How do I know what year an Azonic Saber is?03 or 04?- Mtbr.com
    bpuodt

How do I know what year an Azonic Saber is?03 or 04?

Got a used Saber. How do I know if its an 03 or an 04 model? Large frame. Also, I think the bike came with a 750 lb spring, is this too much for a 185 lb guy?

bpuodt
    gettin lonely in here...

anyone?

bike dork extraordinaire

Get lighter spring

I don't know how to distinguish the year model, but my 04 came with a 750 lbs spring and that was way too heavy for my 185 lbs. I sent it to romic in exchange for a 650 lbs spring, which is still a bit stiff, but in the 6" setting it works well. For 5" you'd have to go even lighter.

mtbr member
    Just ask it. It will hold up it one, two or maybe three fingers. Then count the fingers.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by Inconsiderate Dan
    Just ask it. It will hold up it one, two or maybe three fingers. Then count the fingers.
    you're high on drugs

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    you're high on drugs
    In case you never found out, the giveaway is the cut in the seat tube. If the slit is in front its 03, back is 04. Everything else isn't really visually noticeable.

mtbr member

So, what year is mine?

Ok, I just got one of the closeout Saber's from Wheel World. It's supposed to be a 2004 but it has the seat tube slit in the front. At first I was pissed that they slipped me an '03 but now I'm not so sure. I have scrutinized every pic posted of a Saber and have found a couple of other diferences. It seems like the brace btwn the seat/top tubes where the main rocker pivot attaches is solid on 03's and machined out on 04's. Can anybody verify this? Also, my frame has a saber tooth tiger head on the Azonic sticker on the down tube. I've only seen this on one other Saber and I attached that pic. I really need some help determining what year my frame is, cause I'm gunna send it back if it isn't an '04.

P.S. Long time lurker, first time poster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by willysurf
    Ok, I just got one of the closeout Saber's from Wheel World. It's supposed to be a 2004 but it has the seat tube slit in the front. At first I was pissed that they slipped me an '03 but now I'm not so sure. I have scrutinized every pic posted of a Saber and have found a couple of other diferences. It seems like the brace btwn the seat/top tubes where the main rocker pivot attaches is solid on 03's and machined out on 04's. Can anybody verify this? Also, my frame has a saber tooth tiger head on the Azonic sticker on the down tube. I've only seen this on one other Saber and I attached that pic. I really need some help determining what year my frame is, cause I'm gunna send it back if it isn't an '04.

It's an 04. The sticker has the Tiger head on it for 04.
    I can also tell because your BB chain stay area is thicker than the 03 models.

Don't worry, like I did. It's all good.

BTW, freakin nice bike!

Just roll it......
    Also, my frame has a saber tooth tiger head on the Azonic sticker on the down tube. I've only seen this on one other Saber and I attached that pic. I really need some help determining what year my frame is, cause I'm gunna send it back if it isn't an '04.

Willy,

I don't own a Saber, but the biggest differences are A. the chainstays are thicker on the '04's, but this would be hard to determine unless you had another Saber to compare it against. I'm not sure about the "seat tube slit" thing mentioned above, but you should PM Juice. He's got an '03 Saber and a couple of our buddies have '04's so he can probably tell you the differences.

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. This doesn't help you, but the '03 Sabers didn't come in any colors - just polished. The '04's came in flat black and I think another color or two as well.

mtbr member

Thanks for the replies!

I'm pretty sure it's an '04 but I want to be positive as the '03's had some problems. Even though the frame was cheap (relatively) it is still a lot of cash for me. I PM'd Juice and 14tripleD (that's his bike in the pic) so hopefully they will have some good input. If anyone else can shed some light, please chime in.

always learning
    I'm pretty sure it's an '04 but I want to be positive as the '03's had some problems. Even though the frame was cheap (relatively) it is still a lot of cash for me. I PM'd Juice and 14tripleD (that's his bike in the pic) so hopefully they will have some good input. If anyone else can shed some light, please chime in.
    Call Azonic and give them the serial number, they'll tell you for sure.

bpuodt
    Dude, I WILL SAY IT ONE MORE TIME!!!!

YOU HAVE AN 04!!!! There's also the clue that the 03 17 inch sabers didn't have the extra gusset on the top tube, your's does.

Get over it and ride the damn thing already!

It came in a packaged box sealed by the factory. I will bet $10000000000000.00 that your box says 04 Saber on it.

mtbr member

Relax!!!

Relax, man...you obviously haven't read my posts clearly and you are jumping to conclusions. Here's the facts:

That is not a picture of my bike, I just posted it so people could see what the Azonic sticker looked like. I have a 19" not 17" so the gusset is a moot point. The bike came in an Azonic box with '04 written on it with a magic marker. The box had previously been opened and was taped back up. The frame and shock were wrapped in newspaper dated October 2005.

Based upon the above circumstances and the info that tgreathead posted about the location of the seat tube slit, I think I am justified in my concern. If you don't agree than I guess you can piss off.

bpuodt
    Relax, man...you obviously haven't read my posts clearly and you are jumping to conclusions. Here's the facts:

That is not a picture of my bike, I just posted it so people could see what the Azonic sticker looked like. I have a 19" not 17" so the gusset is a moot point. The bike came in an Azonic box with '04 written on it with a magic marker. The box had previously been opened and was taped back up. The frame and shock were wrapped in newspaper dated October 2005.

Based upon the above circumstances and the info that tgreathead posted about the location of the seat tube slit, I think I am justified in my concern. If you don't agree than I guess you can piss off.
    You asked, I told. Mine has the slit up front too. Big freakin woop. You have an 04.
    Do you need a certificate of official 04 saber indentification?
    Wait I know, they took a 03 frame, changed the stickers, welded a new rocker mount and seat tube on there, added some metal to the chain stay, just so they could save a buck and send you an 03 instead of an 04.

I would be pissed if I were you, send it back.

Hell what would a person with over 400 posts know anyway...

this is 03
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 10-09-2005 at 10:50 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Ok
    welcome to the board
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    You asked, I told. Mine has the slit up front too. Big freakin woop. You have an 04.
    Do you need a certificate of official 04 saber indentification?
    Wait I know, they took a 03 frame, changed the stickers, welded a new rocker mount and seat tube on there, added some metal to the chain stay, just so they could save a buck and send you an 03 instead of an 04.

I would be pissed if I were you, send it back.

Hell what would a person with over 400 posts know anyway...

this is 03

OMG, over 400 posts!!!! You obviously don't know too much. I can't believe you are giving me sh1t for worrying about the year of my new frame when you started the freaking thread with the same freaking question. What is up your ass?