How do Angle Sets work?- Mtbr.com
    Crazed Country Rebel

How do Angle Sets work?

I am considering getting a new front triangle made for my Foes FXR, primarily to get a longer top tube, but at the same time get a 1.5" head tube.

This will allow me to run an angle set and slacken the bike out a bit.

how do these work?

Will my current 1 1/8" Fox 36 work with these?

Who are the main manufacturers?

Any considerations I should be aware of?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I am considering getting a new front triangle made for my Foes FXR, primarily to get a longer top tube, but at the same time get a 1.5" head tube.

how do these work?

Alright, so imagine your 1.5" head tube, now imagine your 1.125" steer tube. Just like a asian trying to put it in a hooker, you can imagine that putting that steer tube in that head tube will be like shoving a hot dog down a hallway. So you have all that extra room in there. Now imagine with that extra room that you could just tilt the steer tube of your fork, and it is no longer running parallel to the head tube. If the steer tube and head tube were parallel, there would be a 0* difference in angle. If you tilt it in the steer tube, say to 1.5*, then filled in the space (with a angleset headset) around the steer tube so that it stays in place, then you have slackened the head angle by 1.5* relative to its previous head tube angle. So instead of your head tube and steer tube looking like this I I I I, it looks like this I \ \ I. Got it? Main manufacturers are Works, K9 industries, and now Cane Creek. Cane Creek is a 1 size fits all and easier install, but due to varying heat tube lengths you may end up with something different by a few fraction of degrees from what they say you will get, like you will have 1.4* or 1.6* when they advertise 1.5* (I dont know by what margin they can be off though). K9 is custom for the specific head tube length, but you have to be a little bit more precise. I'm not sure about Works. Yes your fox fork will work. No these wont work in a tapered headtube, only 1.5". Consider that you may want to ride your bike for a while before you throw in a angleset just to make sure you want to go spending the money on it, but if you do that make sure to leave enough extra steer tube on (dont cut it too much), or if its already cut down make sure that you have enough extra length before you go buying an angleset. I think I covered it all, I'm gonna go grab another beer.

Stay thirsty my friends
    It will be cheaper to buy another complete bicycle with the features you want out of the box.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Magic. Cane Creek has a patent on it.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    It will be cheaper to buy another complete bicycle with the features you want out of the box.
    A new bike is cheaper than a new headset?

Wow.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus
    Alright, so imagine your 1.5" head tube, now imagine your 1.125" steer tube. Just like a asian trying to put it in a hooker, you can imagine that putting that steer tube in that head tube will be like shoving a hot dog down a hallway. So you have all that extra room in there. Now imagine with that extra room that you could just tilt the steer tube of your fork, and it is no longer running parallel to the head tube. If the steer tube and head tube were parallel, there would be a 0* difference in angle. If you tilt it in the steer tube, say to 1.5*, then filled in the space (with a angleset headset) around the steer tube so that it stays in place, then you have slackened the head angle by 1.5* relative to its previous head tube angle. So instead of your head tube and steer tube looking like this I I I I, it looks like this I \ \ I. Got it? Main manufacturers are Works, K9 industries, and now Cane Creek. Cane Creek is a 1 size fits all and easier install, but due to varying heat tube lengths you may end up with something different by a few fraction of degrees from what they say you will get, like you will have 1.4* or 1.6* when they advertise 1.5* (I dont know by what margin they can be off though). K9 is custom for the specific head tube length, but you have to be a little bit more precise. I'm not sure about Works. Yes your fox fork will work. No these wont work in a tapered headtube, only 1.5". Consider that you may want to ride your bike for a while before you throw in a angleset just to make sure you want to go spending the money on it, but if you do that make sure to leave enough extra steer tube on (dont cut it too much), or if its already cut down make sure that you have enough extra length before you go buying an angleset. I think I covered it all, I'm gonna go grab another beer.
    Thanks for your help! I will start looking around.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    A new bike is cheaper than a new headset?

Wow.

you mentioned a new front triangle. don't know if it's warranty but it looks from your post you are talking about a partial frame along with an angleset

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    you mentioned a new front triangle. don't know if it's warranty but it looks from your post you are talking about a partial frame along with an angleset
    "primarily to get a longer top tube"

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

banned
    Think about ordering the front triangle with a 1 degree slacker than stock angle, then use the Cane Creek HS...

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    Think about ordering the front triangle with a 1 degree slacker than stock angle, then use the Cane Creek HS...
    I was thinking that - except the angleset will allow me to play around with it.

I still haven't gotten pricing back from Foes, but they mentioned doing a partial trade in on my existing front triangle.

I wonder if iscg mounts fit on the FXR??

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

banned
    Mar 2010
    Just what in the hell is going on here?

Stay thirsty my friends
    First its a triangle, then its a headset.

Who knows.
    "Say good night to the bad guy."
    Tony Montana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_TE...eature=related

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    Magic. Cane Creek has a patent on it.
    ive heard it has something to do with unicorns and double rainbows.

Crazed Country Rebel

how do these work?

Update.

Custom front triangle. Longer TT, longer seat tube, 1.5" headtube.

Notice the forward shock mount is different, too.

Angleset is on order as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do Angle Sets work?-fxr-front-triangle-5-.jpg  

How do Angle Sets work?-fxr-ht-6-.jpg  

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    That is beautiful. Congrats
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

El Pollo Diablo
    Prolly a moot point now...
    but if you are going/already went custom for the front triangle, why not just have the head angle you're shooting for built into the geo?
    I can see going the route you did then being able to monkey with the HA via angleset, but that's about it?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    Prolly a moot point now...
    but if you are going/already went custom for the front triangle, why not just have the head angle you're shooting for built into the geo?
    I can see going the route you did then being able to monkey with the HA via angleset, but that's about it?
    It's all about being able to "monkey with it" as you said.

Options are GOOD!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do Angle Sets work?-fxr-st-tt-junction-4-.jpg  

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Alright, so imagine your 1.5" head tube, now imagine your 1.125" steer tube. Just like a asian trying to put it in a hooker, .
    dumbest comment ever...bit insecure are we?

you probably pay for Hookers just to get sex, or good chance you have never had it...

Beer Swilling Clyde
    you probably pay for Hookers just to get sex, or good chance you have never had it...[/QUOTE]

Why else would you pay one?

mtbr member
    I have no idea how that frame is going to perform, but visually those pics are quite stunning!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I have no idea how that frame is going to perform, but visually those pics are quite stunning!
    The suspension is unchanged from stock, so it will ride just like my current FXR- which I really like as an all around bike. It has 6.5" travel, and still pedals very well.

I am 6'4" tall, though and always felt a little cramped on their size large. I am looking forward to the longer top tube and being able to play around with the head angle.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Foes did that for you im assuming?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth
    Foes did that for you im assuming?
    Yup

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

www.derbyrims.com
    Looks flexy!

I've read that the Angle Set requires removing the head set anytime you want to change the steer tube angle, so not an adjustment possible to do without a headset tool, I guess.

Awesome metal work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derby

I've read that the Angle Set requires removing the head set anytime you want to change the steer tube angle, so not an adjustment possible to do without a headset tool, I guess.
    correct, the top cup needs to be removed in order to change the angle. their website says so too.
    thankfully my M9 has a pinch bolt for the upper cup to make removal easy.

mtbr member
    I recently installed an AngleSet in my Intense 6.6 and am really loving it. The ability to slacken by 1 deg, though I had my questions if I would really notice, has made a remarkable difference in the downhill stability on my local rocky and rooty trails. Note to installer though, the gimbals can be a real bugger to get tight w/out squeaks straight out of the box...we fiddled with it a couple of times after install (mid-ride) before it really seemed to settle. Great product though, not cheap, but a load cheaper than a new bike or custom frame. 4 rides since install and am really loving how it is working. BTW, Fox 36 air, RP23, basic AM setup, really good times!

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth
    correct, the top cup needs to be removed in order to change the angle. their website says so too.
    thankfully my M9 has a pinch bolt for the upper cup to make removal easy.
    It appears from the CC web site, AngleSet has no 0' angle option, to run the frame's designed head angle. Maybe 1/2 degree isn't really noticeable. Tweaking sag heights front to rear easily does as much to adjust handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It appears from the CC web site, AngleSet has no 0' angle option, to run the frame's designed head angle. Maybe 1/2 degree isn't really noticeable. Tweaking sag heights front to rear easily does as much to adjust handling.
    They do this because all their other headsets already do a 0 degree angle change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    there is a 0* option.
    i got one with my M9. it looks similar to the bottom cup, but is a bit different.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    you probably pay for Hookers just to get sex, or good chance you have never had it...
    Why else would you pay one?[/QUOTE]

the conversation most obviously!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This explains it pretty well.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by asin
    This explains it pretty well.

here's a good video on them.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    here's a good video on them.

here it is all built up. I need to clean up the cable routing, still. The new frame has different cable guides and routes - and required longer brake lines and such.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do Angle Sets work?-drive-side-fullcompressed.jpg  

How do Angle Sets work?-front-drive-sidecompressed.jpg  

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

banned
    Sweetness! Looks like you went with a -1 degree on the Angleset...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been exchanging emails with Cane Creek on this very subject. In order to run 0 degree, you need to purchase an additional 0 degree headset cup, part number
    AAA0196K.

lidless ascender
    Cane Creek is a 1 size fits all and easier install, but due to varying heat tube lengths you may end up with something different by a few fraction of degrees from what they say you will get, like you will have 1.4* or 1.6* when they advertise 1.5* (I dont know by what margin they can be off though).
    According to Cane Creek their angle calculations are based on a 120 mm headtube.It's easy to calculate angle changes for other length headtubes with a bit of trigonometry.For example: a 100 mm headtube with 1.5 degree cups will really make for a 1.8 degree change, a 140 mm headtube and said cups will make for a 1.3 degree change, and so on...

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Members who have read this thread: 0