
    I can't bunny hop. I can't figure out how to get the rear wheel up. All the tutorials don't work for me...
    ditto...

-PB

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroBoy
    ditto...

-PB
    to learn.. just try to pull up on the bars as high as you can while leaning back (almost into a manual) then try to throw yourself over the bars while keeping your feet on the pedals.

then you get the general motion so start refining it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What happend with the most important Numbers....
    From One to two feet High...!?!?!

At least important for me since more than two feet is almost impossible with a 9 inches of travel M-Pire, my skill level and my fat butt and less than one foot high is just to easy and low.
    Last edited by patineto; 01-17-2006 at 09:40 AM.

SpitFire Pilot
    to learn.. just try to pull up on the bars as high as you can while leaning back (almost into a manual) then try to throw yourself over the bars while keeping your feet on the pedals.

then you get the general motion so start refining it.
    I'll try that the next time I've got the bike out.

-PB

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i could get 3 ft or so on my 20" back in the day.. at most 20" on my hardtail,, now the full squisher maybe a 1 ft if that.

mtbr member
    To get the back end up, point your toes down slightly, and push back and up your feet against the pedals as you jump. Once I learned to point my toes down a bit, it all clicked for me.

I can hop about 12-16 inches on my FS with flats, about the same on the HT with clipless when I had it. I too find hopping strangely easier with flats than clipless.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I use flats and my bike has the worst geometry for anything (it's pretty much a road bike with 2.1" tires). I can consistently manage about 12"-18". On a BMX bike I used to be able to hop garbage cans (standing up). I don't get hung up on too much out on the trail.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    i have only had a DH rig weighing 43 lbs, with platform pedals. with this setup i can get a good 2ft. Im gessin i could get a lot higher with clips or a dirt/street bike.

Riding with...
    Quote Originally Posted by PblcNme
    i have only had a DH rig weighing 43 lbs, with platform pedals. with this setup i can get a good 2ft. Im gessin i could get a lot higher with clips or a dirt/street bike.
    you must have ur spring setup tight as hell. 2 feet on a downhill bike? do u have likee 3 inches of travel?
    anyways, i can bunny hop about 3 feet high. heres a video of me doing it..maybe someone can use it to learn? http://media.putfile.com/Urban-Biking
    right after i drop that ledge, i bunny hop up it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    About 36" on the hardtail and 28-30" on the Norco Six; both with flats. Haven't tried on a BMX in a while but would imagine it would be closer to 40".
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Portland, OR
    it kinda depends. like just getting up on stuff trials style, I experemented with the highest lege in town ( around 27" ) but I was getting up on it no problem. but just bunnyhopping on flat, I only get up about 24"
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    In my youth I could hop Picnic tables and Those long bicycle racks with no prob. Have not ridden anything except full sus. for awhile. I can hop my DH bike into the bed of a truck but not sure other than that.

the target bike basher
    To the moon and back my friend. To the moon and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    you must have ur spring setup tight as hell. 2 feet on a downhill bike? do u have likee 3 inches of travel?
    anyways, i can bunny hop about 3 feet high. heres a video of me doing it..maybe someone can use it to learn? http://media.putfile.com/Urban-Biking
    right after i drop that ledge, i bunny hop up it.
    Not exactly, it was a gemini 3000 with a super t in size large. i just muscled it off the ground. it's all in the hips, it's all in the hips.

monster member
    Yeah, what happened to 1-2 feet?! Since you didn't have that option, I selected up to 12" which I can get on a full rigid bike (no front or back suspension.) Haven't tried much on the hard tail since putting front suspension on.

I can get about 16" or so on the full suspension. Of course, keep in mind my girlfriend says I exaggerate when I talk about inches of length!

mtbr member
    i love bunny hopping haha. its always been something i constantly practice. i can get about 2-3ft. high now, still getting higher hopefully. i practice stacking boxs on top of each other outside mi casa

Pro Crastinator
    ______________________________________ <----- this high......

dirt rules
    40 inches on my cruiser, real close to that on my STP.
    http://huckit.net/files/40inches.wmv <------3MB wmv

jonny carson isn't dead
    you guys all suck i can get like 2-3ft. off the ground on my 45lb. 8in. travel beast

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    not at all with flats. i'm thinking it has something to do with the flat bars and a 110mm stem. i really need a dedicated ME bike.

Disco-Superfly
    33" on a 40LB hardtail with 7inches
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

not really a noob
    i can do around a foot and a half (18 inches) on a good day on my gemini
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    33" on a 40LB hardtail with 7inches
    holy ****... whitey got hops!

hahahahahha, i made my self laugh!

Disco-Superfly
    holy ****... whitey got hops!

hahahahahha, i made my self laugh!
    me too...
    yeah one day my bud was like I bet you couldnt get on that picnic table... and I was like probly not, but I will try and I did it.... turned out it was approx. 7 inches higher than my front tire... so yeah about 33" +/-
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroBoy
    ditto...

-PB
    I learned with http://www.bmxbasics.org/new/bmx0703.html and it taught me. It sounds like I had the same problem as you guys did. Now I can get around a foot when I try hard, but I'm aiming for more.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    me too...
    yeah one day my bud was like I bet you couldnt get on that picnic table... and I was like probly not, but I will try and I did it.... turned out it was approx. 7 inches higher than my front tire... so yeah about 33" +/-

Usually, those don't turn out very well...

hehe.

My highest was either hopping over a 2 ft bench or a planter that was taller than my rim....

dirt rules
    came up short on a picnic table once... my front wheel hit hard enough, i landed on the table with my chest, and my bike flew all the way over me and the table!

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    An amazing 4 inches
    "I push bike up and ride it down"

Members who have read this thread: 0