How do you train in the off season?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

How do you train in the off season?

Right now its pretty snowy outside my house so I can't get in much riding so what are some good ways to keep in biking shape? Does anyone lift weights or anything like that? If so what kind of lifts do you do? Any other suggests would be apreciated.

thanks

Jan 2004
    Do what I did, check your local used magazine, Super shopper where I live and get your self a used exercise bike. I did and I love it. Really keeps your legs in shape during the off season. I do it while I am watching TV. Another thing is I usually run home from school. I get a huge workout because of the poorly groomed sidewalks. Lift weights too for your upper body.

There's no app for this.

just try to

stay active. I run when I can and weather permits; I do light weights for upper body, and I ski weekends when I'm not riding. But in winter, I still find it tough.

There's the gym, skating (hockey) maybe find a group of buds and do a team thing? XC skiing will keep you in top form?

You didn't say what you're training for. but good luck, I just get fatter in winter, which bugs he// out of me.

Jim

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    Right now its pretty snowy outside my house so I can't get in much riding so what are some good ways to keep in biking shape? Does anyone lift weights or anything like that? If so what kind of lifts do you do? Any other suggests would be apreciated.

thanks
    I don't know where you are, but I'm on the east coast and we're getting more snow tonight! I've been frustrated too, not being able to ride too much. So, I've been at the gym on the stationary bike and lifting, running a lot too. Oh yeah, watching DVD's to stay mentally prepared. Kranked 5 is my fav so far.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    KEEP RIDIN...we just got 8 more inches of snow here in maine. your best bet is to go to your nearest network of snowmobile trails. they are suprisingly well packed. you cant expect to go out and have a blast jumping off sh*t but its not so bad, its more time in the saddle that your friends wont have come spring time. just keep ridin, i usually draw the lawn when it drops below zero degrees and i wont ride then, but anything above zero is fine. try to make your rides as early as possible (obviously not like 5 in the morning but ya know the normal time us teenagers wake up ) because when she gets dark out it gets some damn cold out. just always dress warm, try not to put on to much cloths before you get out of the house, you'll sweat..and thats not good. if you usually ride clipless pedals take em off and grab a pair sneakers than you can wear a couple of socks under. always blow the water back into the bladder after you take a drink from you camelback. just go out and try to make the best of it, i have had plenty of fun this winter just ridin my bike on snowmobile trails. its a good time. hope that helps..see ya

-sparky

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Come riding anyway....

A few years ago you always came out, rain, shine or snow.

There's no app for this.

take off eh?

I was thinking there was a time a few years back I never missed a Thursday night ride in winter. Regardless of snow, sleet hail rain, yada yada. But lately it's been easy to miss them and veg out.

But now with a lighter bike and new Jet lamp/battery, maybe.............

Jim

gentle like

personally i like the break ...

... from biking. having said that, i spin the roadie on my rollers a couple times a week just to work on balance - and it's better than eating chips while i watch stuff. just bought the alien quadrilogy. hours and hours of entertainment.

love the weights too - i'd do legs as well as arms, though, during off-season. i can run to my gym in most weather as well, which is also nice (although i've got some shin splinting goin' on right now - might hurt my dream of trying a marathon this year).

but my absolute fave new discovery is rowing (on a proper IRG machine, that is. none of this hydraulic stuff, thanks). when you do it properly, it involves a good leg kick out, and strengthens your back and shoulders and tris to boot.

and then some x-country skiing and boarding (not x-country) on weekends. am i obsessed? sure - with eating, that is. and this is the only way i can afford to do it (and i still need to lose some chunk!) do some of everything - it keeps it interesting, and doesn't over-fatigue any one part of your body.