how does cs length affect handling?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

how does cs length affect handling?

sorry if this is a stupid question...how does chainstay lenght affect bike handling?

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-spandex
    sorry if this is a stupid question...how does chainstay lenght affect bike handling?

Anything longer than 19" and the bike actually won't turn, you can only ride in straight lines and have to trials hop to do turns.

Nah, just screwin wit ya (I'm injured and can't do much but sit around so I'll be on here giving people all kinds of hell for the next week or two). Shorter chainstays typically make the front of the bike easier to pull up (easier to manual, carving some sorts of turns, etc). The downside is that as you shorten a wheelbase the bike becomes less smooth at speed, etc. This is of course very surface type stuff as the factors that make a bike's geometry 'good for one thing, bad for another' all act together.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    Anything longer than 19" and the bike actually won't turn, you can only ride in straight lines and have to trials hop to do turns.

Nah, just screwin wit ya (I'm injured and can't do much but sit around so I'll be on here giving people all kinds of hell for the next week or two). Shorter chainstays typically make the front of the bike easier to pull up (easier to manual, carving some sorts of turns, etc). The downside is that as you shorten a wheelbase the bike becomes less smooth at speed, etc. This is of course very surface type stuff as the factors that make a bike's geometry 'good for one thing, bad for another' all act together.
    that all makes sense.
    If you had too long of a chainstay it would take longer ( going wider) to make the same turn as if you had a shorter chainstay. But with a longer cs it would roll over bumbs easier and smoother, but would be (as said) harder to pull up. Longer and shorter both have advantages.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member

so, can you "balance out" a shorter chainstay with a longer top tube?

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-spandex
    so, can you "balance out" a shorter chainstay with a longer top tube?

That's really more than I know about. I imagine you 'could' balance it out with a longer top tube, as that would increase the wheelbase but then that would put the stem and bars way forward and cause you to lean way over them. Maybe good for XC but not something I'd want. Anyone with more bike geometry knowledge than me want to field these questions?

mtbr member
    That's really more than I know about. I imagine you 'could' balance it out with a longer top tube, as that would increase the wheelbase but then that would put the stem and bars way forward and cause you to lean way over them. Maybe good for XC but not something I'd want. Anyone with more bike geometry knowledge than me want to field these questions?
    im not talking like HUGE adjustments here...just enough so you can feel the handling change...
    so i know the "cockpit" of a bike with longer cs and short tt feels different than a bike with longer tt and short cs but can you make the responsiveness the same if the wheel base is the same?